[LFP] Symbaroum - Rescue from Thistle Hold

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedSymbaroumPrivate1 / dayQralloq
The forest of Davokar is a singularly dangerous place, not just because of the fell creatures and darkfolk that inhabit the ancient forest, but also just by its nature. Those who long linger within find themselves twisted mockeries of their former selves. Or so the rumours go.
https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/166194/assets/758424/thistle_hold_gate_house.jpg?1500156704
You have been summoned to appear before the mayor on a mission rumored to take you into Davokar. As normally you would need a permit, this is an opportunity, and one that should pay well. Furthermore, a good showing with the mayor will set you up for further forays into the fel forest.

=========
This is an introduction game to the world of Symbaroum. We will keep the rules simple, and full explanations of gameplay will organically arise as need be, such that you won't need the rulebook to participate.

This game uses the original Symbaroum system. This is NOT Ruins of Symbaroum the recent D&D 5e conversion.

Jun 28, 2022 2:39 am
https://i.imgur.com/TPE5OoD.png
Rescue from Thistle Hold
The Premise
Symbaroum is a world where you will get to explore the vast Forest of Davokar in the hunt for treasures, insights and fame; where you may visit one of the eleven barbarian clans to trade or to plunder their treasuries; where you can establish a base of power among princes, guilds or rebellious refugees in the capital city of Yndaros; where you can fight for the honor of Queen Korinthia or ally yourselves with the ancient guardians of the forest. Whichever path you choose to walk, unforgettable adventures are waiting behind every crest and bend.

Thistle Hold is a newer town, a base of Ambrian operations on the south side of the massive forest known as Davokar. From their, those with proper permits are allowed to enter the dangerous woods, a place of mystery and horror, and treasure. Few who return, return hale and whole, and many survivors carry within them a taint of Corruption that does not wash away.

Apply Within
Mercenaries, treasure seekers, and those with nothing left to lose gather in Thistle Hold, and apply for an Explorer's License, or wait to be hired for a job, any job, that could bring them a chance at wealth, or even enough food to survive another week. You have been selected from your applications to meet for a special job, all very secretive. Secrets in Davokar are legion, and deadly. Do you dare answer this call?

More About the Game
Concept: Symbaroum is dark fantasy. This is a scenario designed by me, rather than written by competent folk of strong moral character. The story will start in a town (guess which one), introduce some of the factions, and then a jaunt into the wilderness for dubious rewards and almost certain doom.

Aim: To have fun with everyone playing a dark exploration of a very dangerous place; to introduce players to the gritty factions vying for control; to showcase the unique darkness that is Symbaroum.

Subject Matter and Tone: Mature -- this will not be G rated. Violence, gore, body horror, dangerous action, vengeance, anger. We'll use lines and veils to dial in further for folks' comfort, but be aware the game is meant to be visceral.

System: Symbaroum (original). This will used the Fria Ligan 2019 publication. This is not the recent D&D 5e version, Ruins of Symbaroum and it is entirely incompatible with that. There are six pregens available - full rules will be made available within the game with no requirement for the players to own the book. If you do have the book and want to make your own character, then the Advanced Players Guide options are also available.

Expected Posting Rate: Daily

Safety Tools: X-Card, Lines and Veils
I'll be selecting 4 or 5 folks to get started. The game should last six months (I guess, who knows), and then will end. I'll possibly be replacing folks we might lose over time, at least as far as the narrative permits.

Note that this game is explicitly friendly to LGBT and any other minorities or marginalized groups.

Thanks for your interest.
Jun 28, 2022 2:47 am
Free League has stolen my heart, and I've been dying to play this system for a hot minute! I'd love to apply for this game! Dark fantasy is my jam.
Jun 28, 2022 2:55 am
I've been captivated by Symbaroum and looking to get some experience with the system. I'd love to be a part of this game.
Jun 28, 2022 3:00 am
I would like to apply to this game. I'm new to PbP and this system but this sounds right up my alley (esp since you said not 5e). I love free league from what I've seen of their rules (Alien and Mork Borg). No problem buying their book and supporting them in the process.
Jun 28, 2022 3:31 am
While it is Free League publishing it, it doesn't use their Year Zero Engine. Instead is a d20 roll under mechanic that's fairly simple and intuitive.
Jun 28, 2022 3:43 am
It sounds like there is a fair amount of gold and death to be had. I'll take two of each please.
Jun 28, 2022 4:28 am
Qralloq says:
While it is Free League publishing it, it doesn't use their Year Zero Engine. Instead is a d20 roll under mechanic that's fairly simple and intuitive.
I've read through the book a bit and noticed that. And while I do adore the YZE, I find that they pack flavor into every project they work on. My application stands!
Jun 28, 2022 6:05 am
Would love to play in a Symbaroum game. Contemplated running my own, but this might be better! Hat flung into ring.
Jun 28, 2022 7:40 am
I have Symbaroum and have longed to play it. Please add me to the reserve list
Jun 28, 2022 3:24 pm
Love to see the interest in this wonderful setting. I'll give it another day or so, then let you all know. With PMd and prior interest, we might have 9 players which is enough for two parallel games -- a bit more work out of the gate for me, but entirely manageable.
Jun 28, 2022 4:31 pm
I’d love to give this a try if you need any extra players.
Jun 28, 2022 5:52 pm
I am interested too, but I probably don't have enough t ime :( This has been on my wishlist too.
Jun 28, 2022 9:07 pm
I'm especially intrigued by not needing to own the book and the mechanics being introduced as we go. That might just make things easy breezy for me...

Add me onto the pile unless you've got too many bodies on it now :)
Jun 30, 2022 2:24 am
I think this means that we have 8. Falconloft is a maybe.

I'll try and mix up some veterans with new-to-GP users.

Invites will go out tomorrow evening to @Esidrix, @neoanomally, @therecusant, and @rp_anon.

I'll set up the second game shortly after I get them started, and invite @cowleyc, @zagrave, @Harrigan, and @Thielindra to that one, and @Falconloft if he wants. That will happen this weekend.
Jun 30, 2022 3:59 am
@Qralloq Awesome, looking forward to it! I ordered the book to learn more about the setting. Should have it this weekend.
Jun 30, 2022 5:12 am
Thanks for running not one but two games, Q!
Jun 30, 2022 12:28 pm
Looking forward to the fun times.
Jul 1, 2022 1:21 am
I wait with bated breath.
Jul 1, 2022 1:28 am
Invites sent to the first group.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.