Rangers of Shadow Deep, anyone?

Feb 16, 2021 1:46 am
Hey gamersplaners!

So, as I have had less and less time in my life to play, much less plan, full blown rpg campaigns, I have started looking to skirmish wargames and the options and viability out there for using th at gaming-medium to simulate or paralleling the rpg hobby...

This search brought me ultimately to Rangers of Shadow Deep.

It's a skirmish wargame, yes, but it is designed to be played cooperatively - so, you're playing WITH your friends not AGAINST them, and it's scenarios and missions follow a serialized campaign structure, and focus on storytelling and atmosphere, in addition to clue finding (along with the standard treasure hunting, murder-fest).

Anyone else here have the game?

And now that I'm dabbling in it IRL, I've of course also started wondering about it's viability for PbP...

:P
Feb 16, 2021 2:01 am
Yes I have it and it inspired me to make scenery and paint minis. It's well done and fun to play. I didn't know anything about PbP at the time, but maybe.
Feb 16, 2021 2:40 am
Nice. I like minis, but I hate painting minis... and so one of the things I liked about it was that it wasn't all stuffy about minis like Warhammer can be. But I did get more interested in terrain (even got some foam carving tools 😳).
Sep 2, 2022 12:34 pm
So did you try it in the end? Did you found a way to play it PbP/on-line in async mode? If not: with what skirmish system did you end? Are you playing something right now?

I' very curious, because for quite some time now I'm thinking about combining some RPG system with skirmish system. One - of course for narrative aspect, the second for the fluid fight. I really liked what I have seen in Frosgrave rules - and wanted to add to it more RP aspects.

Recently I'm considering mixing Ironsworn: Starforged with Stargrave... but haven't have time to sit to it so far. Any insights?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.