Ask Me Anything: Squadfather44

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Squadfather44

bowlofspinach

Feb 16, 2022 11:54 pm
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:

Name: Squadfather44 or Squad
Pronouns: He/him
From: USA (Born and raised in Virginia, but I currently live in North Carolina.
RPG Interests: D&D (it's what I first cut my teeth on), Warhammer, Pendragon, Pathfinder, Old school WoD, Rifts, Star Trek Adventures, Witcher (as well as a long list of other games. I'm always up for learning a new system.
Non-RPG Interests: Camping & Hiking, RoleplayingGames (obviously), Cooking, Movies (all kinds), VideoGames.

This AMA will run until 23 February 2022.
Squadfather44
Feb 17, 2022 12:32 am
lol, when I read Born and raised in Virginia, but I currently live,
my fevered mind automatically added on Barsoom

1. with a name like Squadfather, I expect you have numerous kids? How many make your Squad? (not 44 I hope!)

2. I notice in your profile you have not ran any games yet. Will you take the leap to GMing, one day? (or have you already, IRL?)

3. Do you tell campfire ghost stories when camping? (and can we have one)
Feb 17, 2022 1:35 am
1. I have a 23 year old step-daughter, an 18 year old daughter, and a 15 year old son. Squadfather is combination of being a father and a squad leader while I was in the military.

2. I do want to take the leap to running a few games. I actually have a few ideas, but it's taking the actual leap and becoming a DM here on the site. I have ran games IRL though.

3. Oh...I know my fair share of ghost stories, but there to long to tell on here.
Feb 17, 2022 2:08 am
Squadfather44 says:
1. I have a 23 year old step-daughter, an 18 year old daughter, and a 15 year old son. Squadfather is combination of being a father and a squad leader while I was in the military.
Did you find yourself as the "dad" figure in your squad? Since switching jobs, I've found myself with a group of guys, some of whom are 15 years my junior. They've begun referring to me as "Uncle Ezz" and "Old Man Ezz" (except sub in my real name).
Last edited February 17, 2022 2:08 am
Feb 17, 2022 2:25 am
At times it felt like I was the father figure to them all. At times it was great, at times it felt like I was trying to herd a room full of cats...lol
Feb 17, 2022 3:24 am
Squadfather44 says:
At times it felt like I was the father figure to them all. At times it was great, at times it felt like I was trying to herd a room full of cats...lol
Yeah, that fits my experience. There's always one or two of them that just can't run their lives and I get to munch on popcorn while they explain why they're living with their ex and their ex's new boyfriend.
Feb 17, 2022 3:36 am
Ezz. says:
Squadfather44 says:
Yeah, that fits my experience. There's always one or two of them that just can't run their lives and I get to munch on popcorn while they explain why they're living with their ex and their ex's new boyfriend.
Yep, watched that movie and the sequel.
Feb 17, 2022 3:58 am
What's a movie that you like that most people don't enjoy?
Feb 17, 2022 4:28 am
That's a good question. I like a lot of different movies, but it seems that there's always someone that likes them.

I do have a weakness for cheesy Sci-Fi and Horror movies. The worse it is, the more I'll watch it. I remember one particular bad one...Transylvania Twist..lol
Feb 17, 2022 7:46 am
Squadfather44 says:
wow... Up this day I have always read your name as squarefather44

What kind of stories do you prefer when playing RPG. (I'm thinking horror, heroic fantasy, tragic romances, investigations etc...)
Feb 17, 2022 8:02 am
Have you ever thought of combining a hike with an RPG session? Hit a scenic location, get in the mood and bust out the dice during the picnic break?
Feb 17, 2022 8:14 am
@runekyndig- I like all kinds of stories, high fantasy, horror, investigation, romance, exploration, and epic fights.

@Dark_RaideR- Actually way back when I was playing old school WoD, a couple friends and I did some live roleplaying with Werewolf the Apocalypse.
Feb 17, 2022 9:14 am
How did you find GP and what was the first (successful) game you played in on here?
Feb 17, 2022 9:57 am
bowlofspinach says:
How did you find GP and what was the first (successful) game you played in on here?
I was searching for online rpg sites. The shirtist listed this in the top spot. The rest is history.

I've been in a couple "successful games", but the one that really sticks out in my mind is the Smallville one we were in. I can still toss out a couple dozen ideas for that easily.
Feb 17, 2022 12:33 pm
You listed both movies and video games as interests...

Movie tie-in video games are usually pretty bad. Are there any that you enjoy or that you think hold up?
Feb 17, 2022 9:28 pm
I love the Uncharted video game series. I'm hoping the movie that's out, based on the games, will do it justice. I also like the Witcher video game series. After 2 seasons on Netflix, I'm glad to see that the series is still doing right by the book and games.
Feb 18, 2022 11:27 am
At what age did fatherhood knock on your door?

Roleplay or combat?

Any favorite indy RPG or one that have caught your eye?
Feb 18, 2022 12:42 pm
Antiproduct says:

Roleplay or combat?
I know what you meant, but now I wonder if he prefers more roleplay or combat in his fatherhood.
Feb 18, 2022 4:57 pm
Since I'm a European to whom most of the US is just the same, how would you describe the difference between Virginia and North Carolina?
Feb 18, 2022 5:30 pm
Ezz. says:
Antiproduct says:

Roleplay or combat?
I know what you meant, but now I wonder if he prefers more roleplay or combat in his fatherhood.
Fatherhood so far I'd say it's a fun times worrying loving warfare.
Yeap, that sums it up for me.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.