Interest check: Dune - Desertfall

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 12, 2021 12:46 pm
Any Dune fans out there?

I thinking about running the review scenario Desertfall for the upcoming Dune: Adventures in the Imperium rpg. The game is out sometime in the spring, but there is a review that comes with the preorder. I really want to try it out to get a hang of the system and rules while waiting for the proper game to come out.

The idea is to run the scenario that comes with the preview to get an understanding of how the rules work, have meta discussions ooc about the game. At the moment the game is limited to one scenario and pregenerated characters (although some modifications to the characters could be possible).

I’m also hoping get people together who would be interested in playing dune when the game come out. So you are excited about this game give a heads up here. As this is the most anticipated game in both 2020 and 2021 in an ENworld survey, I suspect a few here is looking forward to it?

I’m hoping to have a couple of players onboard who have read the preview, so we can discuss rules and stuff along the way. Like I said I regard this game as a try out. It is no problem if you have already read through the scenario, we will just mix it up a bit then.
I’ll DM, but I have no experience in DMing in pbp games, so if someone with more experience wants to DM I will be happy to be a player.

Let me know if you are interested.

-Stefron
Jan 12, 2021 1:31 pm
Interesting. I enjoyed the first book immensely in my youth but read none of the sequels. Disliked both screen adaptations but am warily optimistic about the upcoming one.

What are the rules like? I am fairly new to TTRPGs and not well-versed in different game systems at all. D&D 5th Edition is the limit of my experience so far but am willing to learn.
Jan 12, 2021 1:42 pm
I ran the playtest here for a couple people last summer. It's a modified more freeform version of their 2d20 system.

Basically you pair two traits together, and the sum is your target number. So if you paired Power with Battle, and they were rated 4 and 7, your TN would be 11. Then you roll 2 d20s and each result equal to or below your TN is a success. You can critical these dice two in which case they count as two successes. Characters have talents and what have you for additional unique abilities.

The rules in the playtest were fairly simply, just the basic mechanics needed for the sample adventure.
Jan 12, 2021 1:44 pm
It is Modiphius' 2d20 system like Star Trek Adventures and Conan. The system itself is simple for skill checks, but it has three different kinds of points for players and GM to spend for different effects. And it has some either very simple or very complex rules for conflict (combat etc). I'm hoping to learn the system myself by playing it.

Edit: Ninja'd by Quralloq. What did you think about the conflict rules?
Last edited January 12, 2021 1:50 pm
Jan 12, 2021 1:47 pm
Dune fan here! I also had access to the playtest but didn't get a chance to run it. Very much up for joining you @Stefron
Jan 12, 2021 1:55 pm
Cool, therecusant.
ancient.astronaut.64, does the system appeal to you?
Jan 12, 2021 2:57 pm
Yes I’m willing to try it if you’ll have me.Thank you for th explanation, @Stefron and @Qralloq!
Jan 12, 2021 3:44 pm
I'm in a metric ton of games so take anyone else first, but if you need an extra body to get this going, I'm both interested and available.
Jan 12, 2021 5:03 pm
Thank you for standing by, Qralloq. 3-4 players would be nice. I'll wait to see if more wants to join. I hope there is a lot of interest in this community.
You are on, ancient.astronaut
Jan 12, 2021 5:45 pm
I'm quite interested in the upcoming Dune game. Right now I'm at capacity but things should settle down February-ish.
Jan 12, 2021 10:33 pm
GreyGriffin. I would like to start the game as soon as possible. Would you like to join or wait for a later game?
Jan 13, 2021 2:30 am
This sounds interesting to me. I’d sign up.
Jan 13, 2021 7:55 am
Great, Aegis

So three players so far: therecusant, ancient.astronaut.64 and Aegis
I will set up the game soon and send out invites.
Qralloq, I've got enough players to start the gameif you prefer to pass on it. You are however very welcome, and I hope we can do a game when the corebook is out.
GreyGriffin, there is a seat for you if you want.

Also there are room for more players if other Dune fans want to take part.
Jan 13, 2021 12:46 pm
The game is up. Link here. I've send out invites
Dune - Desertfall
Last edited January 13, 2021 12:47 pm
Jan 13, 2021 12:57 pm
"Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people."
Jan 18, 2021 6:13 pm
Do you have room for one more? I am big fan Dune and I would love to try this.
Jan 18, 2021 7:47 pm
Sure. You got the last seat in the game. I'll send you an invite.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.