Games for new players

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 7, 2021 1:05 pm
Ever joined a community, eager to get elbows-deep into it, then have to wait --days or even weeks-- before anything happens? Yeah, I thought so, we all have.

This thread serves as a list of games that are intended for new players to hop right into, learn how things work, get their feet wet, hopefully have fun, and see if PbP RPGs are a thing they like.

We are happy to teach all you need to know.

If you are new to the Gamers' Plane and want a hands on tutorial for how things work, head over to Your Introduction to Gamersplane and PBP.

GMs: If you want to run a game dedicated to new players, tell us about it and I will add it to this list.

My intent is to have a few games that can be picked up whenever there is interest from new players.

Players: So that these new players have someone to play alongside, I would appreciate the help of a few dedicated players willing to join these games and fill out the roster. Again, the intent is not so much for them to play --though that can happen as a secondary effort-- but for them to be there to make characters to support the new ones. (If we do spend time playing with the experienced people, we need to be mindful of how our actions impact the world, we need to keep it generic, simple, and low level, so as to not overwhelm those joining for the first time.)

Aspiring GMs: If you are actually wanting to learn to run games, apply and I am happy to teach those skills as well (don't tell anyone I told you, but GMing really is not that hard:). We can set up a quick scene or scenario and find a few willing player-guineapigs to help. (If there is enough interest, we may move this to its own game.)

Players interested in joining should offer here before applying.

If you think a particular game system should be offered, tell us about it. (And think about offering to run it.)

Name Offered By System Genre Content Warning Links
Noob Central vagueGM Yesterday's Tomorrow (PbtA,WoDu) Cyberpunk violence, prejudice, poverty details forum post
Fresh Faced Adventurers vagueGM World of Dungeons (PbtA,WoDu) low fantasy fantasy violence details forum post
Breaking News vagueGM Breakers (PbtA,WoDu) modern/urban fantasy fantasy violence details forum post
Tiny Shattered Lands Psybermagi TinyD6 Dungeon 2 fantasy ? details forum post

See the 'details' or 'post' pages for more information on each game.
Last edited November 19, 2023 8:17 pm
Aug 7, 2021 1:08 pm
Fantasy/Sword and Sorcery - World of Dungeons - PbtA

World of Dungeons (WoDu) was written as a joke by John Harper as part the of the Dungeon World Kickstarter. It turned into a pretty neat game in its own right.

It is based on the Powered by the Apocalypse rules that Dungeon World was based on, but acknowledges that every roll can ultimately be represented as the Act Under Pressure move, so it does away with all the other moves, using only that one.

Wold of Dungeons provides the minimum amount of rules to run quick and easy Fantasy games. Like most rules-light games, it relies a fair bit on the GM's discretion and player's trust in the GM.

Wold of Dungeons leans more towards 'sword and sorcery' style games than 'high fantasy; --think Conan rather than Lord of the Rings. Magic is probably a bad idea, don't try use it unless you want to be corrupted by it and judged by others.

The game is available for free at One Seven Design (PDF) and itch.io.

Apply here.
Last edited August 12, 2021 4:21 pm
Aug 7, 2021 1:11 pm
Cyberpunk - Yesterday's Tomorrow - PbtA

Yesterday's Tomorrow is a Cyberpunk game written by Stras Acimovic. It uses (but does expand a little on) the World of Dungeon (WoDu) ruleset, which, in turn, is a boiled down 'single move' form of Powered by the Apocalypse (PbtA).

YT provides the minimum amount of rules to run quick Cyberpunk games. It has optional rules for magic and spirits, for those who think of 'Shadowrun' when they hear 'cyberpunk'. Progression and leveling-up are also optional rules.

The game is available for free at Off Guard Games get the v1.1 PDF, though, it has some typos corrected.

Aside: I have recently read Andy Weir's excellent book Artemis, so a little moonpunk might slip in too, if we want.

Description from the book
Yesterday's Tomorrow is a game about cyberpunk criminals attempting daring heists in a neon-lit 2020 future, as seen through the lens of the 1980s.

We play to find out if our crew of runners can outwit the corporations, whether they can deal with the cutting edge tech, bioware and systemic opressions to complete their task, and whether they manage to solve their own personal problems enough to retire from the life.

This is a game inspired by classic cyberpunk books like Neuromancer, media like Ghost in the Shell and Altered Carbon, and retrowave music.

Apply here.
Last edited August 12, 2021 4:22 pm
Aug 7, 2021 1:13 pm
Modern/Urban Fantasy - World of Dungeons Turbo: Breakers - PbtA

This little known gem of a game was written by John Harper, and is a simplification of his excellent World of Dungeons system, set in modern times. Instead of the traditional six stats it only has three (a much more reasonable number in my mind).

It allows modern day characters to go 'dungeon delving' and deal with monsters and magic, possibly with guns. (Wait, do the monsters have guns, or the characters?)

It can be a bit silly, in a Saturday Morning Cartoons kind of way, but I plan to avoid that level (never having watched SMCs), we might touch on Ghostbusters style as the extreme end of our zany.

The game is available for free at One Seven Design and itch.io.

Description from the book
The magical realm of Kyvr'ax has collided with Earth, shearing the dimensions and creating a mashed-up borderland between our reality and the monster-infested domain of the wizard Kai Shira Kai. You play working-class heroes who explore the twisted Break seeking fame and fortune. But don't stay too long, or the Cloud of Woe will surely find you!

Apply here.
Last edited August 12, 2021 4:22 pm
Aug 7, 2021 1:14 pm
Next?: Space - Offworlders - PbtA

It really does look like I should add Offworlders to my offerings. With all that WoDu, it is the logical next thing. If there is interest, we can look at finding someone to run it. :)
Aug 7, 2021 10:12 pm
I can offer introductory games with pre-generated characters to ease people into the game. I can teach any version of D&D (except 4e because I hate creating 4e characters without computer aid), Villains & Vigilantes 2.1, Mighty Protectors (V&V 3.0), Alternity (old or new), Pathfinder 1e, Mutants & Masterminds 3e, or Savage Worlds (SWADE). Name your poison and I'll arrange a brief demo game for those who are interested.
Aug 8, 2021 6:19 am
vagueGM says:
Aspiring GMs: If you are actually wanting to learn to run games, apply and I am happy to teach those skills as well (don't tell anyone I told you, but GMing really is not that hard:). We can set up a quick scene or scenario and find a few willing player-guineapigs to help. (If there is enough interest, we may move this to its own game.)
I have added you to the list of Mentor GMs accepting Learner GMs at the GM Mentoring Project.
Quote:
• vagueGM: World of Dungeon (WoDu), Powered by the Apocalypse (PbtA)
Aug 12, 2021 4:26 pm
Added 'Apply here' links to my posts. The jargon distinction of 'details, forum, post' would not be clear to new players... ah, habits and laziness. :)
Aug 12, 2021 7:10 pm
I'm new to both PbP and most of the above systems. I'd love to pick up a few, learn the rules and how to be a better at RP. I've played DnD 5e, Pathfinder 1&2e, 1 game of VotM, and 1 of DW as my list for experience.
On another note the idea of learning how to be a better GM interests me so joining the GM mentoring project is something I'd like to do.
Aug 12, 2021 7:31 pm
OkumHart says:
... learn the rules and how to be a better at RP ....
Welcome.
The best way to become better is by doing. So play a lot, and run a lot if you want to GM.

Hop in on any of the above games, or tell WhtKnt which of theirs you want them to set up for you.

We could still use some spare-body players to fill out the ranks on most of mine.

The rules are free, but it does help to have a more complete PbtA game to refer to as well for GM and player advice and how things work.
As a reference: Dungeon World will do (and the Dungeon World Guide is apparently a good read for those coming from traditional DnD style) and the Dungeon World SRD is the complete text from the book, and free (though a little hard to read), and I recommend Apocalypse World (the first edition is free on the apocalypse-world.com, and mostly the same game as the second edition, the is no hardship reading one and playing the other) though AW's language can be a bit... hmm... rude for some (it put me off reading it the longest time:) but works in the setting.
OkumHart says:
... joining the GM mentoring project is something I'd like to do ....
As a mentor or as a mentee (is that a word... it should be, if not s/mentee/learner/g).

Would you want your own game to learn GMing in, or would you want to do it as a group? There was interest in PbtA GMing elsewhere earlier, so we might have two. I am happy to do both one-on-one and group sessions, and to take people into both at the same time.
Aug 12, 2021 10:08 pm
Quote:
As a mentor or as a mentee (is that a word... it should be, if not s/mentee/learner/g).
As a mentee, as I've DM'd a bit in 5e but that was 3+ years ago. There's a lot I would like and need to learn. Style, pacing, setting the scene, and new systems better suited to PbP.
Quote:
Would you want your own game to learn GMing in, or would you want to do it as a group? There was interest in PbtA GMing elsewhere earlier, so we might have two. I am happy to do both one-on-one and group sessions, and to take people into both at the same time.
I think doing a group session would be great, as there will be more people to bounce ideas off of and might help those of us who are new (like me) to meet other members and feel like part of the community.
Last edited August 12, 2021 10:11 pm
Aug 12, 2021 10:11 pm
Quote:
... a group session would be great, as there will be more people to bounce ideas off of and might help those of us who are new (like me) to meet other members and feel like part of the community.
Also saves on some repitition.

Join the Round Table, get in at the ground level and shape how it grows (i.e. there is not much there yet, but I can get it running once there is interest).
Sep 17, 2021 12:36 pm
vagueGM says:
Fantasy/Sword and Sorcery - World of Dungeons - PbtA

World of Dungeons (WoDu) was written as a joke by John Harper as part the of the Dungeon World Kickstarter. It turned into a pretty neat game in its own right.

It is based on the Powered by the Apocalypse rules that Dungeon World was based on, but acknowledges that every roll can ultimately be represented as the Act Under Pressure move, so it does away with all the other moves, using only that one.

Wold of Dungeons provides the minimum amount of rules to run quick and easy Fantasy games. Like most rules-light games, it relies a fair bit on the GM's discretion and player's trust in the GM.

Wold of Dungeons leans more towards 'sword and sorcery' style games than 'high fantasy; --think Conan rather than Lord of the Rings. Magic is probably a bad idea, don't try use it unless you want to be corrupted by it and judged by others.

The game is available for free at One Seven Design (PDF) and itch.io.

Apply here.
Hello. I am more of an experienced player overall, I believe, but currently looking to join a game of less demanding pressure and lighter in rules department so WoD feels like a good one to try ^_^
Also, I think it's always nice to play with new people, who are more curious and genuine.
In terms of practical moments, I am living in RF, so time differences are good to remember, and there are already few character concepts I'd like to try out and can set down to write them any moment.

Thank you for taking care of new players and giving them opportunity to try themselves at the games we enjoy.
Sep 17, 2021 12:48 pm
Welcome aboard LizzyPinkHood. Invite sent, accept it on the game page, then we can chat in the game about your character concepts and find something that can easily slot into the current action.

We have players from all around the world, so time differences should not be a problem.

Have you played Play by Post before?
What game systems are you familiar with? Have you played PbtA (Powered by the Apocalypse) games before?
Sep 25, 2021 11:50 pm
World of Dungeons, me like. Is there a spot, and what does the party need?
Sep 26, 2021 12:49 pm
Valdus says:
World of Dungeons, me like. Is there a spot, and what does the party need?
Welcome aboard.
Valdus says:
... what does the party need?
We have no formal 'party composition' requirements, you can play whatever you like, the game will shape itself around the characters. The dice may nudge you one way or the other, though. :)
Sep 27, 2021 12:53 am
Hey, I am new to tabletop gaming, but I like the idea of Yesterday's Tomorrow. Do I just apply or...?
Sep 27, 2021 1:33 am
Notthedarkweb says:
Hey, I am new to tabletop gaming, but I like the idea of Yesterday's Tomorrow. Do I just apply or...?
By all means.

Many games will have specific rules and procedures to follow before applying, so, if they are not made clear, asking the best policy. Personally: I don't ask for character ideas before players are in the game, I prefer for players to make characters together with the other players, but some game runners will ask you to create a character on your own and apply with that character. Talk to the GM (game master).
There are a few problems that we can work around.

Firstly: Yesterday's Tomorrow is one of the 'ulra-rules-light' games, or verging on it. This often means that it does not include many/most of the rules that are needed, and assumes the players are familiar with how RPGs work in general (the 'role playing games' not the 'rocket propelled grenades'... this distinction is relevant since this RPG might contain RPGs...:), and how Powered by the Apocalypse games work in particular.
We can overcome this problem. I can teach you what you need to know to play this, and other games.
However, some find it easier to have a rulebook they can read on their own. If that is you, then we can talk about some rulebooks to get you started. Apocalypse World (1e is free, 2e is better), The Sprawl, and The Veil come to mind as places to start in this case, but are not required.

Secondly: The game is currently empty. We had one other player, but they have been absent for a few weeks (after saying in another game a few days before that they were really busy and hoped to get back to us 'in two days').
Cyberpunk can be tricky with only one player, but, if you want, we can focus on your learning experience, and others may join later. Else we can try recruiting more players.
Sep 27, 2021 5:42 pm
vagueGM says:
Notthedarkweb says:
By all means.

Many games will have specific rules and procedures to follow before applying, so, if they are not made clear, asking the best policy. Personally: I don't ask for character ideas before players are in the game, I prefer for players to make characters together with the other players, but some game runners will ask you to create a character on your own and apply with that character. Talk to the GM (game master).
There are a few problems that we can work around.

Firstly: Yesterday's Tomorrow is one of the 'ulra-rules-light' games, or verging on it. This often means that it does not include many/most of the rules that are needed, and assumes the players are familiar with how RPGs work in general (the 'role playing games' not the 'rocket propelled grenades'... this distinction is relevant since this RPG might contain RPGs...:), and how Powered by the Apocalypse games work in particular.
We can overcome this problem. I can teach you what you need to know to play this, and other games.
However, some find it easier to have a rulebook they can read on their own. If that is you, then we can talk about some rulebooks to get you started. Apocalypse World (1e is free, 2e is better), The Sprawl, and The Veil come to mind as places to start in this case, but are not required.

Secondly: The game is currently empty. We had one other player, but they have been absent for a few weeks (after saying in another game a few days before that they were really busy and hoped to get back to us 'in two days').
Cyberpunk can be tricky with only one player, but, if you want, we can focus on your learning experience, and others may join later. Else we can try recruiting more players.
Ah, so considering all of these, should I probably look at some of the other games? I don't really like the idea of playing with only one player for some reason. Seems a bit lonely
Sep 27, 2021 5:57 pm
Notthedarkweb says:
... playing with only one player for some reason. Seems a bit lonely
Yeah, it can be a strange introduction. It also puts a lot of pressure on that sole player to be constantly in the spotlight.

I am happy to run a quick, teaching, solo mission for you though, if you decide to try it.
Anyone else interesting in some Cyberpunk?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.