Gods at Play

Dec 19, 2020 5:11 pm
It's been a while since I posted something. Life's too hectic at the moment to roleplay so in the meanwhile I worldbuild :p

So I'm making a setting that is LitRPG, a fantasy world that has game-like elements imposed on it by the gods. I've been doing some brainstorming here and there, so far so good. But I'm struggling a bit with figuring out my races. I have a good hand full but I could use a little inspiration for more if you don't mind.

There are 8 worlds each with their own theme, inspired by the elements; Fire, Lava, Earth, Plant, Water, Ice, Wind, and Lightning. In this setting however, evolution isn't a thing. Races are created when gods just plop them down somewhere and watch them interact with the world. Think like Adam and Eve, 2 grown people learning to be mortals and then they have babies, and those babies have more babies, etc... So it's okay in this case if races seem weird on an evolutionary scale. I want to avoid making them look too alien though, I'd like to stick with the fantasy theme.

P.S: Oh, one more thing half breeds do exist but they are only half human half something else. No other combinations are possible.

Sethis is a desert world with other hot biomes like savannah, canyons, jungles, etc... So I'm looking for races that might survive in a hot climate world where water is scarce. This world doesn't have oceans only some lakes and oasis. Some ideas I had for this one; Anubis, Gnoll, kobolds, Cobrafolk,...Not sure if I'll keep them or not, for now it's just ideas until I settle on one or a few. I'm leaning on keeping the Gnolls.

Pangea is basically Dinotopia inspired. A world where dinosaurs still exist so the land and animals are prehistoric inspired that includes mammoths and sabertooth and such. Race ideas; Apemen (think planet of the apes), ... That's all I got. Maybe I can add some dino types or lizardmen? What do you guys think?

Hollow is Insectopia inspired. I thought it would be cool to have an underground-giant insect theme. The surface world looks like a rocky termite hill, hence why most of life takes place underneath it all. These are the races I decided on keeping; Pangolin, Mothmen, Spiderfolk. But I don't know if I should add more?

Annwyn was fairytale inspired. It's basically lots of forest, hills, mushroom forests, etc... Something that makes you think faeries and leprechaun might live here. These are also races I decided to keep; Unicornmen, Minotaurs, and Satyrs. What else do you guys think I could add?

Okeanus is a water world with some islands here and there. It's got a tropical atmosphere, some mermaids and pirates vibe as well. Some race ideas I had were; Pantherfolk, Axolotl (that cute pink salamander fish with the fuzzy ears), Water elves (humanoids that can live in both water and land), Mermaids, ....What else?

Midgard is your classic viking setting and for races I can only think of Jotun (blue skinned giants). What other races might be able to live in a cold land?

Fujin is a floating islands with a cloud sea world. I had the idea that the races that live here all found a way to deal with the fact that their world floats. So some use airships while others might use flying mounts, or some might even have the ability to fly themselves? Some ideas; Oni?, Kitsune?, Tengu?, Dragonfolk?...they don't have to be asian inspired... it sort of happened :P

And then finally Blight, a magic corrupted wasteland, nature is polluted and warped, etc... I have Humans here but my humans also have a nomadic culture due to them being seen as the villains of my setting. They were mostly blamed for an apocalyptic event in the past. So they were chased of to this dying world while others maintain a nomadic lifestyle in the opther worlds. But I can't think of other fantasy creatures that might fit a magic corrupted wasteland...Maybe slimes? Ratmen?
Dec 19, 2020 6:34 pm
Just asking as I read it, but have you though to look around Magic The Gathering's creatures' types ?

I can think of some types that would fit perfectly into a magic corrupted wasteland, Praetors for example.
Last edited December 19, 2020 6:35 pm
Dec 19, 2020 6:40 pm
I haven't, I'll go check it out. Thanks :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.