Asking for advice on the system for a game

Dec 7, 2020 5:54 pm
Hey everyone! :D I came here seeking some advice again!

I have a solo game concept that I wanted to play, but I can't decide on a system which would work best for it. Originally it was a test for my homebrew rules, but I wanted to see if there are any already existing systems that will match it well.

The basic idea is that the character starts with absolutely no skills/attributes/perks (or with their lowest values) and has to increase them by doing things. They learn skills by trying to perform corresponding actions, receiving experience even if they fail, increase attributes if they do a lot of activity of specific type (like a lot of physical exercise to up Strength?) and gain perks by completing specific requirements. Maybe it's supplemented by being taught by books or other characters as well. Progression that isn't tied to levels and happens during the entire game, with focus on learning with practice?

I can technically adapt any system to more or less work for it, I think, but I was curious if there were any RPGs with a similar experience system already in place. I don't know that many of them myself, and wasn't sure how to word it for a search. XD So I'll appreciate any hints!

Oh, and if it matters, it's not supposed to be a combat-focused game. More along the lines of a journey to a destination, with survival challenges on the way. Setting doesn't really matter either, though if the system doesn't assume characters are all human, that would be a plus! :D

Thanks for reading! :)
Last edited December 7, 2020 5:55 pm
Dec 7, 2020 6:09 pm
Hi there

I've been doing that for years, depending on the game.

Usually, on those systems, one die is used to resolve the action, the second die increases the xp of the skill.
That way, the skill is progressing while playing, which encourages players to usd the skills they want to rise up.
And if the xp gets to a certain landing, then the skill's level goes up by one.

And as you said, it's not just about combat skills, but all of those.

Works fine :)
Last edited December 7, 2020 6:09 pm
Dec 7, 2020 6:15 pm
I think Roll for Shoes fits? It's very, very rules lite though, so you'll probably have to add your own subsystems. It also lends itself to more ridiculous off the wall games.
Dec 7, 2020 6:42 pm
Mouse Guard uses a system where in order to increase a skill you have to succeed and fail with it a certain number of times. For instance, improving a skill rating from 3 to 4 requires 3 successful attempts and 2 failed attempts. That's the simplest "learn by doing" mechanic I've seen, though it requires you to regulate when and how often PCs are allowed to roll for things if you don't want sessions to turn into Elder Scrolls-style grinding sessions.
Dec 7, 2020 7:15 pm
Sounds like how an old game Element Master did increasing skills by use.
Dec 7, 2020 7:19 pm
Call of Cthulhu is easy to use for solo games. I think some other systems that work well are Mythic (designed for use without GM), also combining Mythic with your favorite game system is popular as well. I often combine Mythic with Gamma World Alternity and sometimes Dungeon Crawl Classics or Mutant Crawl Classics. Ultimately it's up to you, I've even combined Mythic with HARP, Mythras (various settings including M-Space) and another popular combo Savage Worlds.
Dec 7, 2020 7:22 pm
It depends on how much detail you want. The original basic roleplaying (BRP) has it that when you use a skill you mark it and at the end you roll against the skill to see if it increases. let's say your skill is at 20% and you use it. Then at the end of the adventure you roll above 20% the skill increases. This means low skill improve faster but as you get better it takes longer and is harder to increase as you need to roll above the skill to improve it.
Dec 7, 2020 7:23 pm
Recently played a version of Dungeon Crawl Classics. I found that I really disliked the magic system in it.
Dec 7, 2020 8:43 pm
Thank you for all your responses! There are much more systems like this than I expected. :0 And a lot to muse about.
Delio says:
Usually, on those systems, one die is used to resolve the action, the second die increases the xp of the skill.
That way, the skill is progressing while playing, which encourages players to usd the skills they want to rise up.
And if the xp gets to a certain landing, then the skill's level goes up by one.
Wow, I haven't considered rolling a second die specifically for experience! It sounds very interesting. Do I understand it correctly, the result on the EXP die is the amount of EXP you get - so, you'll always get at least 1?
saevikas says:
I think Roll for Shoes fits? It's very, very rules lite though, so you'll probably have to add your own subsystems. It also lends itself to more ridiculous off the wall games.
I checked it out, it looks quite fitting! I usually dislike randomized experience gain, but it does seem to offset it with the failure experience at least. Though it certainly is very lite. XD Thank you for the recommendation!
Kaigen says:
Mouse Guard
It sounds pretty good, thank you for the rec! ( Also, a game about mice? I love RPGs with animals, so double thanks for that! :D) Maybe a bit weird that you might end up in a situation when you need to fail to improve, but it does make sense at the same time. Is it hard to make characters that aren't mice/rodents in it?
GeneCortess says:
Sounds like how an old game Element Master did increasing skills by use.
I'll need to look into it more, I couldn't find a lot of info with a quick search. Probably because it's old? But thanks for recommendation anyway! :D (Is your second post in the wrong thread, perhaps?)
umbraldragon says:
Call of Cthulhu is easy to use for solo games.
I don't think Call of Cthulhu uses progression like I described? At least I believe it doesn't from what I read about it? Correct me if I am wrong, though!
Viking1031 says:
It depends on how much detail you want. The original basic roleplaying (BRP) has it that when you use a skill you mark it and at the end you roll against the skill to see if it increases. let's say your skill is at 20% and you use it. Then at the end of the adventure you roll above 20% the skill increases. This means low skill improve faster but as you get better it takes longer and is harder to increase as you need to roll above the skill to improve it.
That... sounds very fitting for what I had in mind! When you can become good quickly, but for mastery you might need much longer? Thank you for the recommendation, I shall take a longer look at it! :D
Dec 7, 2020 8:53 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
It sounds pretty good, thank you for the rec! ( Also, a game about mice? I love RPGs with animals, so double thanks for that! :D) Maybe a bit weird that you might end up in a situation when you need to fail to improve, but it does make sense at the same time. Is it hard to make characters that aren't mice/rodents in it?
The conceit is that if your characters aren't failing, they aren't pushing themselves to tackle new challenges (it's been argued you learn more from failure than from success, after all). The game helps out with that by encouraging GMs to set high obstacle numbers and giving players tools to hinder their characters' own efforts.

The game is pretty focused on being what it is, a game about mice survivalists, but people have hacked it for other kinds of characters and stories. Since you're talking about a game that's "journey to a destination with survival challenges on the way," you probably wouldn't have to change much aside from the PC's basic Nature, which gives them an edge when doing things that come naturally to mice. That, and reskin a few of the challenges, since some of them are based around the fact that mice are tiny and other animals/natural obstacles are big.
Dec 7, 2020 9:11 pm
Quote:

FlyingSucculent says:
[Usually, on those systems, one die is used to resolve the action, the second die increases the xp of the skill.
And if the xp gets to a certain landing, then the skill's level goes up by one.]
Wow, I haven't considered rolling a second die specifically for experience! It sounds very interesting. Do I understand it correctly, the result on the EXP die is the amount of EXP you get - so, you'll always get at least 1?
Yup, that's the idea. The point is: you can learn from any experience, success or failure, you can learn from it.

Though, you could learn more from a failure than from a success, so you could say that when it's a failure, the XP you gain for the skill is the difference between the action die result and the difficulty level, plus the XP die. I don't do that, i want to keep it simple and fast. But you could.

I have to say that all my systems are based on "Attribute + Skill + Dice >= Difficulty" as a resolution.
Last edited December 7, 2020 9:12 pm
Dec 7, 2020 9:18 pm
@Kaigen

My character is also an animal (a fantasy tiger), so Nature probably will be easy to tweak by just giving bonuses to different actions that come naturally to them - if I understand how it works correctly. :D And I like the idea of having a high obstacle number too, survivalistic challenges are what I wanted to be the main point of the game alongside character progression.

Thank you again for all the info! I'll definitely consider trying it out with Mouse Guard.
Last edited December 7, 2020 9:18 pm
Dec 7, 2020 9:22 pm
@Delio

I like the sound of this system! Quite simple and functional.

And I think it might actually work with others mentioned here! Since most of them only increase skills with their own mechanics, maybe I can add your method as a way to increase attributes? Like, rolling a dice for attribute exp with skills that use corresponding attribute. That way attributes can grow with more stability, but slower! :D

Thank you for the idea!
Last edited December 7, 2020 9:23 pm
Dec 7, 2020 9:29 pm
If you want the whole scale, I usually go for 100x Next Level for Skill XP, and 200 or 300x Next Level for Attribute XP (same die by the way, and if the action is a critical success, the XP die counts twice).
Scale goes from 1 to 10 or 12 for Attributes, from 0 to 10 or 12 for Skills.

Something like that. If you want the XP gain to be faster, then 75x for Skill, 150x for Attribute.

My pleasure :)
Dec 8, 2020 12:50 am
To continue on Delio's idea, if the system is a roll under to succeed, perhaps just the die you rolled for your skill could also serve double duty for XP, that way a failed skill (a roll over the TN) would grant more XP, as per the "you learn more from a failure" philosophy... Plus, that's one less die to roll...
Last edited December 8, 2020 12:50 am
Dec 8, 2020 10:30 pm
@Delio
I like that you use 100s for this, so it's easy to calculate. Thank you again, it really is a nice system!

@kalajel
That's an interesting thought. I only have experience with systems where you need to roll higher, but for them it can be dice max minus roll result. Though this way makes it more appealing to fail not-very-important rolls, too... Although if I'm my own GM, it probably doesn't matter. Thank you for the idea! :D
Last edited December 8, 2020 10:31 pm
Dec 8, 2020 10:54 pm
Pleasure to share :)

Have fun (don't hesitate to give us feedback on what you test, it can be interesting)
Dec 9, 2020 2:09 am
Mouse Guard is of course a derivative of the Burning Wheel (which someone started up a couple games of recently). Which itself employs a "use it or lose it" advancement system.

Blades in the Dark also has a take on it that's worth checking out.
Dec 9, 2020 3:49 am
Call of Cthulhu came before BRP, hence the similar advancement. Here you go:

When an investigator successfully uses a skill in play, the player should check the box beside that skill on the investigator sheet. This gives the investigator a chance to learn from experience. No tick is earned if the roll used a bonus die. In the case of an opposed roll, both sides may achieve a level of success, but only one will win, and only the winner may tick their skill.

Succeeding at something you are not good at is difficult; however, successfully using the skill probably means that the investigator learns from the experience. Conversely, being expert at something guarantees success most of the time, yet that high skill means the investigator is unlikely to learn further. It gets progressively harder to add percentiles to a skill.

If the player rolls higher than the current skill number, or the result is over 95, then the investigator improves in that skill: roll 1D10 and immediately add the result to the current skill points. Skills may rise above 100% by this method.

If the player rolls equal to or less than the investigator’s skill level, then the investigator hasn’t learned from the ex-
perience and the skill amount does not change.

Repeat the procedure for all the skills that been checked, then erase all skill checks on the investigator sheet. Skills can be checked again during the next game session as they are used successfully.
Dec 10, 2020 5:44 pm
emsquared says:
Blades in the Dark also has a take on it that's worth checking out.
I'll make sure to look at it, thanks! :D

@umbraldragon
Thank you for the details! It's a bit hard to figure out without knowing the system too well, but I think I grasp the concept from your explanation; It really does seem like BRP! Interesting idea that skills can raise more than 100%, too... weird but interesting. :D
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.