ALIEN: Hope's Last Day (CLOSED)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 20, 2022 11:25 pm
https://i.imgur.com/psJ32td.jpg

Welcome to Hadley's Hope, a "shake and bake" colony on LV-426 where anything that can go wrong does go wrong. It was supposed to be a simple terraforming operation for Weyland-Yutani, but something else, something sinister, is going on behind the scenes.

Hope's Last Day is a cinematic (one-shot) scenario which takes place prior to the events of ALIENS. It's meant to serve as an introduction to the ALIEN RPG and uses the Year Zero Engine from Free League. Those of you who have played Tales from the Loop or Things from the Flood should have some idea of what to expect with respect to the game system. If needed I will of course explain the rules while playing.

The cinematic will involve the use of five pregenerated characters which include the following:

Janice Macwhirr (Officer)
Morgan Hirsch (ex-Marine)
Hannah Singleton (Pilot)
Sonny Sig (Scientist)
Holroyd (Roughneck)

I would prefer that there be only up to 4 players in order to have an extra character immediately available in case of death (in-game). Much like Call of Cthulu, ARPG is a game of disempowerment in which PCs are most likely subjected to a terrible fate determined by both the needs of the narrative as well as dice rolls.

Regarding how long this game will last, a live session generally takes about two to three hours to complete. Post frequency would be 5 times a week (negotiable).

Given the stressful setting, some conflict between characters is expected for roleplaying purposes. It should go without saying, however, that players ought to treat each other (as players) with respect no matter their identity. Finally, I will say that I don't have a great deal of experience playing RPGs or PBP in general. As a new GM it's my hope to play alongside people who are 1) patient and 2) can help tell a good story along the way.
Last edited January 21, 2022 3:45 pm
Jan 21, 2022 2:42 am
I've been toying with running Vaesen, but I otherwise have no experience with the Year Zero Engine. However, if that's not a deal-breaker for you, I'd love to try out Alien.
Last edited January 21, 2022 2:43 am
Jan 21, 2022 8:15 am
I have no experience with Year Zero but would like to play as Hannah Singleton.
Jan 21, 2022 9:32 am
hannabarbera says:
I have no experience with Year Zero but would like to play as Hannah Singleton.
I sent you an invite. Don't worry about the rules. I'll have a rules cheat sheet prepared and we'll learn as a group as we go. You should be able to see Hannah's stats as well as agenda once you enter the forums.

Welcome aboard!
Last edited January 21, 2022 12:39 pm
Jan 21, 2022 9:33 am
SavageBob says:
I've been toying with running Vaesen, but I otherwise have no experience with the Year Zero Engine. However, if that's not a deal-breaker for you, I'd love to try out Alien.
It's not a deal breaker at all! What character would you be interested in playing as?
Jan 21, 2022 2:04 pm
I've played Loop and Flood and would like to give it a shot if you'll have me.
Jan 21, 2022 2:16 pm
Windyridge says:
Welcome aboard! Just let me know which character you wish to play as.
Last edited January 21, 2022 2:20 pm
Jan 21, 2022 2:40 pm
I'll grab Sonny Sigg, if that's OK. :)
Jan 21, 2022 2:42 pm
SavageBob says:
I'll grab Sonny Sigg, if that's OK. :)
Awesome! You should be able to see your character's stats in the Character Information thread.
Jan 21, 2022 2:53 pm
Surrealist38 says:
Windyridge says:
Welcome aboard! Just let me know which character you wish to play as.
Thank you! I'll go with Janice.
Jan 21, 2022 3:37 pm
I’ve been interested in paying The Aliens RPG after listening to a few actual play podcasts running the system. I think the stress mechanic is amazing. That being said, I’ve never actually played it and I’m not super familiar with the Alien universe (I’ve only seen the first three movies)

If none of those aren’t insurmountable problems and there is a spot open I’d be interested in throwing my hat into the ring.
Last edited January 21, 2022 3:41 pm
Jan 21, 2022 3:44 pm
RogertheShrubber says:
I’ve been interested in paying The Aliens RPG after listening to a few actual play podcasts running the system. I think the stress mechanic is amazing. That being said, I’ve never actually played it and I’m not super familiar with the Alien universe (I’ve only seen the first three movies)

If none of those aren’t insurmountable problems and there is a spot open I’d be interested in throwing my hat into the ring.
I've added you. Welcome aboard! Let me know which character you want to play as. The available ones will be listed in the Character Information thread.
Last edited January 21, 2022 3:47 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.