[Closed] Aberrant: A dystopian supers game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedWorld of DarknessPrivate1 / dayBedzoneII
This is a what-if game, a mirror universe: earth’s mightiest heroes, its premier super-team are the villains of this story. The government bows to them. They are backed by the richest megacorp in the world. Other super-beings either have gone underground, mysteriously vanished, been incarcerated or klled, or abide by the Powers Registration Act.
Then there is you. For some reason you have abilities: you’re an alien, you’re a mutant, you’re an experiment, you’re an accident, you discovered an artifact, a curse, a secret, a spirit, The question is: are you a hero? And if so, what will you do in a world without heroes?

Sep 22, 2021 3:50 pm
The Seven (The Boys). The Crime Syndicate of Earth-3 (DC). Squadron Supreme (Marvel). Even the Plutonian (Irredeemable). This is a what-if game, a mirror universe: earth’s mightiest heroes, its premier super-team are the villains of this story. The government bows to them. They are backed by the richest megacorp in the world. Other super-beings either have gone underground, mysteriously vanished, been incarcerated or klled, or abide by the Powers Registration Act.

Then there is you. For some reason you have abilities: you’re an alien, you’re a mutant, you’re an experiment, you’re an accident, you discovered an artifact, a curse, a secret, a spirit, The question is: are you a hero? And if so, what will you do in a world without heroes?

I’d like to run this game using either the Aberrant 1e (World of Darkness) system, or Fate Core (Venture City), which are respectively the WoD and Fate takes on superhero RPGing, including their supplements. Although I’m also prepared to consider Mutants and Masterminds (or even some other supers game system) if we prefer. I’m pitching this because the idea has been cooking in my head for the longest time, because we haven’t had a supers game pop up for a while, and because there was at one point a queue of requests in the Looking For a Game thread for both those systems.

This game can swing both ways, in consultation with its players: we can either stick to the 4-colour universe of superhero comics, or delve into grittier themes and portrayals. What is certain is that it will shamelessly use all the familiar tropes and conventions comic book/tv/movie fans will be familiar with.

Some familiarity with the game system will help, but I’m open to having players new to the system on board. Neither system is particularly challenging to pick up. All are welcome, and this game is explicitly friendly to marginalised groups. I’d like to give some preference to long-time names on the Looking For a Game waitlist, but an interesting pitch is always welcome.

We can aim for 1 post per day, but as I’m open to up to six players, I’m guessing it might settle down to a routine of 1 every other day, with weekends being quieter. I’m even prepared to take up to eight, if we’re able to imagine a superteam in-out roster for the times when a player is sometimes absent or unable to post. I aim to start this up when October comes round.

All in-game posts will be on Gamers Plane, but I find having a Discord chat immensely helpful. No other resources are needed.

I'm a long-time player and GM, starting with D&D (where else?), cut my teeth on play-by-(e)mail as the earliest iteration of forum-style gaming when age and distance made it harder and harder to meet my gamer groups on a regular basis. I've been here for a while as well, and intend to hang around for even longer. If this game isn't your cup of tea, my next game offer will likely be a wuxia game ripping off everything from Crouching Tiger to Shang-Chi. Just a heads up. :)
Last edited February 12, 2022 3:04 pm
Sep 22, 2021 4:12 pm
Sounds like an interesting premise. I own Aberrant 1e and have wanted to try it, but I don’t know much about the new version of Aberrant. I’m very familiar with the old Storyteller System. I have minimal experience with Fate and M&M.
Last edited September 22, 2021 4:13 pm
Sep 22, 2021 4:19 pm
Ooh I should edit. I mean Aberrant 1e, which is Storyteller/WoD, rather than the new Trinity Continuum system edition.
Last edited September 22, 2021 4:22 pm
Sep 23, 2021 5:22 pm
I shouldn't throw my hat in the ring -- trying to clear my plate a little and run a new game or two. But if this is going to be Fate-based I will be hard-pressed to not fling my chapeau...
Sep 24, 2021 1:40 am
You've probably run more Fate games than I have. :) Over at Discord we were also discussing the possibility of Fate Accelerated rather than Core, and there's a 4-Color FAE ruleset for supers, rather than Venture City.

So in general, as promised, the specific game system is up for discussion. But the premise is most definitely a story I'd like to play out.
Sep 24, 2021 4:34 am
Yeah, I saw the discussion on the Discord -- late, so I didn't comment. I'd second that the various iterations of Four Color FAE are very cool, and Heroes Accelerated is as well. (It's like a slightly revamped take on FC FAE)

Venture City has Core as a base, and the power stuff always seemed a little fiddly to me. The guts of Atomic Robo would work as well, but in the end -- yeah, any of these would work.
Sep 25, 2021 5:45 pm
I know the FATE system and this sounds quite interesting if it's still open.
Sep 27, 2021 11:59 am
So far I have:

Yes
PhoenixScientist
Naelick

Interested (but happy to let others have a spot because we always have too many games)
79RpmLife
BowlofSpinach (more drama less combat)

Maybe?
Gnome Chomsky (preferring Aberrant)
Harrigan (if Fate)

This looks like a solid list of players. Let me keep it open for a bit more to see if anyone else wants to pop in, and if you still need to weigh whether you can add another game to your load :) . Then I'll open a game to chat to see if we can align our differing experiences with the system and our expectations.
Last edited September 27, 2021 12:43 pm
Sep 27, 2021 3:28 pm
Is this the version of Aberrant you were thinking of?
[ +- ] Aberrant
Sep 27, 2021 8:00 pm
I should probably abstain, but I'd be keen to follow along if you're Fate-ing it...
Sep 28, 2021 4:31 am
BedzoneII says:
So far I have:

Yes
PhoenixScientist
Naelick

Interested (but happy to let others have a spot because we always have too many games)
79RpmLife

Maybe?
Gnome Chomsky (preferring Aberrant)
Harrigan (if Fate)

This looks like a solid list of players. Let me keep it open for a bit more to see if anyone else wants to pop in, and if you still need to weigh whether you can add another game to your load :) . Then I'll open a game to chat to see if we can align our differing experiences with the system and our expectations.
I'm definitely interested. I'd prefer Aberrant 1e, but I'm open to other systems. With other systems, my experience may be limited. I've played Fate Accelerated and Mutants & Masterminds 3e, both of which were short-lived games. I have experience with a few other supers systems as well.
Last edited September 28, 2021 4:32 am
Sep 28, 2021 4:53 am
I've been watching with a bit of interest and wouldn't mind throwing my hating the ring for consideration for a spot. I've got experience with Aberrant 1e and Mutants and Masterminds, but not so much with Fate (four color or otherwise).
Sep 28, 2021 5:17 am
On that note, I am familiar with WOD henerally and have some expierence with M&M.
Sep 28, 2021 10:32 am
Phoenix, I'm hoping to use the original Aberrant 1e through the Storyteller (aka World of Darkness) system. Just clarifying, because your picture shows the d20 conversion.

Yes
PhoenixScientist
Naelick (prefer Fate)
Gnome Chomsky (prefer Aberrant)
Harrigan (if Fate)
Witchdoctor

79RpmLife

Gonna leave this up for a couple more days, and then I think we might actually have a comfortable number to start! Thanks for the interest thus far!
Last edited September 28, 2021 11:16 am
Sep 28, 2021 3:48 pm
If it's using Aberrant, rather than Fate, I'm going to bow out. Not really interested in that
Sep 28, 2021 6:36 pm
As system preferences go I like:
1) Mutants and Masterminds
2) Mutants and Masterminds
3) FATE
4) Aberrant

Though I realise we are probably going to settle would say that Mutants and Masterminds is a great superhero system, and has a built in way to set what tier of play we want to start at. Plus the powers have more dials for customization.
Last edited September 28, 2021 6:39 pm
Sep 28, 2021 6:38 pm
Quote:
As system preferences go I like:
1) Mutants and Masterminds
2) Mutants and Masterminds
3) FATE
4) Aberrant
Hey, that's similar to mine.

1) Smallville RPG
2) Smallville RPG
3) Cortex Prime copying everything about Smallville RPG
4) FATE
Sep 28, 2021 6:41 pm
I've never checked out the SmallvilleRPG. ThoughI liked the show.
Too many RPGs not enough time.
Sep 28, 2021 6:59 pm
It's an older version of Cortex Prime.

But it was also the first game that taught me a new direction that RPGs can take. And it completely changed my view on the whole medium 😄
Still planning on reviving a dead game of mine that used a modified Smallville
Sep 29, 2021 8:18 am
I haven't looked carefully at M&M 3e, which is the latest. I do have good experiences with the earlier editions. Browsing it now ...

Smallville reads great! No experience with it whatsoever though in running it.

I do appreciate people chiming in with different system suggestions, we'll see if we get some consensus.
Last edited September 29, 2021 8:21 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.