Pronouns and Profile Pages

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 4, 2021 6:38 am
As part of the big update, the user profile pages have been updated a bit as well.
One change included turning the gender option from a male/female selection into a fillable pronouns field. We opted to not auto-translate male to "he/him" and female to "she/her" but instead just start it off as empty for everyone. If you do want to have your pronouns listed to help people refer to you in the correct way, head over to the settings and add your pronouns there.

Of course, that's entirely optional. If you don't want to add your pronouns, you don't have to, in which case the field will simply not appear on your profile page.
[ +- ] Example
Nov 4, 2021 3:07 pm
This is a helpful addition. Thanks! Do these pronouns only appear on the user's profile page? Is there a way to make them display by default under people's names/avatars?
Nov 4, 2021 3:13 pm
SavageBob says:
Is there a way to make them display by default under people's names/avatars?
Not yet. At the moment they're just on the profile page.
Nov 5, 2021 11:03 am
I think it is cool that pronouns are on the profile page, but I'm not sure it belongs in or around the avatars and usernames.
Nov 5, 2021 2:44 pm
Respectfully, I beg to differ, rune. If I'm trying to address a player in one of my games, I'd rather not have to click on their profile to know whether to write "he" or "she" or something else. This comes up all the time in my games. "Hey, folks! We'll move on to the next scene as soon as PlayerXYZ takes his/her/their turn!"

If something is added to allow the pronouns to appear below avatars, my thought is that there could be a toggle for people to turn it off if they prefer. I'm no programmer, so I have no idea how feasible that is. But if it were, you'd be covered if you didn't want the pronouns to display automatically.
Nov 5, 2021 2:57 pm
maybe it can be hover/popup text?
Nov 5, 2021 3:35 pm
I agree, displaying it with the user name/avatar would be appropriate most of the time.

However the complication I see with that, is if you're playing a character with different pronouns (I often do), it could get confusing.
Last edited November 5, 2021 3:35 pm
Nov 5, 2021 3:39 pm
crazybirdman says:
maybe it can be hover/popup text?
That's a cool idea.
Nov 5, 2021 3:40 pm
Perhaps it could hover over the players in the drop-down at the bottom. It'd be easily accessible but not confused for the character itself.
Nov 5, 2021 6:30 pm
SavageBob says:
Respectfully, I beg to differ, rune. If I'm trying to address a player in one of my games, I'd rather not have to click on their profile to know whether to write "he" or "she" or something else. This comes up all the time in my games. "Hey, folks! We'll move on to the next scene as soon as PlayerXYZ takes his/her/their turn!"
I stand corrected. :)
My incompleat reasoning was we usally play another character and adding pronouns to our avatars would just cludder the screenspace.
Nov 5, 2021 11:36 pm
emsquared says:
... character with different pronouns ...
I don't think people will mind as much if we use the wrong pronouns for their character.

Most posts are in third person, so they are using their characters pronouns all the time, so it is much clearer than when people talk about themselves and the pronoun is 'me'.

So character pronouns are less of a problem.
Nov 6, 2021 4:42 pm
I also like the idea of having the pronouns visible under the name.

Regarding the character pronoun, would it be possible to have a similar setting for the character's pronouns and when you're posting as the character it shows those pronouns instead of the gamer's?
Nov 20, 2021 7:53 am
Hovering is a good idea on PC but not so much for mobile. Putting it under the username seems the simplest.
Nov 30, 2021 10:42 am
I'd rather not have my pronouns under my icon or avatar. Too much work, and I also like to play female characters, which could be confusing for GMs.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.