1.0 The Wyr River: Ambushed

Jan 30, 2015 5:28 pm
As each of you stir and wake up, you feel like you've lived through a stampede of Aneen while drinking that rotten ale (-2 points to all three pools). It takes you a moment to get your senses, but when you do, you carefully sit up. You take a quick inventory of your possessions and find nothing, your weapons and ciphers are gone. Searching around, you find the most of the members of the caravan are dead, blood coming from their ears, eyes and noses. You reach up and find some dried blood yourself. You are lucky. Searching the bodies finds nothing, not even a shin.

A casual search of the wagons, you see the wagons and carts appear to have been stripped bare as well. Walking to the river, the mud bank you remember seeing the mud men dive into has hardened in the mid day sun, but the impressions are still visible. It is two days travel back to the trading post, and the same amount of time to the destination. either way, the trail bosses are not going to be happy. Losing an item or crate is one thing, but the entire shipment...you are sure heads will roll.

What are you going to do?
Jan 30, 2015 6:23 pm
Khoren wanders over to the hardened mud and stares hard at the ground, examining it for traces of numenera, wrapping his cloak around him and relishing the way the edges of the cloak flap in the light breeze. This ground is hard as clay. I wonder if they came out of the ground the same way. "Did anyone see from where they attacked?" he yells at no one in particular. Khoren then picks the closest body and checks it for a sign of a wound, trying to discern the nature of the attack. Blowguns, maybe, he thinks to himself. Why would mudmen want this dretch, and where did they take it?
Jan 30, 2015 6:48 pm
"I don't know where they came from", Utazó mumbled to herself, half disgusted by letting herself be taken by surprise and half answering Khoren's query (even though she was sure he couldn't hear her). Walking towards one of the wagons she turns her head toward Khoren and yells "I'm going to look to see if there is anything I can use as a weapon. There's got to be something I can pry off this thing that might be useful."

What the hell were those thing? I've been through this area more times than I can count and have never seen anything like that.
Last edited January 30, 2015 6:48 pm
Jan 30, 2015 6:57 pm
Everything we have is gone (tools, shins, armor not worn) or just the weapons and cyphers?
Jan 30, 2015 7:54 pm
KNaranek says:
Everything we have is gone (tools, shins, armor not worn) or just the weapons and cyphers?
Tools, ciphers, weapons, though they left any armor being worn. As you examine the bodies of your company, you find the captain. You did not not speak to him much (his station was a few higher than yours). His armor is missing, and you know it was good quality and most likely had some cypher enhancements. Most everyone else still has their armor on, including yourself.
Jan 30, 2015 8:00 pm
szemely says:
"I don't know where they came from", Utazó mumbled to herself, half disgusted by letting herself be taken by surprise and half answering Khoren's query (even though she was sure he couldn't hear her). Walking towards one of the wagons she turns her head toward Khoren and yells "I'm going to look to see if there is anything I can use as a weapon. There's got to be something I can pry off this thing that might be useful."
1d20 roll
(Speed check)
szemely says:
What the hell were those thing? I've been through this area more times than I can count and have never seen anything like that.
1d20 roll
(Intellect)

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Jan 30, 2015 8:09 pm
Qralloq says:
Khoren wanders over to the hardened mud and stares hard at the ground, examining it for traces of numenera, wrapping his cloak around him and relishing the way the edges of the cloak flap in the light breeze. This ground is hard as clay. I wonder if they came out of the ground the same way. "Did anyone see from where they attacked?" he yells at no one in particular. Khoren then picks the closest body and checks it for a sign of a wound, trying to discern the nature of the attack. Blowguns, maybe, he thinks to himself. Why would mudmen want this dretch, and where did they take it?
You find a few shins (1D10) when you search the mud/clay, but nothing more. Searching the body reveals no visual wounds. All the bodies have blood, now dried, coming from the eyes, ears and nose. You had less, but some.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Jan 30, 2015 8:59 pm
"I can't believe this! Iri! Everyone! Utazó, see if you can find the inventory and the rest of the books. I have to check the others, I have to make sure they're really gone."
Osred goes over the other members, making sure no one else survived. Even considering the fight from his homeland and the previous weeks, nothing ever came close to this slaughter. There were good friends here.
Jan 30, 2015 9:46 pm
"It's all gone, Osred, except for a few coins," says Khoren, bouncing the 6 mud-covered shins absently in his hand. "Our final wages perhaps," he continues ominously. "The fates haven't shared any signs of how we might follow where those things went. Yet." Khoren heads to the woods where the attack began, looking for clues. If they waited for a long time, there may be signs. Crushed plants, divets in the ground. It's worth checking. "I think we should search the area, see if we can find their cave, a trail, or footprints."
Jan 31, 2015 1:35 pm
Qralloq says:
"It's all gone, Osred, except for a few coins," says Khoren, bouncing the 6 mud-covered shins absently in his hand. "Our final wages perhaps," he continues ominously. "The fates haven't shared any signs of how we might follow where those things went. Yet." Khoren heads to the woods where the attack began, looking for clues. If they waited for a long time, there may be signs. Crushed plants, divets in the ground. It's worth checking. "I think we should search the area, see if we can find their cave, a trail, or footprints."
After taking time to search, you find a few muddy foot print and mud droppings (you hope it is mud) near the trees. They appear from no where coming from the mud wash. They lead into the camp and back to the wash. However, as you are studying the area that one of the individuals stopped in, you notice a glint from inside the bush. Pulling back the branch, you see a piece of mud covered Numenera.
Jan 31, 2015 2:05 pm
Rolls from above:

Afterwards I will join Osred to see if anything has turned up.

Rolls

Speed check, scrounging wagons. Straight roll. - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Intelligent, what were those things. Straight roll. - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jan 31, 2015 3:03 pm
szemely says:
Rolls from above:

Afterwards I will join Osred to see if anything has turned up.
(Good Rolls, both of them)

Scouring the wagons, you find on the captains wagon a secret compartment under the wagon. It is very well hidden and locked (lvl 6 lock). You search the body of the captain and while they stripped him of his armor, weapons and valuables, they managed to miss the key. Opening the compartment, you find some cyphers and a small weapons cache.

There are two swords, 4 punch daggers, one razor ring and a razon net (like a gill net, this one will attached itself to its prey and cut into the soft flesh to snag it). There are 137 shins and 6 cyphers.
There is :
A level 4 Cat's Eye that looks weird.
A level 5 Sleep Inducer, wearable patch.
A level 3 Stim, Injector
A level 4 Spatial Warp, large device attachment
A level 4 Speed boost, pill
A level 9 shocker, wearable device

As to what they were, you have never seen these creatures before, though you recall having heard vague stories. There were folk tales and campfire stories told to you when you were growing up of men made of mud and dirt. They would come from the ground and return there, leaving little to no trace. They would ambush travelers and disappear into the dirt like they were walking through air, or water. Very few ever lived to talk about it, which is why most people (including yourself) thought they were just a myth.
Jan 31, 2015 3:10 pm
KNaranek says:
"I can't believe this! Iri! Everyone! Utazó, see if you can find the inventory and the rest of the books. I have to check the others, I have to make sure they're really gone."
Osred goes over the other members, making sure no one else survived. Even considering the fight from his homeland and the previous weeks, nothing ever came close to this slaughter. There were good friends here.
Searching, you find little...a shin or two missed or dropped. The bodies of some of your comrades are warm still, but still dead. As you reach the outer edges of the massacre, one body seems to be moving, twitching. Give me an intellect roll, saving him would be a heroic task.
Jan 31, 2015 3:12 pm
"Guys, I think you'll want to take a look at all of this.", Utazó shouts out to the others, grabbing one of the swords and a dagger for herself. "Looks like the good captain had quite the stash hidden away."

Seems that old myth might have a ring of truth to it, I wonder if the others have heard of it...
Last edited January 31, 2015 3:14 pm
Jan 31, 2015 4:01 pm
szemely says:
"Guys, I think you'll want to take a look at all of this.", Utazó shouts out to the others, grabbing one of the swords and a dagger for herself. "Looks like the good captain had quite the stash hidden away."
Khoren jogs over to Utazó, and peers into the stash. He pulls out two punch daggers and tucks them into his belt.

"Ah, the captain is looking after us even now. We should take what we need for now and stash the rest." Khoren eyes focus on the cyphers - his hands reach out and glide near the objects, following their contours without touching. "O captain, what were these you were hiding?" Tell me your secrets, little cyphers.

[Unless interrupted, Khoren will spend the time to identify the cyphers. He is specialized in Numenera.]
Jan 31, 2015 5:42 pm
Utazó watches intently for a while as Khoren goes about his task and then realizes Osred has yet to join them. Looking about she notices Osred standing over one of the many bodies that have been left for dead.

"I'll leave you to see if any of these things can be of use to us, Khoren. I'm going to see what Osred is doing and ask him if he's ever heard the myth of the mud men."
Jan 31, 2015 11:57 pm
Osred takes note of the owners of the two shins he finds. "I try to make sure your families get this and the rest they deserve. I... Demeri is not dead! Utazó bring me some water!" He uses Healing Touch immediately, and a heal skill check.
Last edited February 1, 2015 12:02 am

Rolls

Healing Touch - (1d10)

(1) = 1

Feb 1, 2015 12:11 am
Sorry about the wrong kind of dice. It's late here. But a 1 is a 1.
Osred will use a level of effort to heal.

Rolls

Healing skill check - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Feb 1, 2015 2:39 am
KNaranek says:
Sorry about the wrong kind of dice. It's late here. But a 1 is a 1.
Osred will use a level of effort to heal.
Turning his head, the dried blood turns wet (the d10 roll...oops) and you know that is not good. Still, his body is warm and you know there is something you can do. You look closely... his lips are starting to turn blue and his skin is getting clammy. If only you had the root your grandmother used, maybe.... maybe its too late. Perhaps water, and making him comfortable.

As you cradle his head in your arms, you feel a warmth spread to him and he licks his lips. His eyelids flutter a bit and then open. He stares out into the light above you, his eyes bloodshot and empty. His life force seems to be returning, slowly. He blinks and his eyes focus on you. For a moment, you see panic, then recognition and his body shudders. He raises his hand to yours and his lips move, "Thank you", though no sound comes out.
Feb 1, 2015 2:50 am
Qralloq says:
szemely says:
Khoren jogs over to Utazó, and peers into the stash. He pulls out two punch daggers and tucks them into his belt.

"Ah, the captain is looking after us even now. We should take what we need for now and stash the rest." Khoren eyes focus on the cyphers - his hands reach out and glide near the objects, following their contours without touching. "O captain, what were these you were hiding?" Tell me your secrets, little cyphers.

[Unless interrupted, Khoren will spend the time to identify the cyphers. He is specialized in Numenera.]
The cyphers (listed above) come straight from the core book. You will spend maybe 10 minutes or so looking, but they are common ones you (or your party) has seen before (or similar).

The other cypher, found in the bush, it is covered in mud and gunk. You take some time to clean and examine it. This is a challenging cypher to crack. (Give me a 1d20 intellect roll, let me know if you are using esoteries, knowledge, specialization or effort you are spending).
load next

Thread locked