Has anyone played One Ring 2e?

Mar 10, 2022 2:12 am
The game look beautiful but I've only seen a few reviews and actual play sessions. I know the hardcopy hasn't hit stores yet but the digital copy of the core ruleset has been available since the beginning of the year. Has anyone here been able to get it to the table?
Mar 10, 2022 10:01 am
I kickstarted it and have gotten the physical copy of that and the starter game, but sadly hasn't had the time to digest it, much less get it to the table yet. Mostly bought it for the lore as my wife is a huuuge LoTR fan, so she has gotten more use from it so far than me even though she's not a roleplayer.
Mar 10, 2022 5:45 pm
I got the starter set and the core rulebook. It looks amazing. I haven't had a chance to go through it, but it's next on my list. I nabbed a bunch of 1e pdfs before they went out of print. My plan is to run a game at some point this year. I'll probably go through the starter and/or book adventures first.
Mar 10, 2022 8:43 pm
I run a game of The One Ring 2e here on GP at the moment.
The skill system is nice and easy and feels very thematic. You roll 1d12 plus a number of d6s equal to the character's skill level versus a target number for each attribute Strength, Heart, and wits.
Our game have shown, it can be hard for starting characters to beat the target number.

The game has rules for 'councils' encounters with important NPC and for journeys. The latter helps create a narrative for journeys and makes them become a relevant part of the game. This is also very thematic and feels true to the source material.
Combat lents itself well to pop as there are no initiative order. All players go simultaneously, then the GM do the enemy actions.
Mar 11, 2022 6:58 pm
I think the mechanics with the 1d12+d6s is really interesting. It seems like a nice hybrid between the Year Zero System (i.e. roll a whole bunch of d6 and look for successes) and a system where you are trying to beat a DC. It also seems like a good system to run PbP. I do have a question about setting the target number for skill checks @Stefron. It seems like they are based/generated from character stats. So, for example, a Climb check would be the same whether the character is climbing a ladder or a cliff in the Misty Mountains. Does the GM have some ability to make skill checks easier/more difficult?

@furmyr The time frame 2e is set in is really interesting.
[ +- ] events
It seems like a rich time for adventuring.

@McButterPants OMG that was such a good idea to get PDFs of the 1e stuff for the lore and reference. I didn't even think of that.
Mar 11, 2022 10:48 pm
Yes. Target numbers are set from the beginning and stay the same for each test (which can be a good thing for pbp).
The skills are grouped in three categories corresponding to the attributes: Strength, Heart, and Wits.

So in the example of climbing Athletics belongs to Strength whereas Lore belongs to Wits.
The target number is 20 minus the attribute value, so if your Strength is 6 the target number is 14 for the attempt to climb.
Likewise, if Wits is 2 then all skills belonging to Wits get a TN of 18.

If the character got a skill value of say 2 in Athletic, the player rolls 1d12+2d6 and it is a success if the roll is more than 14.
(If 1 or more 6s are rolled it becomes an extraordinary success)

If the GM wants the wall to be particularly difficult to scale, there is the option of reducing the number of d6s rolled. For instance -1d6, so now the player only rolls 1d12+1d6 lowering the odds of succeeding.
Or if something make a test easier d6s are added to the roll.
Players have Hope which can be spend to get an extra do.

The system is easy to use and GMs doesn't have to come up with a TN for each test.
Mar 12, 2022 3:18 am
RogertheShrubber says:
@McButterPants OMG that was such a good idea to get PDFs of the 1e stuff for the lore and reference. I didn't even think of that.
Unfortunately, Cubicle 7 lost the license, so they can't sell them anymore. It's such a shame. I think Free League is going to produce a lot of the material for 2e, but it might be a while before it comes out.
Mar 12, 2022 8:50 am
RogertheShrubber says:
@furmyr The time frame 2e is set in is really interesting.
[ +- ] events
It seems like a rich time for adventuring.

Could be. I am not that well versed in the lore. I read the books in high school and seen the movies a few times, but it's my wife who rereads the books every couple of years (I will start rereading books when I've read all the new interesting books on my shelf). But I look forward to starting. One of my fears when running established settings is finding a place for the PCs without them being side characters. That and the fact that my players will inevitably know the setting way better than me.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.