Interest check - Extracausal: Treslepus

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 15, 2021 2:11 am
https://i.imgur.com/XzcQlQr.jpg

Extracausal: Treslepus a game about investigating anomalous science, mystifying occultism and unearthly paranormal phenomena. It's about the balance between understanding the truths hidden in the darkness and being changed by them. That which does not kill you makes you stranger.

PCs are investigators and field operatives for the Treslepus Society, a venerable and mysterious organisation dedicated to researching, cataloguing and sharing the secrets beneath the skin of the world, and defending against harmful incursions of unnatural forces. I've created a setting primer and tone document you can read here.

Inspirations: Dark*Matter (RPG); Fringe (TV); Control (video game); the Magnus Archives (podcast); SCP Foundation (collaborative fiction wiki).

Genre/Tone: Paranormal investigation, mystery, conspiracy, science fiction. While it has elements of horror, these are counterbalanced by wonder and a hint of optimism – this isn't Call of Cthulhu, where confronting the unknown is inherently corrosive and leads inevitably to madness, failure and death.

System: The Extracausal system, a slim little number based on the Trophy RPG engine. I'd place it as between the level of the Window and Fate Accelerated in terms of complexity, simple enough that I can probably explain everything you need to create a character and teach the system as we go.

Players Sought: 3-4.

Post Rate: ~2-3 per week.

Expected Length: We'll start with a one-shot, The Devil Went Down To Devon involving the investigation of a cryptid in south-eastern England, with the potential to continue the adventures of the characters if things go well.
Feb 15, 2021 2:46 am
Sounds intriguing! I’d like to toss my hat in the ring.
Feb 15, 2021 3:01 am
Since it’s a low post rate, and I love paranormal stuff, I’d be interested!
Last edited February 15, 2021 3:06 am
Feb 16, 2021 4:08 am
I've always been a fan of Call of Cthulhu but always had difficulty getting past the overweening terror that I was supposed to feel. I think I've played similar games whose names are not coming quickly to mind. I like the idea of relatively simple rules. There are a lot of games out there, like City of Myst, that are overly difficult especially for an old fart like me. Put me down for a spot in your game.
Feb 16, 2021 8:08 pm
All right, that's a good crop: welcome Lefty Lovecraft, Harrigan, Aquafina and Aldrusian. invites have been sent or requests accepted, as appropriate.

Thank you to everyone else who applied!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.