Call of Cuthulu: Starter Game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 4, 2020 6:26 am
Greetings
Hello all, I ran the starter game for Call of Cuthulu for my friends in person in the past. It was a blast and I love the system. I am pretty busy these days so I was unsure if I wanted to run anything online here, but after seeing the interest for some other noir games come up on the site I thought there might be people who would want to play.

Proposal
So I'm proposing to run the starter Call of Cuthulu game: The Haunting. Its best for up to four investigators so I'll take four players, but if only 2-3 are interested I can jam with that. If you are new to the game and the system then that is fine it is the beginner game after all.

I am willing to help out anyone in figuring out how to play along the way so don't be intimidated if you are new and I may even prioritize those who have never played the system, but its open to anyone. The only caveat are those who have played this exact scenario before. If you have give others a chance but if this goes well I may run others in the future.

Getting Started
If you know nothing about CoC or if you need to be brushed up (which I will have to do as well), then use this resource:
Call of Cuthulu playlist, youtube
(I know its long but its so helpful and if you have never played before it is shorter than just reading the book or me explaining it).

If anyone has questions feel free to PM me or post them below. We will talk characters and whatnot when and if I get some interest and players. I do have an idea of how the setup will go and can provide the free starter materials so people can play this one without financially committing. Although if we play more after this one then I would ask that people do buy the game to support the makers.

Frequency
Full disclosure I am in medical school and need to study all the dang time, but I try not to take projects I cannot handle. Therefore I need grace if I end up being slow or even having to cut the game, but that is worst case scenario and the reason I am doing something familiar and that has a potential endpoint (IRL it would be a one-shot). However, I do intend to post around once a day. Maybe 6-8 times a week. Potentially more if it ends up not taking a lot of time. In the past I have managed studies and posting these kinds of things well so I am not worried.

Future
If the game goes well and the players are willing there is potential for me to run more scenarios with the same group. The beginner game can easily extend into future adventures. If it was taxing and I get busy then It will simply be its own contained scenario and that's fine too. If it wasn't fun then we can say that, and always feel free to criticize me its how I learn, and move on with our lives.

Conclusion
Feel free to post below or ask questions if you are interested in some good old fashioned, serious-toned, cosmic horror investigation.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.wccftech.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F10%2FWCCFcallofcthulhu7-1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
Sep 4, 2020 6:38 am
I'm definitely interested. I've played CoC before but not this scenario.
Sep 4, 2020 6:45 am
It's been years since I played CoC but I'm not rolling in any game at the moment, only GMing, so count me in. I will need a refresher on the basics; there's plenty of net access for that.
Sep 4, 2020 6:59 am
Definitely interested, been waiting for a Cthulu game to pop up. Would it be 7th Ed?
Sep 4, 2020 8:08 am
I'd love to give it a try!
Sep 4, 2020 12:57 pm
LightOfMidnight says:
Definitely interested, been waiting for a Cthulu game to pop up. Would it be 7th Ed?
Yes it would indeed be 7th ed. It's the only one I know, I hope that's alright.
Sep 4, 2020 12:58 pm
Okay, I will go ahead and whip up the game, do you Kae and Light have past experience like Mephisto and Slay have?
Sep 4, 2020 1:18 pm
A bit, though DM plays a little fast and loose with the rules. (Mostly on monsters side though) I have run a one-shot and have access to the rulebook.

And yeah 7th is the one I know,so that's great.
Last edited September 4, 2020 2:52 pm
Sep 4, 2020 1:34 pm
I’m waving my hand madly in the air to catch your attention. I’d love to be a part of this game
Sep 4, 2020 2:49 pm
I've played older versions of CoC, and have a lot of experience with d100 systems.
Sep 4, 2020 3:00 pm
I've never played CoC, but I would be willing to give it a go. I'm a little familiar with d100 systems (I have a tiny bit of experience playing Runequest and a variant of that called Mythras which were d100 games). Mostly based on skill percentage checks right? In any case, if you need another player I would certainly be willing to give it a go. The other game I was going to play fell through so I have a slot open.
Sep 4, 2020 8:06 pm
Okay so I have about 7 people who want to play. What I think I am going to do is run two parties of the game at the same time so that I can accommodate you all in a group of 3 and a group of 4. Both will be running the same scenario.

So as of now I can take only one more player. I think first come, first serve is the fairest way. I will invite those in this forum who have shown interest thus far. Thank you all.

Those of you invited or applied, once you get in go ahead and check out the session 0 forum.
Last edited September 4, 2020 8:17 pm
Sep 5, 2020 7:09 pm
Okay as of now the games are full. Thank you all for your interest.
Sep 6, 2020 11:05 pm
Welcome fellow keeper! Good to see more Cthulhu on Gp
Sep 14, 2020 2:14 am
Okay I am reopening some recruiting, in the second group I have two more spots if anyone is interested. Feel free to PM me or post below.
Sep 14, 2020 2:39 am
I'd really like playing if you still have a spot. I've been curious about Call of Cuthulu for a while and I'd love to try playing.
Sep 14, 2020 3:10 am
FoxRafer says:
I'd really like playing if you still have a spot. I've been curious about Call of Cuthulu for a while and I'd love to try playing.
Certainly, ill send you an invite to the game, it is Call of Cuthulu: The Haunting, p2
Last edited September 14, 2020 3:10 am
Sep 23, 2020 12:24 am
If you still have an opening, I'm interested. Haven't played CoC, but always wanted to try it.
Sep 23, 2020 12:54 am
ctme2000 says:
If you still have an opening, I'm interested. Haven't played CoC, but always wanted to try it.
If one opens up I'll keep you in mind, but we are fulled up now I'm afraid.
Oct 8, 2020 5:24 pm
I've wanted to play this one for a while, it a spot opens up I'd like a shot.

Thanks!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.