FU: Freeform Universal RPG

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 11, 2020 7:40 pm
Hello everyone,
I'm wondering how well more rules-light systems (or narrative-focused systems) are received here on GP. Specifically I would like to run a game using the free FU: Freeform RPG system. FU: Freeform RPG Link

The reason I like this is mostly because it is FREE and lends itself to run a homebrew setting idea I have.

I see there are some games like FATE and maybe a few PbtA games being ran and played, but do you think this would go over well here?

I'm mostly interested in free games out there for ease of access.

Thanks!
Last edited December 11, 2020 7:41 pm
Dec 11, 2020 7:42 pm
That type of game is definitely welcome here. People play lots of smaller systems and I think the general trend on here (aside from 5e), tends to be more to the lighter than the heavier side.
And free games are also always popular ;)
Dec 11, 2020 7:47 pm
That's great! I've heard both arguments. One being that "crunchier" systems are fine because there is more time to figure things out in a PBP format, but I've also heard that the rules-heavy games (especially with lots of tactical options) tend to realllllyyyyy get bogged down.

But, thanks! That is encouraging.

I think I'll stick more towards the FU: Freeform, FATE/FAE, Savage Worlds type deals. Maybe also take a look at BESM.
Dec 11, 2020 8:03 pm
I think many kinds of systems lend themselves well to PBP, even the heavier ones like Pathfinder 2e as long as the group is committed and posting regularly. There are certain things you can do to mitigate excessive back and forth posting, like rolling for damage in the same post as an attack, and not waiting to see if the roll was successful or not. I have been a player and a GM in PF2 games and it seems to work well.
Dec 11, 2020 8:25 pm
Windyridge says:
I think many kinds of systems lend themselves well to PBP, even the heavier ones like Pathfinder 2e as long as the group is committed and posting regularly. There are certain things you can do to mitigate excessive back and forth posting, like rolling for damage in the same post as an attack, and not waiting to see if the roll was successful or not. I have been a player and a GM in PF2 games and it seems to work well.
Thanks! :)
Dec 11, 2020 8:31 pm
FU looks so simple that I don’t think you will have trouble getting players interested for a quick run.
I heard rumours that Bowl (above) ran a Lasers&Feelings game successfully and you can’t really get more basic than that system-wise ;)
Dec 11, 2020 10:39 pm
Yeah there have been L&F games on here. Most games will get a couple of people interested. The hook is more important than the system for most people.
Dec 11, 2020 11:07 pm
Machiabelly says:
Yeah there have been L&F games on here. Most games will get a couple of people interested. The hook is more important than the system for most people.
Hey, wanna join my game?
[ +- ] The Hook

You do not have permission to post in this thread.