Chapter 1: The Knaves Visit the Spudfields

Mar 3, 2021 7:34 am
When the four weary travelers came within sight of an old and dilapidated roadhouse, it was cause for considerable excitement. They had been too long on the muddy and unmaintained road east, too many nights without a roof o'er their heads, too uncertain of what laid before them, and what came behind.

The Bellowing Bear, the worn and once colorful sign read, and not one of those companions hesitated before going inside for a hot meal and the promise of the first restful sleep in more than a fortnight. After they greeted the owner and the few locals present who were talking quietly and drinking in that dim, smoky room full of benches and rough-hewn tables, the quartet got down to the business of eating a hot potato stew, one flavored with onions and a bit of chicken. It was delicious, and brought to them by the cook, a hunched man with a squint, a scarred bald head and an unwillingness or inability to speak.

"And where are you all goin'," the spindly proprietor Ogden asks, while at the same time hefting earthenware pitchers of both ale and what was surely a terrible wine. "An' more importantly, what're ye drinkin'?"
OOC:
Introduce your characters! What do they look like? Tell us a little about what they think of the trip so far, about the fact that they might actually sleep indoors tonight, about who might be chasing them, and any other concerns they might have.

Remember there are a few setting details here if you need them.
Mar 3, 2021 12:45 pm
"Ophirae. And I'll have whatever the local wine is," Audree says in her mellifluous voice. She could have been a world-renowned singer if she wasn't also tone-deaf. She couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, but many a man (and fair share of women) loved to hear her talk.

Audree untied her kerchief and let her filthy hair tumble down around her bony face. She really should wash it first, but after days on the road she wanted to relax a bit. She would also need to wash her flamboyant and colorful clothes. The way she wore them on her stout but well-muscled body made her look like a peacock who swallowed a bear. Maybe this place will have baths, she thought.
Mar 3, 2021 12:53 pm
Elius was relieved to settle for a little bit in a civilized place. The last stop in a while probably.
But at least the trip was pleasant, and it was fun to play dice and cards every evening. Audree was very lively during these occasions, it reminded him of his past travels in the high seas. What a time it was. But it was another life indeed.
Though he still didn't understand why instead of waking up in his cabin three months ago, he woke up with many other sailors in a dark chapel with a loosely tied rope around his ankles. Someone was haranguing loudly, speaking of war and Elius left at the first opportunity, taking advantage of the loose watch.
He still had his nice mariner coat but he missed the sea.
At least, he found a group of down-on-their-lucks nobodies like him and until now they had been alright.

"Ale for me" he says in a dry and unpleasant sound, clumsily moving his aging body toward a stool.
Last edited March 3, 2021 1:02 pm
Mar 4, 2021 12:58 pm
Clomm peered around his taller compatriots as they entered the tavern, trying to get a sense of the place. His boyish face was expressionless despite his intense curiosity (and hope) that the food was good. His stomach grumbled eagerly, and he shuffled his rotten boots and cleared his throat to cover the noise. Clomm couldn’t stand being perceived as weak.

He ran his fingers through his thick curly mohawk, which sprung back up — giving him a few extra inches of "much needed" height. As they walked through the Bear and were eventually seated, the stiff collar of his bloodstained and too big gambeson (the man who died in it was a whole head taller than Clomm) chafed against his neck. He subconsciously pulled it down as he nestled against the table.

He judged the other diners around the inn; more importantly judged what they were eating. He never chose to be a cook, but he had a damn fine knack for it. He was always alert to anyone who might make a better meal than he could. As the stew was plopped down in front of him — a hearty concoction of chicken and potatoes — he was begrudgingly impressed and ate it quickly. Despite his small stature he ran hot, and his unusually thick torso belied that he weighed nearly as much as a man a foot taller.

"Whatever’s free," he mumbled over a slurp of his stew.
Last edited March 4, 2021 12:59 pm
Mar 4, 2021 8:08 pm
Filling Watters' cup with a dark red fluid made by a local farmer who'd found a patch of wild grapes and dabbled in wine-making, Ogden then measures two pours of the frothy, pale beer he brews himself, grinning crookedly at Clomm as he finishes. "Free?" he says with a snort. "Nothing's free, mate. You've some coppers in them pants you took off someone, I trust. Someone bigger n'you, looks. You're the wily one o' this crew, I'd wager. I've my eye on you."

Suddenly, it's apparent that Ogden has, in fact, one good eye -- the other, slightly milky, points off to the side.

Before the fourth traveler can voice his preference for a beverage, another voice joins the conversation, a mustachioed man with a high forehead, dark, slicked-back hair and quite a pointed nose. In the man's hand a pair of bone dice click softly, and he admonishes the owner of the Bellowing Bear. "Ogden, are you trying to drive off the first travelers we've seen since the last moon? You wouldn't last a day in a village where another innkeeper knew how to treat his patrons."

"Well then I'll count myself lucky the Bear here is the only game in town, then," the proprietor says, looking at Endrei, waiting for the big man to speak up or simply gesture.

"Well speaking of games," the man with the oily hair and the thin mustache says as he gets to his feet, "do any of you gentlemen -- or the lady -- throw dice? Care for a friendly wager?"
OOC:
Not to preempt your response, Endrei... I think you still have lots of room to respond here.
Mar 4, 2021 11:56 pm
"I'm afraid all of my coin is going towards this meal and a good room tonight. I have a pair of dice I can wager..." Audree tries not to appear too eager as she hopes she can pawn off the haunted dice to this man. She couldn't throw them away since they always mysteriously turned back up in her belongings, but if the guy won the dice fair and square...
Mar 5, 2021 12:22 am
Endrei thrust his feet out beneath the table, and they emerged on the far side, up to his great, bony ankles. It had been a long trudge to get this far, and his feet ached. He was grateful for the bench beneath his bottom, which, while stiff as the boards from which it was fashioned, was a fair sight better than the meager bedroll that had been afforded him in the camp of King Markos' army. He was also grateful for the soup, especially as there had been no discussion about how much, or indeed whether, they must pay for it. The brute huddled over his bowl and spooned softened potatoes into his maw.

Endrei had arrived at the Bellowing Bear more by chance than design. He'd decided that the army life was not for him, and that he would register his displeasure by abandoning his watch in the dark of one quiet and opportune night. If the army was marching west, why then Endrei would march east, and peace be with you, sir. He'd fallen in with the others along the road, and learned from them that employment might be had in distant Ophirae. At the moment, Endrei cared only that Ohpirae was not back the way he had come.

When the innkeeper offered drink, Endrei merely waved at the ale flagon with his free hand and slapped the table, still spooning soup with the other. At the mention of coppers, the big man leaned forward and wolfed his food down faster, like a dog whose find might at any moment be snatched away.
Last edited March 5, 2021 12:23 am
Mar 5, 2021 4:18 am
Clomm grumbled something about keeping eyes off of him, but he only continued to eat his soup. As the stranger approached with the dice, the short cook shifted his satchel instinctively; it held his only prized possession, a massive book that granted him magical power and extreme luck. He’d rather not even be tempted to gamble it away, but... maybe he could use it?

The flickering flame in the inn highlighted his deeply scarred pocks as he contemplated how he could pay for this stew and a room for the night.
OOC:
Is there an obvious kitchen?
Mar 5, 2021 7:26 am
"Dice?" the greasy stranger said as he reached the table. "Well that would be something, wagering a pair of dice in a game of dice!"

When no one laughed at his humor, the man pulled up a chair and placed his six-sided, ivory-colored gaming pieces on the worn tabletop. "Hungry lot," he commented as at least two of the travelers seemed to be focused on putting away as much stew as they could. Four shining copper coins appeared near the edge of the table, seemingly just with a pass of the man's hand.

"I've a coin for each of you," he went on, clearly ignoring Audree. "All you need do is roll higher than me, it's yours."

Ogden was back behind the bar, close to the open door which led to the kitchen, which looked better lit than the low-ceilinged common room. The hearth took up one whole corner of the place, and looked to have an oven that opened to the kitchen on the other side of the wall. "Don't you be robbing them that needs to pay of all their worldly goods, Theo. That's a copper for a place on the floor tonight by the fire, your four, and two a day for your meals while you're here."

"I'm offering some of them means to pay, I think," Theo said with a smile.

Several others in the Bellowing Bear looked over now, interested to see what might unfold. There was an old man in the corner who had previously looked asleep, a man and a woman enjoying a bowl of stew as they chances looks towards the group, and an overweight, middle-aged man with lank grey hair and an unruly beard. He lacked a mustache and as a result his upper lip looked tall and constantly disapproving; on his head he wore a broad-rimmed hat, and seemed to look on with a skeptical eye.
OOC:
We're switching tenses a bit here, or at least I am. Anyone have a preference / married to first or third person past tense? And yes, there is indeed a visible kitchen.
Mar 5, 2021 7:41 am
OOC:
I prefer present tense, but not married to it. Present tense feels more immediate and participating as events are unfolding rather than narrating stuff that's already happened.
"I'll take you up on your offer. I assume we will be using your dice?"
Mar 5, 2021 7:42 am
"Color me interested!" Elius says in a loud rasp.
He had planned to feign naivety, but the prospect of a free warm meal with alcohol was sending shivers to his spine and his scheming gears were already going into motion. After all, he only had 2 coppers left.
"But what if you win?"
OOC:
I edited my post because I began writing it before Harrigan's answer.
Apparently I failed at rolling the dice with the modifier, apologies.
Regarding tenses, I think both may have a place? I didn't notice while reading your posts. In my case, I try to use third person present, but that may not be extremely consistent.
Last edited March 5, 2021 8:12 am

Rolls

Purse - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Mar 6, 2021 12:20 am
Endrei ignored the mustachioed fellow. Anyone who could conjure coins out the air was not someone Endrei wanted to throw dice with. Instead, as he ate-- and ate-- the giant stole a sidelong glance at the other patrons whose attention had been attracted by a wager in the offing.

Endrei's eye lingered on the man with the broad-rimmed hat and broadly disapproving lip. No gambler, that one. Endrei wondered if the local might have similar compunctions about welcoming strangers. Especially those meditating how to shirk payment for their porridge.
OOC:
I don't have a strong preference as to tense. Past tense is more comfortable for me, and feels more novelistic; present tense can be a little more awkward, but feels more game-like. I'm happy to write in either.
Last edited March 6, 2021 12:40 am
Mar 6, 2021 1:26 am
Clomm’s eyes glazed over as he tried to pay close attention to the gamble at hand, but without looking like he was paying too close attention.
Mar 7, 2021 5:33 pm
"All right, good!" the lank-haired man says to Audree and Elius. Nodding at both of them, he places a pair of bone-colored dice on the wooden surface in front of him. "Just put your wagers on the table, minimum one copper, natch, then roll the pair of dice three times! I will do the same, and whoever has the highest total wins!"

The man's smile remains as he nudges the dice toward the travelers. "Go on. I'll help you keep count if need be."
OOC:

Right. Choose a wager (1 coin or 2, I imagine), then roll 2d6 three times. The total of all three rolls will be your score. (And indeed, you can just roll 6d6 if you want.)

For those focused on eating, if you'll allow this quick gambling divergence...
Mar 7, 2021 6:01 pm
Elius places one coin on the table before taking the dice. He checks them for anything suspicious before rolling them three times.
"Here we go ... 19" he grumbles.

Hardened by years of playing at the sea, he will then pay attention to Audree when her turn to roll comes. But he will mostly focus on this Theo fellow that he finds very suspicious and doesn't trust one bit. Elius wouldn't be surprised if he tried to cheat by swapping or loading the dice.
OOC:
I don't know if I'm supposed to list exhaustively all the way to cheat with dice and check for them.
Last edited March 7, 2021 6:02 pm

Rolls

Roll 1 - (2d6)

(15) = 6

Roll 2 - (2d6)

(36) = 9

Roll 3 - (2d6)

(22) = 4

Mar 7, 2021 7:08 pm
OOC:
It's all good! Although this does raise a question. I think that games are more fun when there's a little 'table talk' to accompany play. Would you prefer to have that here, in-line with our posts, within OOC tags? I think that makes the most sense. Or would you prefer that we react in the OOC thread?
Mar 8, 2021 1:08 am
Audree places her haunted dice on the table. They look to be carved out of a strange green soapstone. The pips are in the shape of teeth.

"I'll wager these. I'm sure they are worth more than a few copper." She picks up the man's dice and rolls three times. "18."
Last edited March 8, 2021 1:08 am

Rolls

Rolls - (6d6)

(542214) = 18

Mar 8, 2021 3:28 am
Clomm finishes his bowl of stew and starts looking for more food discarded or disregarded by the others distracted by the game. He’d gambled too many times in the past and it always blew up in his face, quite literally once or twice.
Mar 9, 2021 7:56 am
"Alright, alright," Theo says, scooping up the dice in his broad and surprisingly agile hands. "I wager a copper for each of you, for that coin and those dice. Soa nineteen, and an eighteen. Great rolls! I'll be hard pressed to beat those, but let's just see..."

Shaking his hand, the man proceeds to roll, gather and reroll the dice until he's thrown the pair three times...

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Mar 9, 2021 8:13 am
Theo's dice come up seven... then four... and then five. Totaling sixteen, he's lost!

The man grimaces and makes a guttural sound in his chest as Odgen, back behind the bar, laughs. "I know that look, Theonin! Lost your knack today?"

Picking up his dice and frowning at them as he tucks them away, the man, surely enough, slides a coin to both Watters and Wax.

"Sixteen. Your table. Again?" the man asks, raising an eyebrow. "Surely it's only fair to give me a chance to earn back my copper..."
Outside the roadhouse, on the muddy trail that leads to the three farms occupying the north fields, a young woman in a long, homespun skirt hurries into the little village of Snodswick. Endrei and Clomm and the others hadn't even noticed the name of the humble community as they'd walked into town from the west, not seeing the sign for the overgrown grasses that had covered it.
OOC:

Elius, please roll 1d20 + your Wisdom mod, trying to match or beat a 13.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.