Interest Check: Lore and RP-Heavy D&D5E Campaign

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 22, 2021 4:50 pm
Hey Gamersplaners!

So I'm back with a new pitch...

I'm looking for 5 players who want to roleplay. Ppl who will be active, and who look forward to interacting/posting thoughtfully with each other and with the world, primarily through rp rather than mechanics.

I mean, it's D&D, so combat and skill checks and things will of course feature heavily as usual/needed, but I envision there being a healthy focus on investigation and interfacing with NPCs and between PCs. Players who won't default to "kill it with fire!" as the default problem solving method. The campaign is a homebrew "adventure path" that I've never ran before, so I really don't know how well it will play, but I think it could be pretty cool.

The elevator pitch might be something like:

"An intimate look at one village's epic troubles.", or "A D&D-fairytale on the scale of Hansel and Gretel, but with the depth of Lord of the Rings."

The premise would be that the PCs are members of a community (or outsiders/travelers who have good reason to be in and care about the community) that is coming to the end of a rough growing season. Crops have been wilted and weak, the season unnaturally short. And with growing regularity, there have been some... very odd... very troubling, and very worrisome, things happening.

The community of the Five Lions, nestled in the foothills of the Orsraun Mountains of Turmish, needs heroes!

The ideal players should have a genuine interest, like wonk-level, in Forgotten Realms lore. You don't need to know the lore, you just have to be interested in it, and interested in learning about it if it you don't know it well. Because this campaign is conceived as an... examination? of some certain niches of that lore.

It will adhere to canon, as much as possible, but liberties will be taken where the canon ends, to create the most interesting story that we can.

So yea, I hope that doesn't sound too up-it's-own-arse, because the focus will be on fun and seeing how the characters address a complex problem, but I just want to be honest and find the right players... I'll take all comers who think they fit the bill!

Should be a good opportunity for ppl new to the forum to get some good play time, and/or for any forever DMs out there to weird-out on some intensive playing.

So... Anyone interested?
Last edited April 22, 2021 4:52 pm
Apr 22, 2021 4:52 pm
Minor question. What Gaming sysem?
Apr 22, 2021 4:53 pm
It's in the post title, Gene...
Apr 22, 2021 5:06 pm
So funny. I read everything but the title.. Slaps oneself. Smiles. And yes I'm interested. Why I asked for the system. :)
Last edited April 22, 2021 5:07 pm
Apr 22, 2021 5:35 pm
I'd be very interested. Currently I'm down to three games and I'd like to scratch the RP itch a bit more ^^

Until now I almost exclusivly played in the Forgotten Realms. I didn't read any novels but many of the guides like SCAG.
Apr 22, 2021 5:37 pm
What sort of posting frequency are you looking for?
Apr 22, 2021 5:42 pm
I was thinking about a local lumberjack guy trying to lend his hand.
Apr 22, 2021 6:33 pm
In what level range did you invision?
Apr 22, 2021 7:06 pm
Adam says:
What sort of posting frequency are you looking for?
One post per day on average, minus weekends, is what I try to hold myself to. And so that's what I ask of players. I can usually keep up with a higher rate tho, if everyone is more active.
runekyndig says:
In what level range did you invision?
Starting at 1, advancing quickly thru the first couple of lvls. Would use a hybrid of XP and milestone advancement (basically tracking xp as normal for defeated foes, but also receiving goal-based chunks too). Would maybe see the campaign arc, as conceived, going to at least 5th
or 6th lvl.

If there is some place for the story to go after that, I'd be open to continuing the game. But this was conceived as a kind of "micro", self-contained campaign.
Apr 22, 2021 7:16 pm
I would like to throw a bard shaped hat into the ring
Apr 22, 2021 8:41 pm
Definitely interested, I love games that explore lore. Though I will be one of those who don't know forgotten realms too much (lore heavy games I'm used to are Golarion (Pathfinder)/Homebrew, but can likely reflect that in a character who has never left the community before.

A sorcerer who has only recently come into their magic and has until now been trying to pretend everything is fine and normal, both with themselves and the crops/goings on comes to mind.
Last edited April 23, 2021 1:06 am
Apr 22, 2021 10:15 pm
https://i.imgur.com/zpk4gL8.pngMarabi's father didn't talk much about the old country; he didn't much talk about anything. All Marabi had managed to piece together was that he was exiled from a small tribe of Nar beyond the Easting Reach. He didn't understand much Common, but he knew what "barbarian" meant. Marabi could see that the word didn't bother her father; he would shrug it away with his eyebrows. 'It is a fact, my little Cinchless, and barbarian tack fetches good prices'. Marabi couldn't argue with that - her father's Nar horse tack was considered fine, even by the discerning mercenaries passing along the Halondar.

The scar across Marabi's left cheek was her great shame - not because it disfigured her. Pshh! The horses didn't care about her complexion. No, it reminded her of her overconfidence. As a teen, 'Horse' (that was the horse's name. Yes, it caused confusion but it made her father chuckle) had thrown her then casually kicked her in the face. Now, she wore a bandana when she took her father's wares to market.
OOC:
Fighter (cavalier), guild merchant.

Although - I'd rather not play than deprive new members a game - so please prioritize them above me.
Apr 23, 2021 5:30 am
runekyndig sent a note to emsquared
My initial thoughts are of young rebel with a safety net. Her parents are a integral part of the community. Dad is an offer in the watch and mom is something similar civil service, a cleark at the mayor's office perhaps..

My character is charismatic, curious and a busy-body. She will challenge god's and men, as long as she can go home to mom and dad, at the end of the day.

Class: bard
Subclass: probably one of the melee types, but we'll figure it out during play.
Race: To increase the chip on the shoulder, I'm thinking non-human. Dragonborn or halforc. Still undecided
Background: Entertainer (storytelling)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9d/33/52/9d335206f47aa5ce540107a8276cc4ef.jpg
or
https://i.imgur.com/Cbz5ZSj.png
Last edited April 23, 2021 3:47 pm
Apr 23, 2021 1:26 pm
This sounds great! - just the kind of game I like, but I am fairly stretched with playing and DMing at the moment and you mentioned you want to offer places to people who are not in games at the moment (which I do agree with) so I will take a pass on applying.
Apr 23, 2021 1:51 pm
Well it looks like we have the critical mass. I'll put up a game page, and start assembling resources, send out invites probably on Monday?

dankel I'd be happy to keep you in mind for back up?
Apr 24, 2021 10:32 am
Yes, if you have some players drop out or have any trouble getting the numbers up then do count me in.
Apr 25, 2021 2:58 pm
dankel says:
Yes, if you have some players drop out or have any trouble getting the numbers up then do count me in.
Sounds good, Daniel.

I would encourage you (or anyone else who reads this thread and is interested in the game) to go to the Game Page and 'Apply' to the game as I tend to use the "Players Pending Approval list as the queue for back up players.

Thanks everyone!
Apr 25, 2021 7:02 pm
Heavy on RP, and lite mechanics and stats is just my game. I do so love to spin a tale and let the characters drive the story instead of relying on random dice. Having dice decide hits or misses is ok, but when dice decide the way the story unfolds or how a character is perceived, it takes the spice out of life, even a role played life!
Apr 26, 2021 8:20 pm
emsquared says:
dankel says:
Sounds good, Daniel.

I would encourage you (or anyone else who reads this thread and is interested in the game) to go to the Game Page and 'Apply' to the game as I tend to use the "Players Pending Approval list as the queue for back up players.

Thanks everyone!
The game is full so no applications allowed
Apr 26, 2021 11:38 pm
dankel says:
The game is full so no applications allowed
Ah thanks for the heads up, I had kind of forgotten that worked that way.

I added a player slot so that one should be able to Apply again.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.