Interest Check: The Wildsea

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 11, 2020 7:22 pm
In this game, you can play a hive mind of spiders piloting a chainsaw-powered ship to fight gigantic squirrels.

With this out of the way, here's the longer pitch:
[ +- ] The Wildsea
[ +- ] The Wildsea
Some three hundred years ago the empires of the world were toppled by a wave of fast growing greenery, a tide of rampant growth spilling from the West. This event, the Verdancy, gave rise to the world you’ll explore as you play - a titanic expanse of rustling waves and sturdy boughs known as the Wildsea.

Now chainsaw-driven ships cut their way across dense treetop waves, their engines powered by oilfruit, ropegolems, honey and pride. Their crews are a motley, humanity's weathered descendants rubbing shoulders with cactoid gunslingers, centipedal poets and silkclothed spider-colonies, humanesque slugs with driftwood bones and other, stranger things. Each has a role and a reason to be out on the Wildsea, and it’s their stories - your stories - that this game is designed to tell.

The Wildsea hungers and grows, roots still questing down into the world’s depths as its waves ripple with life. Spits of ancient earth and the heights of old-world monuments now serve as ports, cities, farms and jails, each with their own laws and ways. The years after the Wildsea’s arrival were harsh, and by the time the arts of sailing and air travel were rediscovered most old cultures had splintered into new, often unrecognisable forms.

The Wildsea is an amazing upcoming RPG focused on adventures on the high seas, except that the seas are made from trees and inhabited by very strange creatures. It is very narrative and rather rules-light while still having enough rules to provide a framework to the storytelling.
I was planning to wait a bit longer before starting up any new games but since this game is heading to kickstarter very soon, it makes sense to run this game now. And my personal situation has calmed down enough that I should be able to handle the load of another game.

I am planning to run an adventure focused on a mix of action and horror dealing with some of the strangeness one might encounter on the Wildsea.
For that, I'm looking for two to three players who can commit to a near-daily schedule. For this game to run smoothly, I also require that players have Discord and are able to check it daily or at the very least react to mentions (The game itself will be played here on GP). I definitely understand that real life takes precedence over a game but I'm asking that only people apply who believe they can post most days for the foreseeable future.
With most of my games, I give a lot of freedom for players to dilly-dally and go completely off-course but with this one, I am going to try and keep us mostly focused on the plot. I definitely still encourage roleplaying and I will not railroad your decisionmaking but I am hoping we can keep up a good pace and a focus on the main goals of the adventure so that this game can be completed in a reasonable amount of time.
(If this sounds like I'm a horrible slavedriver now, please believe me that deep down I'm a nice person who just wants to have fun in a great system and setting 😉)

If I managed to get you interested, I have linked the most recent playtest version above. Have a look through the document and maybe already let me know a general idea of what you would be interested in playing (Just a first thought, you can always still change your mind later).
If I get more applications than I have room for in this game, I will choose players based on their application and (if applicable) on previous experiences with them and keep the others in mind for potential future games. That means, I am not filling slots on a First-Come-First-Serve basis so feel free to keep applying even if there are already enough applications in the thread.
Oct 11, 2020 7:35 pm
That is a fascinating idea, it kind of harkens back to the style of things like Gamma World [never got to play it, so I can't say anything about the mechanics, but it's got the same sort of world stylings]

I'm interested but I'm going to give the rules a look-through before I commit to anything, here's to hoping you can find the best possible players~
Oct 11, 2020 7:44 pm
I am very interested, though admit currently looking for a job so been some spotty on posting, as my mind have been consumed with other things . However with a discord or pm ping I can be reminded to post. I have the time, just need a poke occasionally atm.

Still very interested in the unique setting, and always good to try something before/while its about to Kickstarter to know if you wanna back.

Still I understand as you are specifically looking for fast paced that may not suit you, so understand you going for others before me.
Oct 11, 2020 8:37 pm
This looks very interesting and strange at the same time. I'm always willing to beta something but my time is weird, some days I have nothing but time on my hands and others I'm busy all day long so you'll have to put up with that.
Oct 11, 2020 9:29 pm
Looks cool, I'd love to see more, even if there is not space.
Oct 11, 2020 10:33 pm
You know me, I'm always up for a game.
Oct 11, 2020 10:45 pm
I can fulfill all of those requirements if you have space.
Oct 13, 2020 12:07 pm
I have created the game now. There's not much in there yet but I have sent out invitations to Emberskyes and Squadfather44, since I have played a lot with both of them and know I can rely on them for steady posting, as well as AutoEquestrianism for being first to reply and their perceived enthusiasm about the game. Link to the game is here

Everyone else, I'll keep you in mind and if I decide to run a second adventure in this system (which might or might not happen soon, we'll see), you'll be the first I'll contact about it.

I'll also link the official Wildsea Discord here (I got permission from Keleth to link it on the GP Discord, I hope that extends to this thread as well. If not, I'll delete it). If you're interested in seeing more of the game, you should check it out. There are multiple playtests (live over discord voice chat) happening there every week, so if that's something you're interested in, have a look!
Oct 22, 2020 4:44 pm
Alright, I have decided that I am willing and able to start up a second Wildsea game since there was a bunch of demand that I couldn't fill with one game and the system and setting are just too good to not let people try it out :D

Those that expressed interest but didn't get into the first game, let me know if you would still be interested and if we get at least three players, I will start up a second game.

LightOfMidnight, AvDc, saevikas, NormalRockwell, CESN
You are the people that applied the first time around but didn't get in then. I will limit this offer to you five for now. Five players is already above my usual comfort level as to number of players but I would be willing to let you all in if you're all still interested.

Let me know!
Oct 22, 2020 5:54 pm
I'm still interested.
Oct 23, 2020 2:51 pm
The second Wildsea game is up. I invited those that already replied back to me. The other two, feel free to just apply directly to the game.

As I mentioned before, I am keeping this game limited to those who already applied to my initial playtest but did not get in for now.
Last edited October 23, 2020 2:51 pm
Oct 25, 2020 4:38 am
Wow this looks cooler than I expected. If you're all full, please add me to a waiting list lol.
Oct 25, 2020 7:15 pm
Hey, nezzeraj. Both games are currently full but I will definitely keep you in mind in case I need a replacement player or start up another game.
Others who are interested in the game, feel free to also still post your interest in this thread as well and you'll be the first I'll contact when I open up another Wildsea game.

I'll also direct all interested people again to the Wildsea discord (I linked it above). There's almost daily live playtests over discord voicechat happening there.
Oct 25, 2020 8:00 pm
This effectively sounds like a very interesting universe, so I'd be glad to join a game when/if you start one. Not right now as I'm quite busy, but in a month or so would be good to me.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.