[CLOSED] Call of Catthulhu (PbtA-lite)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 19, 2022 5:26 pm
Do you like cats? Do you like Lovecraftian horror? Do you want to play both at the same time? Well, if you are one of the select few that fits in that Venn diagram, the I may have just the game for you: Call of Catthulhu! Using setting material from the Cats of Catthulhu rpg and rules hacked from World of Dungeons: Turbo, I intend to run a one-shot adventure that will pit (mostly) ordinary cats against forces of cosmic horror. I can't promise that it will be funny, but it will certainly be absurd.

Need a little more information? Of course you do. You're an investigator at heart, right? So read on...

https://i.imgur.com/am3nnw0m.png

"Welcome to the real world... the world in which human civilization exists for the comfort of cats, in which incredibly ancient and powerful spirits vie for control of reality, in which only brave and clever felines have the wit and wherewithal to oppose grim and mystic cabals, and in which two-footed people live in blissful ignorance of all of these facts." - excerpt from the Nekonomicon by Joel Sparks

Rules: My own hack of World of Dungeons: Turbo, which itself is a very rules-light Powered-by-the-Apocalypse hack. If you aren't familiar with WoD:T, or even with PbtA, don't worry. The entire rules system takes up slightly more than a page, and it's all going to be in the game forums for reference. If you can make about a half-dozen choices to fill in your character sheet, and if you can roll 2d6 and do some addition, then you'll be fine. Oh, you also have to be able to act like a cat.

Characters: The cats in Call of Catthulhu are mostly ordinary cats - no thumbs, no human-talk, nothing that special at all, except that they are cats, which means they are the center of the universe. And they also understand that cosmic horror is real, and not just some fairy tale like the dim-witted (but useful) humans think. Cat characters are simple - defined by four traits, a talent, and some obvious identifiers (breed, indoor or outdoor cat, etc).

Adult content/themes: Cosmic horror isn't always pretty. I don't intend for this to be an R-rated horror game - more PG-13. And I certainly don't intend for there to be any *ahem* mature cat-related activity.

Post Frequency and Game Duration: I'm going to say 4-posts/week. That's not quite every weekday, so there shouldn't be too much pressure. I want the post rate to be relaxed but still keep things moving. I intend for this to be a one-shot, not an ongoing campaign. I don't have a good feel for how long it will take as a play-by-post game, but it's a pretty straightforward adventure, so it shouldn't be too long as these things go.

Player Experience Requirements: You don't need to be familiar with the rules at all for this game. I do, however, expect a reasonable level of experience with cats. ;)

Inclusivity: Everyone is welcome in this game, just as all cats are welcome in this game world. I run my games as inclusive as I can (acknowledging that I'm and old white guy, and I can only do the best that I can), and I expect all my players to treat each other with respect. We're all cats here, and that means we're all awesome and fabulous.

How to join: State your intention to join here in this thread. I don't really have any qualifications for players, so it will mostly be first-come, first-served. However, priority will be given to anyone that posted in my previous "Interest Check" thread. I tend to get nervous as a GM (or "Cat Herder", as I'll be in this game) if I have more than 5 players, so that's kind of the upper limit I'm hoping for. But if there are one or two more people that just REALLY seem to have a good cat vibe, I'm willing to bend that limit.

When do we start? I'll give this recruitment about a week, or until I get 5 players, whichever comes first. Caveat: I'll be on vacation the week of May 29th. I hope to get all the players into the game forums before then so folks can start chatting about characters, but the game won't seriously get underway until June 6th.

Meow.
Last edited June 3, 2022 2:10 am
May 19, 2022 5:35 pm
Interest. I love pbta but still new for pbp and ofcourse I love cat lol
May 19, 2022 5:49 pm
I swear, cats know something we don't!
May 19, 2022 8:47 pm
I would like to join. Not sure if I'm going as the chonker in my profile picture, but definitely going as a black cat.
May 20, 2022 12:38 am
>(°• ° )<)))__/
As mentioned before, I'm happy to cat.
May 20, 2022 2:49 am
I just joined gamersplane yesterday, my first choice for a game to try was CoC. Following the newbie guide, I made an intro post and tonight I did the next step, look for a game. This is the first CoC game I see and the 15 yr old black cat sitting in my lap looked up and said "yesssss".
I do as master directs. :)
May 20, 2022 7:49 pm
Grimlaf says:
I just joined gamersplane yesterday, my first choice for a game to try was CoC. Following the newbie guide, I made an intro post and tonight I did the next step, look for a game. This is the first CoC game I see and the 15 yr old black cat sitting in my lap looked up and said "yesssss".
I do as master directs. :)
Just wanted to point out it's not technically Call of Cthulhu system, but sounds like you might still be interested.
May 22, 2022 6:58 pm
First round of invites sent out. I encourage everyone who accepts to read what I've posted in the background & rules forum, just to make sure it looks like something you want to play.

Also, @Jabes.plays.RPG, I did not send you an invitation because I think you are just making a comment. If you are actually intending to sign up, let me know.

Also also, I made the forums public so anyone can check them out: Call of Catthulhu game forums
Last edited May 22, 2022 7:00 pm
May 23, 2022 12:12 am
Quote:
I did not send you an invitation because I think you are just making a comment.
Haha yes, you have the right of it. Have a great game, folks!
Jun 3, 2022 12:38 am
Hi there, I know I'm (checks calendar) a week late. But if you're still looking for more players I'd love to join.
Jun 3, 2022 2:07 am
We do have room for one more. The game hasn't gotten underway yet, so you're just in time. I'll send you an invitation.
Jun 3, 2022 2:10 am
And with that, the game is now full. I just have to figure out how to edit the thread title to say "Closed".

You do not have permission to post in this thread.