The Moon in the Well

Nov 30, 2021 8:49 pm
https://i.vgy.me/wceNW9.jpg

You emerge from the portal outside of a mineshaft entrance high up in the mountains. Nearby is a small wooden shack. It is dark when you emerge and the moon is full, the unseasonably hot hazy air of the night sticking uncomfortably to your filthy skin. The ground trembles continuously and you can feel a noticeable sucking of air into the darkness of the mineshaft.

You pause and take stock of who has made it out of the mines alive. Andreas is there, though whatever happened to him on that altar of chaos has changed him horribly; his eyes now pure black and the tracks of his veins run putrid up his neck. Raine has made it back from the dead as well, his eyes now reflecting golden light in the darkness as would a bat's. Slinky, now Verod, sniffs the hot night air with his newfound animal senses while Bishka and Slye stare at the trio in mild shock. Ziva, Ostarghi and Mathias emerge from the portal; Ziva and Mathias covered in blood and wearing slightly guilty looks on their faces.

Andreas, Raine, Mathias and Ziva realize, once they've finished with their panic, that they stand naked against the night covered only in the blood of their one time companions. Aside from the wooden shack, the only other feature of this alpine landscape is a narrow road through the mountain leading away from the mineshaft...
Nov 30, 2021 9:40 pm
Mathias
Despite his nakedness (by this point, everyone's seen much worse) Mathias creeps up to the house, at first looking for a window to peek through, then moving to the door. With so many of them out there, stealth was never a possibility, but they could at least be careful in their approach and get whatever they could out of this shack. If only he had a proper set of tools instead of just that shiv Ostarghi handed him...

Ostarghi
Not far behind, Ostarghi readies his shield and makeshift weapon, prepared for anything nasty that might come out of the front door once opened.
Last edited November 30, 2021 9:41 pm

Rolls

Listen (Luck) - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Find Trap - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

Disable Trap, if one is found - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Pick Lock, if door is locked - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Nov 30, 2021 9:47 pm
Mathias finds that the wooden shack is little more than a shed with no windows and many gaps in it's construction that allow him to see that there is no life inside. He pops the crude latch and opens the rickety door.

Inside are pegs lining the walls, hanging from which are many sets of miner's coveralls with heavy leather boots lined up beneath them. The coveralls are filthy with dirt and soot and the boots are worn, but they seem better than facing the elements in naught but a haircut.

Mathias

DarK_RaideR

Nov 30, 2021 10:05 pm
Mathias
Mathias quickly changes into a set of clothes and helps the other naked ones put something on. If there are spare outfits after that, he will save one for Ostarghi as well. Dirty, but better than the rags he had as a slave miner.
Nov 30, 2021 11:04 pm
Slye watches Mathias unlock the shed with naught but a knife and realizes he has something better. He hands Mathias the small toolkit he found in the sorcerer's workshop with a half smile.

"You'll probably get more use out of these than I will. Too small to fight with, and I don't do clockwork."
OOC:
the small toolkit is equivalent to thieves' tools
Nov 30, 2021 11:10 pm
Andreas clothes himself with the others though maintains distance well aware of how horrifying his Visage has become, in spite of how much stronger his body had become. The hammer he held glowed its baleful green light. He began searching the shed for something of use.

Rolls

Luck - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Nov 30, 2021 11:24 pm
Raine exchanged a look with his other companions who had returned from beyond the veil and wondered if they, too, had been approached by Noctys. He was struck by the clarity of his vision. It seemed to him as if it had expanded somehow; that his eyes were attuned to see something other than light. Even so, he couldn't read his companions' expressions well enough to be certain whether or not they had been touched by the divine.

He followed Mathias to the shed and was pleased to find the miners' boots and coveralls. They were grungy, but so was he at the moment and he donned a pair without hesitation. Once he was dressed he rejoined the group and said, "The manuscript that was found in the Sorcerer's workshop... may I see it, please?"
Dec 1, 2021 12:52 am
Andreas looks around the dark shed but it is clearly just a closet for the miners that originally worked this mine.
Dec 1, 2021 2:23 am
Ziva, having been recently stripped of life, feels grateful even though she is naked and soaked in sacrificial blood. She looks wistfully at Raine upon hearing the request for the manuscript and puts empty hands out to emphasize her evident lack of anything.
She uses an extra coverall to wipe herself clean and dons another pair with only soot stains. The boots are too large but the protection is worth the odd fit. She looks for something suitable to pad the toes.

Verod produces the skin-bound sheets and says, "Here, I knew someone would be able to make sense of this. It seems insane to me. By the way, call me Verod. It is my born name. We might as well as know each other since our fates are inexorably linked now."
Dec 1, 2021 3:59 am
Bishka sits down with her back against the shack to just rest and process what they had just experienced. It seemed so unfair, from being captured in the first place, to half of them not escaping in the end. But would any of them have escaped had they all stayed slaves? Not many, if any. She fingered the red gem in her pocket, thankfully the man who had rescued her.

She sees a few of the group enter the shack naked and come out dressed. She looked down at her own rags. Well, let the ones who need them most take what they can. I'll go look once everyone who needs it most is taken care of. She then looks over to her pitchfork that she had inherited from Will. It was stabby but she was a blacksmith (or an apprentice one at least) and she needed something more familiar. A hammer of some kind, or something equally weighty and bludgeon-y. Well, ex-slaves can't be choosers and all she can do is hope she comes across something soon.
Dec 1, 2021 5:04 am
There are enough of the leather workman's tunics and boots for 10 miners in the shack, enough that everyone is able to cover themselves. The mineshaft is built such that the road runs into it, leaving only one path of egress. The narrow mountain trail leads off to the West, deeper into the rugged wilderness...

Dec 1, 2021 5:36 am
Verod, although his thick fur keeps him warm, considers repurposing the leather from the tunics to cover his vitals in case of attack.
OOC:
He plans to use his down time over the next few rests to fashion crude armor for his chest and bracers for his forearms. I’m guessing his claws will serve as an awl for piercing holes. For now, he is just carrying the leather.
To the crew, he suggests, "best we get some rest here in the shack for it may be some time before we have safe shelter again." and he turns to Mathias and Slye to continue practicing using his given name, "I will be called Verod. And you?"
Dec 1, 2021 6:25 am
Mathias
"Name's Mathias" Verod gets his response, a thousand yard stare in the man's eyes. It's not that Mathias is lost in thought, but he seems somewhat emotionally detached from all the crazy things happening around him, as though nothing can shock him any more. Clearly his mind is delaying processing everything, acting out of pure self defence to protect his sanity from the trauma.
Ostarghi
Now carrying his shield and grappling hook with renewed confidence after surviving the Caves of Chaos, Ostarghi is a strange sight, a man with plenty of fighting left in him but the most off the wall equipment to do it with. "I'm Ostarghi, and you are right about resting. We have no idea what's up ahead, or when we'll be in relative safety again. We should however agree to watches and patrols, have someone stand guard while the others sleep so we don't get ambushed and slaughtered."
Dec 1, 2021 6:44 am
As you discuss watch rotations and sleeping armaments, you feel a noticeable increase in the strength of the tremors and suddenly a large earthquake shakes the ground and causes the shack to tremble. The sucking sound of air rushing into the mineshaft is now keenly noticable...
Dec 1, 2021 7:14 am
Raine accepted the manuscript from Verod and said, "Thank you, my friend. I am glad to see you embrace the changes that have come over you." He glanced at the writing inside long enough to verify that whatever Noctys had done to his eyes had imparted in him the ability to understand the strange writings in the manuscript. Satisfied, he tucked the manuscript into an inner pocket of the coveralls and addressed the group.

"What I am about to tell you may be difficult to believe. Having experienced it myself I am not sure that I would believe it were it not for the gifts that have been bestowed upon me." He paused for a moment then, believing that it added to the gravitas of what he was about to say. "I can only think that the chimera that attacked us struck me dead with a single blow because I remember it rushing toward me but then everything went black and I felt like I was falling. Gradually, I began to sense things around me. I was still falling, but the motion had begun a downward spiral. I was surrounded by dark flames that I could feel but couldn't see. I could sense other things in the darkness moving around me rapidly, too. Then I heard her voice.

'Mortal, can you hear me? I am Noctys, Goddess of the Night, the Cult of Chaos has imprisoned me but something has happened, a quake has weakened my prison. I will help you escape, in turn you must find my temple and set me free. Without me holding back the tide the night has become rife with the demons of chaos, soon the balance will tip beyond correction.'

I agreed, of course, for here I stand. She gifted me with her eyesight and I could suddenly see the things that I had only sensed before; all manner of fiends circling me hungrily. I can only imagine it was her presence that kept them from devouring me. I saw a light, as well, and I reached for it with my mind. It rushed toward me, or I toward it. I don't know which of us moved but when we collided I found myself standing before that portal with the rest of you and I leaped through it.

I can feel her now, Noctys, to the west and I must fulfill my part of the bargain. You all are under no obligation to help, but I would appreciate your assistance. If I fail in this task I fear the world will soon be overrun by monstrosities the likes of which only we have seen."

Suddenly, Raine noticed how unstable the area was becoming. "I agree that we need rest, Verod, but I think that this is not the place to lay our heads. Come. Let us seek shelter away from this cursed mine."
OOC:
I have edited this post to reflect information in other posts that were submitted while I was writing it.
Last edited December 1, 2021 7:22 am
Dec 1, 2021 9:02 am
Andreas "The Son of A Shepherd"

Andreas nodded at the introduction but appeared to be losing interest when all the information was being given. Freaky things had been going on, and his own post mortem experience was just as strange as doubtlessly anyone else's. He was conscious of his continued desire to live and forged ahead. "You may call me Andreas. It would be wise if you followed me now."

The man began to jog down the path on the mountain side.
Dec 1, 2021 10:48 am
Bishka puts on the miner coveralls and was thankful to have sturdy if dirty clothes once again. And not to mention pockets.

Seeing everyone introducing themselves, Bishka follows suit. "I'm Bishka Touren. I was an apprentice blacksmith in the town of Hyeng-zhar when it was raided and I was captured. I don't know exactly where we are or how to get back. Hells I don't even think there's anything to go back to. I'll gladly join you. Just keep an eye out for a weapon more befitting a blacksmith. The heavier the better. A shield won't go amiss either," she adds after a small moment of contemplation.

After the rumbling starts, she nods along with the wisdom of moving on. She consults her ruby pocket watch, clearly non-functional but she pretends otherwise, and says, "Looks like it's time to go."
OOC:
As a dwarf, can I make any rolls about geology for mountains or earthquakes to find a safe passage?
Last edited December 1, 2021 10:49 am
Dec 1, 2021 2:31 pm
nezzeraj says:
OOC:
As a dwarf, can I make any rolls about geology for mountains or earthquakes to find a safe passage?
OOC:
The mountain road to the West is the only path to take, the area seems to be becoming less stable by the minute
Dec 1, 2021 2:38 pm
Andreas breaks into a run. "Father into your hands, I commend their spirits." He was fleeing, quite literally like a bat out of hell.
Dec 1, 2021 4:21 pm
Verod, recognizing the risk, resigns himself to put off rest until later and runs along the path following the man from hell.

Ziva was already sensing the need to get away from the chaos mines. She joins the group at a steady pace surprised to feel any strength in her legs.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.