Idea for a series of solo games on GP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 9, 2021 5:52 pm
Over the last couple of years like much of humanity, I've been forced to change a lot of my everyday life, such as gaming. As a result, I started exploring solo games once my flesh and blood group couldn't meet anymore, and likely won't anytime soon. However, I think there are other people on GP who went a similar route.

We want to game, but don't have anyone to share a table with. I guess it's time to go it alone.

Like GMless games, solo gaming can be a much different experience as to when a group of people share a table with a GM sort of facilitating the activities. While lurking a bit on Discord, I've seen people express an interest in solo games, or are already running stuff for themselves.

My idea was to run a series of public solo games on GP so people could see how they work. I've seen Ironsworn come up a couple of times, but there are others.
In my mind, it's kind of a showcase, but it would be cool if other people on GP would be willing to participate.

For open-ended games like Ironsworn, we could set a limit on how long the game ran for if that helps to streamline things.

Just an idea

Would there be any interest in this?
Dec 9, 2021 6:31 pm
Could be interesting. So for example could someone chronicle their 1000 year old vampire advnetures here for other people to read?
Dec 9, 2021 6:40 pm
It's a cool idea. There are plenty of fan-made supplements on DriveThru RPG that explain how to solo most any game. It might be fun to read someone else's adventure. However, I wonder if this might be more successful once/if Adam implements comments on public games from folks who aren't "officially" part of that game? In other words, getting feedback from the peanut gallery may breathe additional life into these kinds of games, but that functionality doesn't exist yet.
Dec 9, 2021 6:41 pm
I could post my Scarlet Heroes solo that I played a few years ago. I'd have to find it. It's in a few installments. But it's a good idea to bring like-minded individuals together here. It's becoming a significant-sized community of TTRPG gamers.

The link I posted has a quick description of the game with the quickstart pdf and character sheet links.
Last edited December 9, 2021 6:43 pm
Dec 9, 2021 6:43 pm
I was working on a solo storytelling system a good while ago. Might be worth reviving and trying out in public here 🤔
Dec 9, 2021 6:48 pm
crazybirdman says:
Could be interesting. So for example could someone chronicle their 1000-year-old vampire adventures here for other people to read?
Yes, that's kind of the idea I was going for. I could set up a game and some forums, send out invites, and we could simultaneously run games independent of one another. I don't think it's possible to have multiple GMs in a game, but we could always pass the duties back and forth if we needed to add components to our games.
Dec 9, 2021 6:49 pm
Windyridge says:
I could post my Scarlet Heroes solo that I played a few years ago. I'd have to find it. It's in a few installments. But it's a good idea to bring like-minded individuals together here. It's becoming a significant-sized community of TTRPG gamers.

The link I posted has a quick description of the game with the quickstart pdf and character sheet links.
Yes! Definitely bringing people together.
Dec 9, 2021 6:52 pm
Quote:
I don't think it's possible to have multiple GMs in a game
You can have multiple GMs in a game
Dec 9, 2021 7:08 pm
SavageBob says:
It's a cool idea. There are plenty of fan-made supplements on DriveThru RPG that explain how to solo most any game. It might be fun to read someone else's adventure. However, I wonder if this might be more successful once/if Adam implements comments on public games from folks who aren't "officially" part of that game? In other words, getting feedback from the peanut gallery may breathe additional life into these kinds of games, but that functionality doesn't exist yet.
I think this is a great question. I don't know. Perhaps there's enough curiosity that the games could be run, even if not commented on?
Dec 9, 2021 7:14 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I was working on a solo storytelling system a good while ago. Might be worth reviving and trying out in public here 🤔
Do it!
Dec 9, 2021 8:52 pm
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
SavageBob says:
I think this is a great question. I don't know. Perhaps there's enough curiosity that the games could be run, even if not commented on?
Or have an OOC for comments in the meantime with the game reference. Might be a workaround.
Dec 9, 2021 9:03 pm
Yea, but that only allows players in the game to comment. But makes sense for now and once that patch gets added, then the OOC can just be made free-for-all
Dec 9, 2021 9:10 pm
You could put the OOC thread in a public spot like the Halloween game discussion thread. That way anyone can follow the public game and then comment on the ooc thread. With mentions available now, it would be easy to bring someone's attention to a relevant post.
Last edited December 9, 2021 9:11 pm
Dec 9, 2021 9:14 pm
You could even generalize this and make a new public subforum called the Peanut Gallery. Anyone who is running a public game could add a thread to that forum for this type of public discussion.
Dec 9, 2021 9:17 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
You could even generalize this and make a new public subforum called the Peanut Gallery. Anyone who is running a public game could add a thread to that forum for this type of public discussion.
That would have been a great idea a while ago, rather than the public games list. I feel like with that ui upcoming patch, it makes not much sense to implement now but otherwise, it'd have been pretty great 😅
Dec 9, 2021 10:54 pm
I've been meaning to actually stick with playing a solo game, though I'd probably just stick to something like 2e/5e dnd or OSE and use an oracle system.
Dec 10, 2021 2:49 pm
I set the game up and would love to have any interested people join me.

https://gamersplane.com/games/3328/
Dec 10, 2021 11:22 pm
I've done this on another forum, twice even: one with the RuneQuest quickstart adventure/characters and one with Forgotten Lands. On both occasions, I wanted to get familiar with the game's rules and world, see how it plays out, whether I'd be interested to introduce people to it etc. I'll go check out the forum and maybe hop on board, there's a ton of stuff I wanted to try anyway.
Dec 11, 2021 1:09 am
Injave been working on solo odea myself and I was going to ask if it was allowable to run a public solo game here. Y'all have answered all my questions. I think it would be great to see a whole series of solo rpgs here. Itnwould be really entertaining

You do not have permission to post in this thread.