Games in other languages

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 8, 2022 6:28 pm
Hi there!

So I was wondering... is it allowed to host games in languages other than English?

I am not a native English speaker, and I am very happy I can use GP both to have fun in PbP games but also to practice my English.

So I thought that this could also be the case for other native English speakers who would like to practice their second language.

As an example, I feel comfortable with my level of English as a player, but I would have serious doubts about GMing. But I could GM in my native language (Spanish) and help any possible interested players.

Just thinking out loud. If there's s rule that GP is for English games only, then forget about this. :-)

Thanks!
Feb 8, 2022 6:29 pm
I'm pretty sure I've seen games in (what could be) Italian and (possibly) French on here, so I don't think it's a rule.
Feb 8, 2022 6:36 pm
Solamente puedo leer en español—no puedo escribir en esta idioma demasiado bien—pero gustaría aprender a conjugar verbos, jaja
Feb 8, 2022 6:38 pm
Oh, good to know, thanks for the prompt reply, Adam!

akorn, yo creo que escribes bastante bien. ;-)
Feb 8, 2022 6:44 pm
¡Gracias, gnomius! Voy a practicar, en caso (not sure if that idiom translates lol)
Feb 8, 2022 6:49 pm
Almost...
Just in case = por si acaso
Feb 8, 2022 7:37 pm
Oooh, that's an interesting idea to use a game as a practice polygon!
Hey, if anyone wants to practice Russian, you know who to call! :D
Last edited February 8, 2022 7:54 pm
Feb 8, 2022 7:53 pm
Nice! Я немного говорю по-русски... although probably not enough for a game.
Feb 8, 2022 7:58 pm
Это уже зависит от игры! Если играть иностранца, так вполне подойдёт. :P
Also, Spanish, English and Russian? That's impressive! Do you know any other languages?
Feb 8, 2022 8:04 pm
Хехехе, ладно, поживём-увидим. ;-)

Yeah, you could add Catalan to the list, but that's not a big thing. Catalan and Spanish are both mother tongues for me.
Feb 8, 2022 8:21 pm
I'd still be very interested in joining a game in Swedish or Polish, though I'd probably be a horrible player in those due to limited language capabilities.

But yes, games in other languages are very much allowed. I was part of a German language game at some point but it died in character creation, unfortunately.
Feb 8, 2022 8:26 pm
gnomius says:
Yeah, you could add Catalan to the list, but that's not a big thing. Catalan and Spanish are both mother tongues for me.
Still, extra impressive!

Also, if you do run a game in Spanish, would you allow an observer? I tried learning Spanish a while back but got distracted very quickly - so I don't know enough to play it (unless you use my own argument earlier), but I'd love to do some reading. :D
Feb 8, 2022 8:36 pm
gnomius says:
FlyingSucculent says:
Do you know any other languages?
well I know the other major one from around there no one cares about :D (ahah guess which).
I did join one of @kalajel 's that was bilingual since it was in Quebec because I wanted practice some french (but its soooo hard to keep up with natives).
there were some other offers for french at the time , ot sure how that looks like now.
Feb 8, 2022 8:50 pm
CESN says:
well I know the other major one from around there no one cares about :D (ahah guess which).
Basque?! /s
Last edited February 8, 2022 8:50 pm
Feb 8, 2022 10:15 pm
Quote:
Hehe, yep, well, French and Catalan are close cousins. :)
Quote:
Also, if you do run a game in Spanish, would you allow an observer? I tried learning Spanish a while back but got distracted very quickly - so I don't know enough to play it (unless you use my own argument earlier), but I'd love to do some reading. :D
Sure thing! If I finally decide to throw my hat into the ring, I wouldn't mind accepting observers, of course.
Feb 8, 2022 10:22 pm
Currently learning Spanish, so observing a Spanish game would be interesting for me too. I've even heard of an originally Spanish game in a medieval gritty fantasy setting that's supposed to be good: "Aquellare"

I can also play in German
Feb 8, 2022 11:34 pm
For the official answer: you can host games in any language you want, as long as it's up front in the game description. Posts in the public forums should be English for accessibility to all.
Feb 9, 2022 12:01 am
I'm in university and taking Spanish there. Might not be super adept but I could try if you'd like to run dnd 5e or something
Feb 9, 2022 11:46 am
Keleth says:
For the official answer: you can host games in any language you want, as long as it's up front in the game description. Posts in the public forums should be English for accessibility to all.
Understood, thanks!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.