[Full] Tales from Averndale

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

OpenDungeons & Dragons 5thPrivate4 / dayOrobu
Quote:
"Adventurers are called to a lumber and mining town in a remote part of the kingdom. Some of you came for a job, or in hopes of gaining true experience. Some are lured by exploration of ancient landmarks, pilgrimage to areas of religious importance some come to collect bounties out in the borderlands, some are here to hunt monsters, or any number of other possibilities may have brought you here.
Nestled in the foothills at the base of a tall mountain range and amidst a dense forest, the City of Averndale was once important to the region’s economic and military strength, but now decays from neglect. What was once a great city has lost population and skilled labor to maintain many of the industrial and social services, and yet the natural resources of the area are plenty enough for rural folk to get by. The Mayor has plans to revive the town by strip mining and clear-cutting, but some vocal citizens are seeking another way that doesn’t exploit the land and commoners of the territory.
As various factions and individuals vie for control of what remains of Averndale, the players will have the opportunity to shape the town and guide its future by their choices and alliances."
**This campaign is focused upon Averndale as a Central City HUB.
The campaign is a high-adventure, with a balance of combat, exploration, character-focused social role-play, and faction-building.
I'm a story-focused DM that enjoys cooperative Role-play and I love a group that thinks outside the mechanical optimization box.
My main vibe is to Have Fun. It’s a game, and if we aren’t having fun then what is the point.

Jun 10, 2022 8:03 pm
The Game System and Rules Version.
D&D 5e, with minor home-brew hacks and optional rules.

The Pitch.
Tales from Averndale

"Adventurers are called to a lumber and mining town in a remote part of the kingdom.
Some of you came for a job, or in hopes of gaining true experience. Some are
lured by exploration of ancient landmarks, pilgrimage to areas of religious importance
some come to collect bounties out in the borderlands, some are here to hunt monsters,
or one of any number of other possibilities may have brought you here.

Nestled in the foothills at the base of a tall mountain range and
amidst a dense forest, the City of Averndale was once
important to the region’s economic and military strength, but now
decays from neglect. The great city has lost population and much of
their skilled labor to maintain many of the industrial and social services,
and yet the natural resources of the area are plenty enough for rural folk to get by.

The Mayor has plans to revive the town by strip mining and clear-cutting,
but some vocal citizens are seeking another way that doesn’t exploit
the land and commoners of the territory. As various factions and individuals vie
for control of what remains of Averndale, the players will have the opportunity
to shape the town and guide its future by their choices and alliances."

**This game will surround a Central city HUB. The campaign is a high-adventure, with a balance of combat, exploration, character-focused social role-play, and faction-building.
My main vibe is to Have Fun. It’s a game, and if we aren’t having fun then what is the point.
I'm a story-focused DM that enjoys cooperative RP and I love a group that thinks outside the mechanical optimization box.

Adult Content or Controversial Themes.
Graphic Violence and Gore welcome. A fair bit of Drug-use. Strong Language allowed but absolutely no hate speech. No Sexual Content; courting and marriage rites should conform to accepted social protocols for the medieval setting or you will be shunned or arrested for indecency; and Removed from the Game if necessary!
Recommended for Mature(ish) audiences, viewer discretion advised.

Character Restrictions.
Player’s Handbook only. Sorry not Sorry, just talk to me about your cool idea and I’ll help implement it into the setting. Most home-brew and character customization are about flavor rather than mechanics, and the flavor is where Play-by-Post shines!

Specialized Software and Resources.
None, just the forums and die-roller onsite.

Player Experience Requirements.
Role-players Wanted! (full paragraphs and reactions)
Newbie’s Welcome! (no inherent knowledge needed)

How to Apply.
Please apply through Private Message or Game Listing

Welcome Marginalized Groups.
I am, and this game will be, explicitly friendly to friendly players, regardless and/or in honor of their nationality, skin color, gender(s) or fashion choices, and/or neurodivergence (or other things I’ve forgotten due to personal privilege). I am explicitly unfriendly to player’s who jerks in OOC interactions. I will In-and-Out of Game discourage power-gaming, rule-lawyers, and those with desire to be the main character.
Last edited July 8, 2022 12:16 am
Jun 11, 2022 6:26 am
Orobu says:
The Game System and Rules Version.
D&D 5e, with minor home-brew hacks and optional rules.
What would those hacks and optional rules entail?
Orobu says:
Character Restrictions.
Player’s Handbook only. Sorry not Sorry, just talk to me about your cool idea and I’ll help implement it into the setting. Most home-brew and character customization are about flavor rather than mechanics, and the flavor is where Play-by-Post shines!
So you wanna play D&D 5.0, where Xanathar's Guide to Everything introduced D&D 5.1, Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything D&D 5.2 and now we have Monsters of the Multiverse D&D 5.3. The game has evolved, so I am currious to why you wanna stay with the original rules?

4 posts pr day!? Are you serious? Or is that a typo?

Last question
Starting level?
Last edited June 11, 2022 6:27 am
Jun 12, 2022 2:29 am
I use a bunch of little hacks. Awesome points, crit charts, aggravated wounds. More than I felt like listing.
My campaign doesn't need all those books, and I don't use the Forgotten Realms setting.
4 posts a day is how much I can do reliably.
Starting level is one; posted on the Game Listing, and I added a link for convenience.
Last edited June 12, 2022 2:56 am
Jun 12, 2022 5:49 am
Thank you for the answers. That is not a game for me
Jun 13, 2022 4:01 pm
Update: Currently Full
Jun 28, 2022 4:28 pm
1 Open Spot for this game, PM me for an invite!
Jul 6, 2022 7:57 pm
This looks interesting, PHB exclusive....is the spot still free?

I am not too big on writing but i want to try, don't hold back with kickin' me out if i don't make the cut.
Last edited July 6, 2022 7:58 pm
Jul 8, 2022 12:17 am
Sorry Bubbles, we're full and also definitely looking for writers.
Jul 8, 2022 2:17 am
No pressure, have fun!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.