[Interest Check] Blades in the Dark

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 28, 2022 9:22 pm
Looking for an RP-heavy game and group. Blades in the Dark looks fun! I'm willing to DM or Play if someone out there is more interested. Looks pretty cool overall. Thoughts?
Jun 28, 2022 9:43 pm
Oh man, I would loooooove to play in a Blades in the Dark play by post. Count me in.
Jun 28, 2022 11:21 pm
I am definitely down for BiTD pbp ♡♡♡♡
Jun 28, 2022 11:49 pm
Ever played? I'm willing to learn with you, just wondering. It seems like a game that could allow a good amount of players. Is 2 enough?
Jun 29, 2022 12:36 am
We can play 2 to 4 players comfortably, Kinghottrash and I have both played :D
Jun 29, 2022 1:04 am
I've run a 12 session game of Blades, live text (elsewhere), and know Duskvol pretty well. The one thing you may want to address is that the game is designed to have a discussion about what occurs in any given scene between GM and player. It's meant to be something of a negotiation, like rough-drafting the scene in a TV show.

That aside I might be interested as well if there's room for me.
Jun 29, 2022 1:47 am
Cool, I've reread it a few times now and I see the way it sets up. I feel like that lends well to forums and I prefer co-writing with the players anyway.

Well, I will work on a game listing and Invite you each when it is ready!
Jun 29, 2022 1:53 am
Orobu says:
Ever played? I'm willing to learn with you, just wondering. It seems like a game that could allow a good amount of players. Is 2 enough?
SaighdearKit is my girlfriend and I have both ran and played Blades in the Dark. I've done a lot of campaigns in-person and only really one or two via text.

Like @rp_anon was saying, the big thing is figuring out how to do the discussion between the storyteller and the players to figure out position, effect, and possible consequences. I strongly recommend having an OOC area or even having a Discord made to figure things out via text so it doesn't clog up the gameplay.

As for number of players, I tend to find that the game works best between two - four players. Lots of players means adding in additional options and the group can get paralyzed by options sometimes of how to best address a situation and making sure everyone has a chance to shine. With less people, the group has more limited options and specializations so they tend to have a more focused approach. You don't have to worry about making everyone shine.

I have ran a game where all four players were Cutters. The group really fit the whole "if all you have are hammers, everything is a nail" mentality.
Jun 29, 2022 2:13 am
Love to join. Ran one shot once and ran a lot of BITD hack stuff. Yeah and I agree with 3-4 (2 is find but i found that 3 easier for player to throw dialog back and forth)
Jun 29, 2022 2:25 am
As mentioned above, the ideal number for Blades is three players (and a GM). Two tends to limit the interparty interaction that is such a significant part of the play cycle. Four is fine (and allows for one player to go idle for a bit and not harm the flow), but more than that can dilute the characters specialness and can disrupt 'balance'.

Blades is an excellent game for live play, but the need for extensive discussion before every roll can cause issues in PbP. Familiarity with rules really helps this game, but ever more so in PbP. Willingness to learn the rules and how they work in varied situations is essential.

It really helps if the players are invested --and engage with-- the world, the locations, and the NPCs. The GM has much less say in how things proceed than is some other games, so the players need to be self-motivated and creative.
Jun 29, 2022 4:57 am
With the right GM I could see waving the negotiation part of position/effect and outcomes. If you imagine a well written post being keyed and interpreted you could save time. Though you would have to write more speculatively rather than giving outcomes right away. Could also be just spread out amongst players and some good faith to act within an honor system.

Put another way - if I narrate that I am striking first, unarmed, against a trio of prepared men with swords, you can probably accept that easily as Desperate/Limited.

Just thinking out loud in any case!
Jun 29, 2022 6:22 am
rp_anon says:
With the right GM I could see waving the negotiation part of position/effect and outcomes. If you imagine a well written post being keyed and interpreted you could save time. Though you would have to write more speculatively rather than giving outcomes right away. Could also be just spread out amongst players and some good faith to act within an honor system.

Put another way - if I narrate that I am striking first, unarmed, against a trio of prepared men with swords, you can probably accept that easily as Desperate/Limited.

Just thinking out loud in any case!
That is how we ran it in another game, with the GM allowed to make adjustments in the midst of things if there were unexpected stuff. Thankfully, Gamersplane allows for a lot of editing when it comes to posts so that makes it far simpler to do stuff.
Jun 30, 2022 1:55 pm
searching for a 4th player!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.