Any sci-fi games out there?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 23, 2021 8:54 pm
Hey there. New to GP and pbp here. Have played dnd5e and a tiny bit of 3.5e and I'm interested in trying something different. If you have something in the making, I'm interested.
Apr 23, 2021 10:17 pm
There are a few here and there. It mostly takes time and patience, and eventually a game you like opens up.

Personally i would like to try some Old school Traveller.
Apr 23, 2021 10:30 pm
Heroes of the Frontier (FrontierSpace) by Kalajel is advertising for another player.
Apr 24, 2021 5:00 am
What sub-genre of Traveller? Exploration, military, commerce, pirates...?
Apr 24, 2021 2:24 pm
WhtKnt says:
What sub-genre of Traveller? Exploration, military, commerce, pirates...?
I'd be up for anything really, though exploration and pirates sound the most fun.
Apr 24, 2021 3:17 pm
JabBurrwalky says:
There are a few here and there. It mostly takes time and patience, and eventually a game you like opens up.

Personally i would like to try some Old school Traveller.
A Traveller Game would be freakin' awesome. I have the MgT2 source book but haven't found anyone to play with
Apr 24, 2021 4:23 pm
Well I'd be down!

Len

Apr 24, 2021 5:37 pm
I am a big fan of Traveller!

I ran Mongoose Traveller 2e a while back here on GP. Character creation is so fun, exploration was great, but we found that combat rules were bad for PbP. Players have unlimited reactions with consequence to your initiative order. It seems like this locks you into a clunky initiative system and back-and-forth style that would slow down play by post. The group shied away from combat mostly, because it is so deadly in Traveller, so we didn't kick those particular tires much. Your mileage may vary.

One solution is to change reactions into a standard action. I think this is the way I'd run it if I tried running Traveller again. Here is an article that suggests this change and a few more changes to make combat 'less fiddly' that might be worth considering: https://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/rules/hostint.html
Apr 25, 2021 2:34 am
I tried a Mothership game a while game that got going well then players just drifted away, I think as most were newcomers to the site.
Apr 27, 2021 11:42 pm
I've never played Traveller.
Apr 29, 2021 3:42 am
Not to promise anything, but let me think about it a while. I might be up to starting a Traveller game (Mongoose 2e) on here. If I do, we will have a session 0 where characters are created as a group, both so that rolls can be witnessed and so that those new to Traveller can experience what is actually a good portion of the fun. If I do start a game, it will likely focus on exploration, rather than commerce (we will gloss over a lot of the necessity of buying fuel, just assuming that you do enough trading to take care of it when you need to) because if you concentrate on such, the game becomes an exercise in economics. It will also take place in a homebrewed setting, rather than an established sector. Knowing that, is there still any interest?
Apr 29, 2021 4:55 am
I would be interested. I haven't played. Did chargen once IRL.
Apr 29, 2021 4:00 pm
I am playing right now Space D6 here PBP and Mothership IRL. Sandbox rpg with complicated mechanics are quite hard for pbp gaming. I was thinking myself of running some vintage sci-fi space shipwrecks exploration one shots. Probably with Fate Accelerated
Apr 29, 2021 4:54 pm
WhtKnt says:
Not to promise anything, but let me think about it a while. I might be up to starting a Traveller game (Mongoose 2e) on here. If I do, we will have a session 0 . . . . Knowing that, is there still any interest?
100% yes!
May 1, 2021 8:13 pm
WhtKnt says:
I might be up to starting a Traveller game (Mongoose 2e) on here. (snip) Knowing that, is there still any interest?
Absolutely, yes.
May 3, 2021 2:56 pm
Okay, I've sent invitations to those who have expressed interest. For everyone else, the game can be found here. I'll take up to 6 players total.
May 3, 2021 5:50 pm
Ohhhh very cooool, I always wanted to play traveller.Just applied for the game. I have the MgT2 Core rulebook if that's of any help
May 3, 2021 6:19 pm
That will be very helpful, but we're going to make characters as a group so that we can all stay on the same page.
May 13, 2021 6:06 pm
Does anyone play Starfinder on here? I didn't see it in the dropdown when filtering for open games but I've been looking over the core rulebook and it seems interesting.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.