Interest check [CLOSED]- Might and magic

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 20, 2021 12:54 pm
You may have noticed that there have been a couple of games around where the players RP kingdoms instead of characters. This kind of is one of those games :D

My idea is to run a little test using the original Heroes of Might and Magic setting as background, basically so we can ground the game on something.

https://images2.alphacoders.com/915/thumb-1920-915075.jpg"On orders from your Emperor, you attempt to claim an ancient artifact of great power.
Unfortunately, an old friend has become a powerful rival, and is attempting to claim the artifact before you.
The fate of the empire balances on who retrieves the artifact first."

I'm looking for 3-4 players to try a basic one-shot (couple of months), running the scenarios of the The Price of Loyalty campaign (from 1997!) It may be a bit rail-roady, but it will give us time to settle into the setting and tweak the rules. Ideally, players would start on opposing sides of the rebellion 😈

This will be an RP heavy game. We will go through the campaign "scenarios". We will pick cards from a deck to randomize the challenges for each scenario and then you will merge resources (dice) to send "heroes" on their "mission" to face those challenges. The focus is on the creative writing, not game mechanics so the game will be mostly describing how each "hero" overcomes the challenge.

1-2 times per week as this type of games usually call for long posts. If players are interested, we can either start to explore the Ironfist story-line (or just go where the game take us)
No need to know anything about the setting. It's basically fantasy... with might and magic... so you probably got the idea :D

Anyone interest and with time to spare? :D
Last edited July 26, 2021 8:52 am
Jul 20, 2021 3:04 pm
I'm up for it unless you find 4 people new to Gamer's Plane that are chomping at the bit to play. In that case put me on the bench coach.
Jul 20, 2021 3:17 pm
What do you mean by playing kingdoms? How does that work exactly?
Jul 20, 2021 3:38 pm
I guess instead of playing Brad the Tan from the Kingdom of Surfside (Yes it's hot out today). You'd play the Kingdom of Surfside (country) and all heros and zeros from Surfside would be RP'd in the little vignettes/scenarios, yeah?

Also just noticed it's randomized so I'm up for roleplaying somethings/persons given from the hands of chaos.
Jul 20, 2021 3:48 pm
It does sound like fun and craziness and it's hot out here too.
Jul 21, 2021 2:52 pm
Remnant says:
I guess instead of playing Brad the Tan from the Kingdom of Surfside (Yes it's hot out today). You'd play the Kingdom of Surfside (country) and all heros and zeros from Surfside would be RP'd in the little vignettes/scenarios, yeah?
Yes, that's the basic idea. You'd be writing about the retainers of a given house, instead of one particular character. Basically, it's a writing exercise where you can change the point of view when you want :D
Jul 21, 2021 5:48 pm
I'd be interested. I do need to practice my creative writing and I have slot for a game available now...
Jul 21, 2021 11:15 pm
What would be the game system to be used? and also I would be interested in joining this game since I have some idea about the setting (videogames) it's on.
Jul 22, 2021 7:58 am
So that would be 3-4 players :D
I'll start setting up the game. If there is anyone else interested, I may be able to take on another 1 or 2 (this should be virtually "gmless" once it starts)
mormegil says:
What would be the game system to be used?
Something homebrewed to the very minimum mechanics :D
You pick a card, make a simple description of what problem you are facing. Then you have "sides" resources you can add to your "heroes"'die to roll. The results are mostly to guide your writing.
[ +- ] Setting details
Jul 22, 2021 2:05 pm
CESN says:
[ +- ] Setting details
I don't have much idea about the very early M&M game other than the Heroes games (starting at part 3) and I played it until part 6...so I'm gonna need a little helping hand with that campaign lol...I'm currently doing some reading in the wikia about the campaign setting though...
Last edited July 22, 2021 2:06 pm
Jul 22, 2021 2:17 pm
mormegil says:
I'm currently doing some reading in the wikia about the campaign setting though...
Don't worry too much about it. Just think High Fantasy and all will be fine. You can take inspiration from other sources as well if that suits you.

So, the weird sci-fi stuff is only on the Might and Magic RPGs so if you player Hmm3 you'll be fine :D
Invitations sent! Game page is https://gamersplane.com/games/3141/
Jul 22, 2021 3:30 pm
still some available places if someone else wants to give it a try
Jul 23, 2021 4:17 pm
We are ready to get this going soon. Anyone else interested in trying it out?

I made the game public so you can browse around to check how promising it looks ;)
Last edited July 23, 2021 5:11 pm
Jul 24, 2021 7:16 pm
I really don't know much about this setting either and I really havent done anything except dnd 5e but it sounds interesting. Years ago, I played the third one and then the 5th one.
Last edited July 24, 2021 7:29 pm
Jul 24, 2021 8:51 pm
Hi raven, Welcome!

That's exactly how I started before joining GP! You probably noticed that GP is the best place to try other games/system :D
This one will be a completely different experience from D&D ;)

I've sent you the invitation to join, you can accept it here

You do not have permission to post in this thread.