[closed] DnD 5e - A deep and creeping darkness

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedDungeons & Dragons 5thPrivate1 / dayAdam

Candlekeep Mysteries is a collection of seventeen short, stand-alone D&D adventures designed for characters of levels 1-16. Each adventure begins with the discovery of a book, and each book is the key to a door behind which danger and glory await.

Elfis

Adam

Jan 7, 2022 4:54 pm
Candlekeep Mysteries - Chapter 4

* This is a drop-in-for-a-chapter-drop-out game and not a campaign.

* Although this is chapter four from the WoTC Candlekeep Mysteries book, these are episodic one-shots you don't need to know anything about previous chapters.

*You'll be starting at level 4.

* The first two chapters each took about 30 days to complete, so I'd imagine this would take about a month too but that'll depend on posting rates.
You are a member of The Marginalia, a group of adventurers loosely connected to Candlekeep. The scholars find it handy to keep adventuring types on hand because although the pen is undoubtedly mightier than the sword, it doesn't deal 1d8 slashing damage.

Your patron, and head of The Marginalia, is an undead elf and scholar of popular bardic melodies. He probably had some horribly unpronounceable elvish name in his previous life, one with far too many vowels - now everyone calls him 'Elfis' on account of his ridiculous quiff.

In return for helping out the Avowed scholars, they can usually accommodate you in The House of Rest; also, being a Marginalia member is generally good for a few pints in The Hearth.
As a DM:

* I'm fairly rules-light (lazy);
* I'm happy to suspend rules-as-written to move the story along;
* I generally don't include slices-of-life, inter-character conflict, or romance;
* My games don't take themselves too seriously;
* PG-13.

If you're looking for an emotional and poignant game or a tactical RAW DnD experience, then you really wouldn't enjoy my games.

I run casual 5e games that might get a bit silly sometimes. They're like bad action movies that are full of plot holes and clichéd characters.
* I'll prioritize new players.
* Posting once per day(ish).
* No experience with D&D 5e is needed, and help will be given to new players.

Elfis
Last edited January 10, 2022 8:26 am
Jan 7, 2022 5:10 pm
I'm interested. I have no experience with 5e, or anything else really, but I can handle posting once a day.
Jan 7, 2022 5:14 pm
rujasu says:
I'm interested. I have no experience with 5e, or anything else really, but I can handle posting once a day.
I see from your profile that you're not in any games so that puts you straight into the game.

Could I ask you to upload something, anything, as your avatar? It's just a little easier to distinguish between players when they use avatars.

You can upload an image in settings.
Jan 7, 2022 5:16 pm
I happen to love darknesses, both deep and creeping! I’d like to apply, as I’m always making new characters and 5e is probably the system I know best.

(@rujasu, I think you’ll find it a decent middle ground between freeform rules-lite stuff and crunchy simulationist stuff—it’s also the system you’re most likely to find folks playing in non-specific RPG communities, so it’s good to have a handle on!)
Jan 7, 2022 5:19 pm
Looks like a great game adam, as always I'm in enough games that you can give my spot to someone else but I'd be happy to join.
Jan 7, 2022 5:21 pm
akorn says:
I happen to love darknesses, both deep and creeping! I’d like to apply, as I’m always making new characters and 5e is probably the system I know best.
Heh. I can see you're in Data's DW game. You're probably good for a slot, but I'm going to wait a day to see if anyone else without a game gazumps you.
KoldikSteelskin says:
Looks like a great game adam, as always I'm in enough games that you can give my spot to someone else but I'd be happy to join.
Cheers KS! If there are spaces left tomorrow then I'll give you a shout.
Jan 7, 2022 5:22 pm
Totally reasonable! Would definitely prefer folks with not much to do just yet to grab a slot, but if I’m near the top of that list I’ll of course be happy too!
Jan 7, 2022 5:28 pm
Adam says:
rujasu says:
I see from your profile that you're not in any games so that puts you straight into the game.

Could I ask you to upload something, anything, as your avatar? It's just a little easier to distinguish between players when they use avatars.

You can upload an image in settings.
Thanks! I'll try and find something for an avatar tonight.
Jan 7, 2022 5:45 pm
If you need rule support and have room, I'll join

I have i viking paladin concept that I want to explore
Jan 7, 2022 5:46 pm
Adam says:
Candlekeep Mysteries - Chapter 4

As a DM:

* I'm fairly rules-light (lazy);
* I'm happy to suspend rules-as-written to move the story along;
* I generally don't include slices-of-life, inter-character conflict, or romance;
* My games don't take themselves too seriously;
* PG-13.

If you're looking for an emotional and poignant game or a tactical RAW DnD experience, then you really wouldn't enjoy my games.

I run casual 5e games that might get a bit silly sometimes. They're like bad action movies that are full of plot holes and clichéd characters.
Who is this DM you speak of?
Jan 7, 2022 5:49 pm
CherokeeWind says:
The one who lets this players fly a walrus

Gaming Horror Stories

Adam

Jan 7, 2022 6:10 pm
CherokeeWind says:
@CherokeeWind - It might shock you to learn that some players REALLY hate my games.
[ +- ] You want bad reviews? I wrote the book on them.
You gotta laugh though, right? Unless you're one of the players subjected to my "sense of in-game humor", that is.
runekyndig says:
The one who lets this players fly a walrus
Je ne regrette rien

Gaming Horror Stories
Last edited January 7, 2022 6:23 pm
Jan 7, 2022 6:15 pm
Man, this sounds like so much fun! And I happen to be a fan of your DMing style. I'm glad you're looking for newbies because otherwise I'd be bugging you for a slot!
Jan 7, 2022 6:53 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Man, this sounds like so much fun! And I happen to be a fan of your DMing style.
Thanks. I'm not fishing for compliments, buddy.

Different players enjoy different styles of DMing. I'm trying to be upfront about the fact that I'm not crunchy - I'm squishy?
Jan 7, 2022 6:53 pm
I, for one, enjoy your humor, Adam. Always gives me a chuckle. Actually your whole demeanor reminds me so much of a British friend I have, I'm not convinced you're not actually him.
Jan 7, 2022 6:57 pm
NABO says:
I, for one, enjoy your humor, Adam. Always gives me a chuckle. Actually your whole demeanor reminds me so much of a British friend I have, I'm not convinced you're not actually him.
and I have a friend named Adam computer genius who claims not to play D&D I think your him...
Jan 7, 2022 8:05 pm
Well, let me set tthe record straight that I think @adam is the bee's knees when it comes to GMs but I'm not believing for one minute he isn't an ol softie at heart.

After more than one post of dreamy longingly gazes toward a certain dashing paladin, does that GM quash such dribble? No! He gives said knight a billowing cape and an enchantment to keep his armor shiny!

No romance? Pfft!
Jan 8, 2022 4:45 pm
That's been a day. @akorn, @KoldikSteelskin I'll invite you.

@runekyndig do you still want an invite? I know you're an active poster, but running your new vignette should take priority.
Jan 8, 2022 5:47 pm
Adam says:
@runekyndig do you still want an invite? I know you're an active poster, but running your new vignette should take priority.
Yes please ☺️
Jan 8, 2022 5:51 pm
And that's chapter 4 filled. Chapter 5 will be open for applications in about a month.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.