Norse Heroes with D&D 5e

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 29, 2021 5:04 pm
Hello Gamers,

I'd like to start a game with the Norse mythology feeling.
I'm looking for 3 players who can post 3 or 4 times a week.
As I see it, the game will be more social interaction and investigation than combat, but action is part and parcel of the Viking style, so that's going to happen regularly, too.

The setting is Viking-time Denmark, including sea travel, spiced up with the Lost Lands' 5e additions, which you don't need to buy, I'll tell you the details of what you choose. Supernatural abilities are rare in general. Player characters are not going to be restricted, but they should use magic with caution in front of NPCs if they don't want to be persecuted for dark magics. On the other hand, all characters will get some powerful abilities after the first chapter, in addition to class features.

There is a main plot, but you will be able to also pursue the PCs' personal goals. In fact, I'll try to hook the PCs via personal interests.

Starting level: 5
Ability scores: 27 points to buy
Race: Human, Giant-blooded, Troll-blooded, Nûklander Elf
Class: barbarian WotC + bearsarker + ulfhander, bard WotC + ancients, druid / WotC + ancestors, fighter WotC + captain, paladin WotC + spear maiden, sorcerer divine soul, storm sorcery, + cunning woman, wizard + rune caller.
Gear: standard + 1000 Gp, consumable magic items only.

If you're interested, tell me about your character's story, personality and what they want from life for the moment, and what they desire in the long term. Also, race + class + subclass.

I won't need sheets to choose players and characters, that can come later.
[ +- ] new subclasses
Last edited May 1, 2021 8:23 am
Apr 29, 2021 5:51 pm
I've always been interested in a Norse game, but I just don't have the depth of knowledge to run one. I'd love to play, though!

I've seen a few things on the blurry lines between elves and ancestors. Is that part of this? I know mythology "sources" can get messy. But if it is blurred, I'd be interested in a Nuklander paladin (spear maiden). She was a human who died defending her people from some threat, and is back to continue defending those who need it. Cold and calculating right now, but dedicated to doing the right thing, there's a yearning in her heart to reconnect with her lost humanity.
Apr 29, 2021 6:35 pm
Are you using the Trudvang ruleset for 5e?
I kickstarted it, but now I got the pdf, I havent read it yet :(

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/028/215/547/c0a810a3f8fa9512764c34a7a5bdd5f5_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&crop=faces&w=1552&h=873&fit=crop&v=1582634549&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=fcbfaebe7dab5b402ef18cca4a05275f
Last edited April 29, 2021 6:38 pm
Apr 29, 2021 6:43 pm
Very interested:

2 concepts:

Barbarian, berzerker. Looking for revenge on powerful enemy. human or giant-blooded

Bard: Valor: highborn. Looking for glory and fame. human
Last edited April 29, 2021 7:57 pm
Apr 29, 2021 7:12 pm
I have this one. You won't need it, I can tell you the details of what you choose.
Quote:
I'd be interested in a Nuklander paladin (spear maiden). She was a human who died defending her people from some threat, and is back to continue defending those who need it.
Reincarnated?
Apr 29, 2021 7:49 pm
I have it too Runekyndig. Friend of mine wrote the accompanying novel
Last edited April 29, 2021 7:50 pm
Apr 29, 2021 7:55 pm
Knifesedgegames says:
Cool. Maybe crack open a Trudvang game later then? I don't think I should start in any more games at the moment
Apr 29, 2021 8:02 pm
Quote:
Barbarian, berzerker. Looking for revenge on powerful enemy. human or giant-blooded

Well, both skald and berserker fit the setting well. Would you like mechanical details of bearsarker and ulfhander?
Apr 29, 2021 8:35 pm
runekyndig says:
Knifesedgegames says:
Cool. Maybe crack open a Trudvang game later then? I don't think I should start in any more games at the moment
I was thinking about it, once I get the hard copies. I'm still not that familiar with 5e so have been reluctant to run it but this might make me jump in. Maybe I can get Steve to join us :)
Last edited April 29, 2021 8:36 pm
Apr 29, 2021 9:19 pm
planewalker says:
Quote:

Well, both skald and berserker fit the setting well. Would you like mechanical details of bearsarker and ulfhander?
Yes please
Apr 29, 2021 9:34 pm
planewalker says:
I have this one. You won't need it, I can tell you the details of what you choose.
Quote:
I'd be interested in a Nuklander paladin (spear maiden). She was a human who died defending her people from some threat, and is back to continue defending those who need it.
Reincarnated?
If the line between human ancestors and Nuklanders really is blurred, then yes. But if that's not a thing (again, I have an inkling the stuff I found wasn't super accurate), then a variation of that. Maybe just a woman who took up the mantle because nobody else would, who's grizzled and wants to reconnect with the things in life that made her happy.
Apr 30, 2021 3:55 pm
The first post has info on the classes in the spoiler.
Quote:
If the line between human ancestors and Nuklanders really is blurred, then yes.
I don't mind the idea by default. Where did you find that stuff?
Apr 30, 2021 4:39 pm
Update on the original post: Where the new subclass is in parenthesis, all WotC printed sources are valid if the result has the Norse feel.
Apr 30, 2021 4:49 pm
planewalker says:
The first post has info on the classes in the spoiler.
Quote:
If the line between human ancestors and Nuklanders really is blurred, then yes.
I don't mind the idea by default. Where did you find that stuff?
This site mentioned the Poetic Edda, but the text as a whole seems to have conflicting translations depending on who you ask, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was an odd interpretation.

Core concept, though: paladin. Expression as cold as the northern snow.
May 1, 2021 8:18 am
I like the rebirth idea, and being an elf will give the character an mythological feel, so go with it if you want to.

And no need to call them Nuklanders, it's only a reference to the sourcebook in this game.
Last edited May 1, 2021 8:19 am
May 2, 2021 5:28 am
luvtodd, SJoyner72, I invited you to the game
May 2, 2021 11:30 am
is there still space in the game it sounds great
May 2, 2021 6:07 pm
Yes, there is. What kind of character do you have in mind?
May 2, 2021 6:13 pm
A human barbaric guy who killed his dad by accident and people are trying kill him for doing so but he is running away
Last edited May 2, 2021 6:14 pm
May 2, 2021 6:45 pm
Hi! I'd be very interested in playing this game.

Concept: Human Storm Sorcerer
I'm thinking a somewhat reckless/slightly-mad sailor. He is viewed with suspicion because of his magic, but tolerated because his connection to storms can sometimes be helpful at sea.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.