Any photography fans? Looking new camera advice

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 7, 2022 1:18 pm
So I've loved photography for a long time, currently having an old Olympus E500. I'm looking to get back into photography (I have a trip to LA in about 7 weeks, would love a camera by then), but I am overwhelmed by choice. I don't really care about staying with Olympus. I'm hoping folks might be knowledgeable in helping me figure out where to go.

I did some research based on a reddit thread and some googling, and I came to the following decisions, based on the notion that 1) I'd like a general purpose camera, with my specific likes being nature, landscape, and macro photography, and 2) I'd like to keep starting kit (body, a lens or two, memory cards, etc) under $2k:

- Go mirrorless: From what I understand, mirrorless cameras are a bit more battery hungry, but generally focus better and are lighter. I'm sure there's more, I don't quite know it.

- Go for crop frame: As I'm trying to keep price low and I'm just getting back into things, crop frame will keep the price lower.

- Go for full frame lenses: If/when I do upgrade, I won't need to upgrade my lenses

- Finally, more a personal decision, Canon: This is where I'm struggling the most, because it seems like between the big players, they're all good choices. Nikon and Canon still seem to be the most popular, but that may be brand recognition as much as anything else. I've heard great things about Fuji, Nikon, and Canon, and this was kind of a flip of a coin decision.

So with all that in mind, I'm currently looking at the Canon EOS RP. I know it's full frame, which goes against point two, but with a low price, it seems to be a good choice? Someone on reddit said it wouldn't be good for motion? With all I've said, I welcome any other suggestions. The Fujifilm X-T30 was mentioned by a coworker, and Nikon come up a few times. Anyway, I'm just overwhelmed by choice, and with the decisions above, I hope I can make a decision soon.
May 7, 2022 7:50 am
Take a hard look at the Fuji XT4 and the kit lens. (18-55 OIS) If you watch, Fuji often drops the prices by a few hundred once or twice a year.
The Image Stabilization of the lens combined with the camera almost makes it so you don't need a tripod. It can shoot 4K video.
I run a FujiXT3, have a spare battery in the bag. Not a big deal for me so far. If you go with the XT3 that should keep you below the 2K limit.

If you have large hands, the Xt30ii might feel a bit awkward. But that could also be another option.
If you don't want the old-school knobs and dials out and visible, the XS10 might be an option for you too.
Do a search on Fuji Film simulation recipes. That might be something you'll at least want to know about and not regret missing out on if you decide not to do Fuji.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.