Manor of Origin

load previous
Mar 22, 2021 10:12 pm
Another ear aching chuckle echo's through the room.
"So many questions. I like you all already, you just might make it."
The voice proceeds to clear its nonexistent throat in a very obnoxious manner.

" Allow me to give you my spiel.
You my unlucky friends, have been yanked out of proper time and space, randomly might I add, and ended up in my spectacular wonderous death trial.
Usually when people arrive here they want to leave as quickly possible, which they did. They walked right back out the front door and back into proper space time."

The voice scoffs and mutters under its breath. Something about spoil sports.
"That was absolutely no fun, so i started adding an incentive to stay.
What would that be? Any guesses?"

Before even a second passes the voice continues on.
"That's right, I took your Origins, the very essence of your being, without it you'd cease to exist, but here you're existence is sustained by me, watching you."
the voice grows cold and drops the cheerful tone it had sustained until this point.
"So if you don't want to fade away into the void, i suggest you stick around and do what i want you to do."
Mar 22, 2021 10:18 pm
"I'll take that smoke, now, Savant." Charlie mutters. He takes the offered cigarette and tries to puzzle out his predicament.
"What do you want us to do?" Charlie asks the voice.
Mar 22, 2021 10:26 pm
The voice's tone leaps back to its original bouncy happiness
"Oh I am so glad you asked!

All ya gotta do is retrieve my five keystones. I made em all with a bit of my authority, so as you get em you'll be able to go deeper inside. They're also really pretty."
Mar 22, 2021 10:30 pm
"What are these 'keystones?'" Elena asks.
Last edited March 22, 2021 10:31 pm
Mar 22, 2021 10:32 pm
"Go where exactly? And where are they? Why do you need us to get them for you?"
Mar 22, 2021 10:37 pm
"Golly, you people really are out of your depth. It's obvious we're being manipulated by an old God." She waved to the darkness enshrouding the room. "Nice to meet you, by the way, ancient God." She turns back to the group, "Have none of you ever heard of keystones? Ancient artifacts? Well, lucky for you I am an expert."
Mar 22, 2021 10:44 pm
OOOO, an expert!
You're not 100% right but you're in the right ballpark. I'd give you a cookie if I had hands!

Since she knows the what, I'll skip to the rest.
The why doesn't matter, its because I'm bored. As for the where, they're scattered throughout the Manor, most of em in the hands of the Squatters."
Mar 22, 2021 11:24 pm
"Alright, then, Savant." Charlie turns to the self-proclaimed expert, "I haven't known you for long, but it's time to live up your self-indulging reputation. What are keystones?"
Mar 23, 2021 11:28 am
"I'm more concerned about these Squatters. Care to give us some details ya deity? Anyone an expert on the field perhaps?" said Gharn a bit irritated.
Mar 23, 2021 10:09 pm
Yet another earsplitting chuckle escapes from the voice.
" Well ya see, you lot certainly aren't the first to get yoinked from reality proper, and who knows maybe not even the last.
Most of em died horrible deaths, but a few are still scurrying around, desperately trying to survive the nightmare this place has become."

The voice pauses, almost definitely for dramatic effect.
"Then there are the Squatters, the "People" who have willingly chosen to stay here after getting their hands on a keystone."
Mar 23, 2021 11:45 pm
"Why would anyone choose to stay here?" Elena asks in confusion, "What's so good about having a keystone?"
Mar 24, 2021 12:12 am
The mental image of a shrug flashes through everyone's mind.
"Maybe they're just the right kind of crazy, as for the keystones they can't really be used immediately unless ya got all 5 of em together, and in reality a single one would be worthless except to look at.
However, in this unreality, given enough time you can warp a given space in this manor to your desire."
Mar 24, 2021 11:25 am
"I think I'm done, except if you want to add any more cryptic nonsense oh so-called Deity or if anyone wants to ask anything else." said Gharn with an irritated tone.
If everyone's done talking, just point us to a direction and let's get over with this."
Mar 24, 2021 10:12 pm
"Oho! Someone's getting grumpy."

Several gunshots and screams of pain emanate from upstairs.

"Well now, perhaps you should start there.
I'll leave you alone now grumpy, but don't be sad, you'll hear me again. I promise."

The voice's presence fades, leave the party to their own devices.
Mar 24, 2021 10:26 pm
Environment
The party stands in the center of the foyer, atop the strange mural.
To the North, is a grand double door, faded and cracked from untold years of disuse. On either side of the door, are stair cases leading up to the second floor balcony, the individual steps are covered in a thick layer o of dust, and the handrails are made of tarnished metal that is unrecognizable of what it once was.
To the South, is yet another grand double door, almost identical to the one top the north, except this one pulses with a singular message, "Leave and you die", this is the Front Door.
To the East and West are walls lined with the furniture, and broken mirror. The wallpaper is extremely faded, and is peeling in places.
On the ceiling hangs a lone chandelier, missing much of its ornaments, swinging slowly to and fro, threatening to fall at any moment.
Mar 24, 2021 10:50 pm
Aira snorted and rolled her eyes. "I could have told you that...
"I think it's obvious that we should search the house. I don't want to have to be in charge of you people, but I feel like we shouldn't split up. It'll be easier not to die as a group."
She surveyed the faces of her companions looking for any sign of disagreement, then turned to assess the room.
Last edited March 24, 2021 10:53 pm

Rolls

Perception - scan the people, scan the room - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Mar 24, 2021 11:19 pm
Charlie draws a loaded pistol from his bag. "Let's go." He eyes the closest staircase, but makes no effort to move.
Last edited March 24, 2021 11:29 pm
Mar 24, 2021 11:55 pm
Elena gets her carbine ready and mutters pointedly at Charlie, "Ladies first, apparently."
She makes her way to the staircase, and begins to carefully ascend the stairs.

Rolls

Stealth - gotta be sneaky - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Mar 25, 2021 12:10 am
Environment
Upon reaching the top of either staircase the party would find themselves standing on a narrow balcony overlooking the foyer.
To the North is an ornate double door, light can be seen leaking under the cracks at the doorstep.
To the South is a railing, made of tarnished metal and missing afew of its posts, the party can see the ground floor from whence they came. The chandelier still dangles precariously.
To the East is a table with a vase and not much else, the vase looks tacky and holds several withered flowers.
To the West is a single door, upon closer examination it appears to be locked, no light emanates from beneath the crack of the doorstep.
The noise of combat has stopped... for the moment.
Mar 25, 2021 12:39 am
Charlie followed closely behind Trigger. He gestured towards the light emanating from the north doors.
"Do you think the deity wants us to go through there?" Charlie asked Trigger, "Everywhere else is dark." He turns back towards his companions below.
"Can anyone here pick a lock?" Charlie didn't trust the so-called deity. If there was light, the unsavory source of the gunshots, or possibly worse, the aftermath, could be inside. Charlie felt swayed towards the locked entrance to an entirely different room.
Last edited March 25, 2021 12:39 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.