[CLOSED] Oneshot Adventure [5e / 13A / DW]

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 16, 2021 4:57 pm
Hello, my name is Data, and I have given up on not starting a new game before 2022. I've decided to channel my creative energy into running this random experiment where I run the same short oneshot module using 3 different groups and 3 different systems - D&D 5E, 13th Age, and Dungeon World.

(No, I do not know why I am like this either.)

The game I will be running is a slightly modified version of "The Frozen Sick" from Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, but I'll be filing off the serial numbers quite a bit here, so no knowledge of the setting is necessary (and those specifically looking for a Wildemount setting may not find this satisfying that particular need). This is a dramatic-adventure story, with roughly the same premise as "Balto".

Premise:
Quote:
Nohme is a growing port-town - the last beacon of civilization before setting sail for the icy frontier of the Eiselcross archipelago. It's home to merchants, traders, and animal herders, all trying to make their living in this world.

But, ten days ago, contaminated cargo from the islands made its way to port, and a strange magical affliction began to affect the town. Researchers who've studied Eiselcross call it "The Frigid Woe" - a disease that slowly turns its victims to ice. Fortunately, there is a cure, produced by the research facility on the main isle of Foren. Unfortunately, all attempts to contact the facility or send a team to retrieve the cure have ended in failure.

The port's been closed, the area quarantined - the rest of the country leaving Nohme to its chilling fate. You are an adventurer currently residing in and personally connected to the town of Nohme - whether a native or a well-integrated visitor. With no rescue in sight, there is only one way forward: you need to get that cure, or risk the entire town becoming a graveyard of frozen statues.
Setting: "The Biting North" an imposing fantasy land of ice, danger, and powerful forgotten relics. PCs will be fighting the elements and terrain as much as enemies and monsters as they struggle to complete their mission.
Genre: This campaign will have a Dark Fantasy feel, and a mix of RP and combat scenarios, however, PCs are welcome to (and encouraged) to solve problems creatively. Content warning for a plague, in case you've had enough of that in real life.
Rating: My games are generally PG-13. Swearing and extended fantasy violence is fine, though it should not be excessive. Sexual content should be left to a minimum/fade-to-black or left out.
Experience: All levels welcome, including beginners!
Posting Frequency: 1 per day (This includes weekends.)
# of Players: 3-4 per game
Starting Level: 1
Duration: I'm estimating for this to take at least 10 weeks (roughly through the end of February), with daily posting (including weekends).

Quick note about me: I keep up a pretty brisk pace of incrementally advancing the story once (roughly) every 24 hours, both to keep a good pace and because I like to make sure my players always have something new to react to every day. However, I'm not strict on attendance - you won't be kicked out of the game for missing days, but, fair warning that things may move along a bit without you if 24 hours pass without a post (I'll resolve any mandatory rolls, but otherwise it counts as inaction).
Dungeons & Dragons 5e, Player-Character List

KoldikSteelskin: Thyver Bolud the Variant-Human Paladin
mattchee: Ander Fafnir the Human Barbarian
GreyWord: Beartear the Beasthide-Shifter Cleric
Player 4: (optional)
13th Age, Player-Character List: Full Up!

Falconloft: ?
runekyndig: Kaldara the High Elf Swordmage
LegionChimera7: Magnificent Magnolia the Half-Elf Wizard
the_puppeteer: Phoenix the Human Druid
Dungeon World, Player-Character List

Jabes.plays.RPG: Bonepipe the Elf Immolator (?)
aquafina: Teorethefethyrio "Teo" Serinthyial the Elf Druid
Chalrytharendir: Mance Pyro the Human Bard
Player 4: (optional)
Please POST HERE if you are interested, rather than PM! I'll need at least 3 dedicated players to get started, and I can start us up pretty quickly if interest is high. Give me a quick summary of what kind of character you would like to play (race/class and personality) as well as what connects them to the setting/premise (specifically: why do they have an investment in getting the medicine back to Nohme?)
Last edited December 20, 2021 5:41 am

Thyver Bolud

KoldikSteelskin

Dec 16, 2021 5:50 pm
Thyver Bolud
"Thyver, follower of __ God of Ice and Snow, honorary Member of the Nohme Guard." Thyver extends his hand before thing better of it, "Don't need to risk contamination all we need is a cure."

Thyver has lived many winters in the cold and harsh climate and he's traveled from Village to village helping people when needed many villages consider him an honorary member of their Militia because of what he's done for them, when Thyver heard what was happening in his hometown he panicked heading straight to Nhome however he forgot one Important thing as he headed there a Cure.

Thyver is a Human, probably Variant Human Paladin who is looking to prove himself and maybe this is the mission that will let him do just that.
[ +- ] Image
Last edited December 16, 2021 5:51 pm
Dec 16, 2021 5:51 pm
I'm going around with the idea of an artificer who actually wanted to be a paladin, but he didn't make the cut.
That being said I'll gladly step aside for someone else with fewer active games than me
Dec 16, 2021 7:15 pm
Hey! We talked on discord thanks for being willing to pull up a new guy, if you'll have me.

I was thinking of playing as a human barbarian - I don't think I want to mess about with magic or anything too complicated my first time out.

I'm thinking the story/connection to the premise would be that he's a hired sword (axe?) who's latest quarry had lead me to this frosty town of Nohme. Quite liking the the amenities of the port town, he'd decided to set up here for a bit after his job was done, perhaps made some casual friends. A couple of those friends had fallen victim to the Frigid Woe, and he watched helplessly as they slowly turn to ice. Thinking he'd had enough of this frozen climate (his friends were literally turning into ice!), he thought maybe it was time to move on to warmer climates. Only now, it was too late. Nohme was quarantined, and he was not permitted to leave! When he heard there was a team setting off to locate the cure he jumped at the chance to join up - after all, he was not one to sit around idle and let himself freeze along with the others, and finding this cure might be the only way he'd be able to finally leave Nohme.
Dec 16, 2021 8:38 pm
If the game will be at least half as exiting and the recruitment post I just can't allow to miss it :). No seriously, an impressive intro!

Now as for character - please let me know if there is any issues with following character as I believe there could be many. I will gladly work on a different idea. I love developing characters

So first issue - I chose Eberron race : Shifter-Beasthide.
He came from settlements to the south in a diplomatic mission to the town of Nohme. His nation want to for an alliance agains kingdoms to south planning to conquer them. The negotiations were in progress when events ten days ago put them on hold. What makes things even worse - his shifter nature have raised a lot of rumours.... people want to blame someone for the curse. A half-beast who just came from distant is a perfect target, isn't it?
So Beartear (his name) commit to the mission not because he is too good to want save nation and not to prove himself. He just want job done, want to be away from "which hunt" and want to get home with a treaty as son as possible.
Note: His divine power comes from gods worshiped by his nation and barely known in Nohme.

P.S. PC is based on Latvian national epic. The poem brings the name of the hero (The bear slayer) and is very well known in Latvia - my homeland. I would imagine the diplomatic mission happens as one of his first heroic undertakings in the life (after slaying a bear with his bare hands).
Dec 17, 2021 1:55 am
KoldikSteelskin says:
"Thyver, follower of __ God of Ice and Snow, honorary Member of the Nohme Guard."
Awesome! That looks good! If you want a canonical god from this area, Kord, the Stormlord, is the storm god and the lord of battle and warfare - is probably the closest (though not quite the same). However, if you would like a God of Ice and Snow in particular, that's fine as well, just give me a brief description of their following (who worships them, what do they do, what alignment are they typically).
runekyndig says:
I'm going around with the idea of an artificer who actually wanted to be a paladin, but he didn't make the cut.
That being said I'll gladly step aside for someone else with fewer active games than me
Well you're one of the first if you'd like the spot! A failed-Paladin Artificer sounds really interesting! Do you have an idea of what god he tried to win the blessing of? And do you know their race and have an idea of what connection they would have to Nohme?
mattchee says:
Hey! We talked on discord thanks for being willing to pull up a new guy, if you'll have me.
I was thinking of playing as a human barbarian - I don't think I want to mess about with magic or anything too complicated my first time out.
I'm thinking the story/connection to the premise would be that he's a hired sword (axe?) who's latest quarry had lead me to this frosty town of Nohme.
I'm happy to have you! A human barbarian is a good straightforward choice for getting started, and I like his connection - I feel like I get a bit of his personality just from how you described the events. If you have any questions about getting set up, feel free to ask!
GreyWord says:
If the game will be at least half as exiting and the recruitment post I just can't allow to miss it :). No seriously, an impressive intro!
Thanks! I really like your character idea! Beasthide-Shifter is fine - and from the gods comment, I would assume he's either a Cleric or Paladin (though I suppose Warlock is possible too)? I think the diplomatic mission angle is very interesting and can bring another layer to the urgency & suspicious locals are bound to be suspicious.
OOC:
I've invited you all to the game, which just has some OOC stuff up right now. I don't mind if you Roll for stats or use Point Buy/Standard Array, however equipment/items beyond the Starting Equipment will need to be run by me first (no magic items, please)! Some terrain-specific equipment will be provided by the town for your journey, so you won't have to worry too much about that.

Len

Dec 17, 2021 2:05 am
Just wanted to wish you good luck on this adventure. Sounds like a lot of fun! I really enjoyed the Wildemount book and I am glad to see it getting some play here on GP :)
Dec 17, 2021 7:21 am
I'm declining the invitation for the 5e game. As we talked about on discord, I would rather join the 13th Age version of this game
Dec 17, 2021 8:24 am
runekyndig says:
I'm declining the invitation for the 5e game. As we talked about on discord, I would rather join the 13th Age version of this game
No worries, I've adjusted this listing to represent this new idea, and added you to the 13A list.

That being said, for everyone else, this is now open to 13A and DW groups as well! I'm new to both systems, so no experience is required if you want to give it a try.

And 5e can take 1 more player (optionally).
Dec 17, 2021 8:42 am
Data says:
runekyndig says:
No worries, I've adjusted this listing to represent this new idea, and added you to the 13A list.

That being said, for everyone else, this is now open to 13A and DW groups as well! I'm new to both systems, so no experience is required if you want to give it a try.

And 5e can take 1 more player (optionally).
Awesome! When I get some time tonight, I will try and make a high elf Swordmage as that is my initial throught
Dec 17, 2021 9:11 am
Out of curiosity, is there another slot open for the 13th Age game?
Dec 17, 2021 9:40 am
I'd like to play in the 13th age game, too, if there is room. The character I am thinking of is a human druid who has been assigned to protect the coastline and surrounding areas near Nohme. Normally a docile, nurturing person, but quickly assumes the role of protector when anything he has sworn to protect is threatened. Not only does this affliction threaten part of the community that he is sworn to protect, but it is also an affront to the natural order that must be eradicated.
Last edited December 17, 2021 12:28 pm
Dec 17, 2021 9:58 am
I was originally considering my char a paladin, but.... Peace domain cleric would be even more appropriate, thanks for idea. Besides we have a paladin in the party already. I could adjust so that it's deity is Avandra as I believe i must be worshiped in Nohme, to make my PC diplomatic mission more divine.
Dec 17, 2021 10:00 am
LegionChimera7 says:
Out of curiosity, is there another slot open for the 13th Age game?
the_puppeteer says:
I'd like to play in the 13th age game, too, if there is room. I'll need a little while to put together a character concept but thought I'd go ahead and express my interest. I'll edit this post to include a little bit about the character I'd like to play later this morning.
Yep! 2 slots open, and it looks like I got two more interested parties! Awesome! I'll invite you both to the game, you can write up your character concept here or in the game forum (under OOC Intro) if you prefer!
Dec 17, 2021 10:09 am
GreyWord says:
I was originally considering my char a paladin, but.... Peace domain cleric would be even more appropriate, thanks for idea. Besides we have a paladin in the party already. I could adjust so that it's deity is Avandra as I believe i must be worshiped in Nohme, to make my PC diplomatic mission more divine.
No worries! I don't mind two Paladins, but I do think Clerics are great as well.
You don't need to adjust if you don't want to - getting power from a god barely known in Nohme makes the "strange outsider" element feel more prominent. Since Beartear is on a diplomatic mission from a southern county, it still makes sense for him to worship a different sort of god, but I'm happy to accept Avandra as his deity if you feel it fits!
Dec 17, 2021 12:40 pm
Quote:
this is now open to 13A and DW groups as well! 
Well now I'm tempted to join the DW group!
Dec 17, 2021 1:41 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Quote:
this is now open to 13A and DW groups as well! 
Well now I'm tempted to join the DW group!
Do it!! I'm really excited to give it a try! I've got enough for 5E and 13A now, but DW is totally open!
Dec 17, 2021 3:04 pm
Hey Data! I would be interested in playing in the DW version of this game, as long as absolute newcomers are welcome as well (I have no experience with DW besides me reading through some of the SRD this morning lol)

I am still unsure of the race/class combo I would like to play as I am still reading through the SRD entries, but will likely play someone from Nohme or the wilderness that surrounds it with an elf Druid or ranger, or a human Wizard, depending on what other players choose. :)
Dec 17, 2021 3:34 pm
aquafina says:
Hey Data! I would be interested in playing in the DW version of this game, as long as absolute newcomers are welcome as well (I have no experience with DW besides me reading through some of the SRD this morning lol)
You have the exact same experience level as me, so we’re good! Glad to have you onboard!
Dec 17, 2021 11:04 pm
I'm interested in the DW version! I have an idea for a bard. I'll post the character concept later today.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.