[Full] Coats and Clockwork: SWADE Homebrew

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedSavage WorldsPrivate2 / weekDunko
After five years of her cousin, the Duke of Strif, ruling in as her regent, Queen Isbel Treagone has taken her throne at the age of 17. Out numbered and out allied, only by the bravery and skill of her families personal troops was she successful--her Gold Coats; her musketeers!

But the victory came at a great cost of life and security. The Gold Coats are diminished. The realm is wounded. More than ever, the people need the help of the queen and her musketeers.

So, let's go on an adventure together and bring law and justice back to the realm. Take on the role of a musketeer, Roleplaying as a rapier wielding protector of law and the people in a gear-punk, 17th century inspired, fantasy world. Fencing, courtroom drama, investigation, flying ships and intrigue await!

Jul 2, 2022 9:08 pm
✅ Story & Pitch:

After five years of her cousin, the Duke of Strif, ruling in as her regent, 17 year old Queen Isbel Treagone has taken her throne. Out numbered and out allied, only by the bravery and skill of her families personal troops was she able to ascend--her Gold Coats; her musketeers!

https://i.imgur.com/w9hQoMi.png
(Snowskadi @ deviantart.com)

But the victory came at a great cost of life and security. The Gold Coats are diminished. The realm is wounded. More than ever, the people need the help of the queen and her musketeers.

So, let's go on an adventure together and bring law and justice back to the realm. Take on the role of a musketeer, Roleplaying as a rapier wielding protector of law and the people in a gear-punk, 17th century inspired, fantasy world. Fencing, courtroom drama, investigation, flying ships and intrigue await!

https://i.imgur.com/YxWRBJ4.png
(Thom Tenery, art for An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors)

None of the art posted here is mine, except any maps I map using Wonderdraft (but again, not my assets).

✅ The Meta:

I'm going for a gear-punk musketeer style.

The age of heavily armored knights is long gone. Generals and leaders focus on lines of muskets (gear-lock) and battle lines. People just don't make heavy armor these days. Cloth and leather is all folks would wear--professional or otherwise.

Additionally, sticking with the genre, swords are rapiers, daggers, crossbows, firearms and fencing are what we'd find!

https://i.imgur.com/GQ0AAdM.png
(sylee1 @ deviantart.com)

This is a world of humans scheming for power, navies sailing the skies on airships, folk forged from gears and an age of new invention and wonder. Two Arcane backgrounds populate the setting and one additional species. Player Characters are expected to buy-in to their role as royal musketeers.

https://i.imgur.com/pgorpEZ.png

Folks in the world are either suspicious of the crown and the royal musketeers or believe in what they bring to the land. So I'd imagine RP'ing some PR could be in order. "Missions" may be handed down from superiors. Much of the role of the Gold Coats at this time is to represent the queen well and get the people to follow believe in her again!

https://i.imgur.com/JlnnF6u.jpg

I'm stealing from all over--Three Musketeers (obviously), Alchemy of Masques, The Great Coats, tons of other fantasy books and / or TRPGs, history etc.

I'd like to have more of the game world built out as we go, collaboratively. Meaning, there's not much to know going in, and as long as we're consistent in tone we should all be able to add on the fly.

https://i.imgur.com/50Hg9Tb.jpg (I think this is concept art from Barbie: Three Musketeers)

✅ The Game System and Rules Version:

SWADE, standard rules, but I'm making use of the following Setting Rules from SWADE core book:

(1) Dynamic Backlash
(2) Creative Combat
(3) Wound Cap

✅ Adult Content or Controversial Themes:

I like to say any game I host is rated R, but I really feel I'd play this one more PG-13 for fantasy action, fencing (which could result in death), use of alcohol and guns, political scheming. I'm not going to be engaging "adult content" but not squeamish regarding innuendo or mentions--It's not something that would ever be on camera though.

✅ Character Creation:

Characters are created using SWADE core rules. Feel free to use the Savage Worlds sheets folks have kindly added to gamersplane.com, or use a paper sheet if you prefer--I don't feel the need to look at your sheets.

There are two arcane backgrounds available (more details on the game page). Using standard Human Rules--i.e., you'd start with Adaptable.

✅ About Me & Playstyle:

I'm Dunko and I like narrative games! I've been hosting SWADE games since its release (never played older editions of Savage Worlds) and I love the system for its flexibility. I make full use of the sub systems--Dramatic Tasks, Quick Encounters, Social Encounters--and shy away from any of the wargame aspect the system still has. I prefer the off the cuff "oh, take a +2/-2 for the situation" over finding a Situational Rule for everything (though honestly they often align :D).

I'm all for OOC conversations in game chat as long as they are relevant to the narrative and scene, and sometimes I prefer OOC talks for the sake of clarity over trying to convey things IC.

Active players who set their scenes and join in shaping the narrative get the most of sessions with me because usually I'm following their lead, not the other way around!

✅ Game Duration and Post Frequency:

I'm requesting 2 posts a week min--preferably on two separate days. If we end up posting more that's great, but it's not a must. I'm kinda goin' for a laid back attitude here.

I intend the game to at least last a couple months--aiming toward a place that narratively makes sense to check in and see if we want to continue. So, I'd like to do one story arc and see what's what.

https://i.imgur.com/nUWXfeF.jpg(Alfven Ato)

✅ Specialized Software and Resources:

None.

✅ Player Experience Requirements.

None, really. I think SWADE is a simple system with a pretty well unified resolution mechanic--but in my experience new players can get tripped up on their first couple character creations. I'm more than happy to help any new players get rolling, including making a pre-gen to their specifications.

✅ How to Apply:

I'm looking for 4 plays max, but will play with 2 min. You can express interest here and apply on the game page. I feel like if you've read this far and apply then you're in for the type of game I'm going for, so I'm leaning toward first applied first accepted.

✅ Welcome Marginalized Groups:

This game is explicitly friendly to LGBT and any other minorities or marginalized groups.
Last edited July 3, 2022 2:00 am
Jul 2, 2022 9:40 pm
I would like to throw my hat in, the posting rate seems easy to meet. Intriguing concept for a setting!

I know SWADE fairly well, one of my go-to systems as a GM (and have a preference for small PbP groups too).
Jul 2, 2022 9:50 pm
I'm interested in this, as I'm yet to play in a more fantasy/intrigue-aligned SWADE game. And this game pace and number of players is just what I prefer! :D
Jul 2, 2022 11:15 pm
I cannot say no to swashbuckling SWADE goodness. I am definitely intrigued and would love the chance to play in this relaxed pace of a game :)
Jul 2, 2022 11:41 pm
Hello! I'm definitely interested. Love the setting and you clearly are passionate about it, which excites me. Also, Swashbucklers are the bees knees!

Oh, and I've played and GM'ed SWADE, so am familiar with the ruleset.
Last edited July 2, 2022 11:43 pm
Jul 3, 2022 1:55 am
Thanks folks! I'll get some invites out this weekend!
Jul 3, 2022 5:20 am
Looks like I'm too late for this one. Let me know if a spot opens up!
Jul 3, 2022 6:54 am
very cool concept - hope you guys have a good game
Jul 3, 2022 7:34 am
Chiming in to say this looks fantastic -- good luck and good gaming!
Jul 5, 2022 11:16 pm
Also putting in to be notified if a spot opens. I love some swashbuckling action.
Jul 6, 2022 2:11 am
My rapier and my musket are yours if you'll take me.
Jul 6, 2022 2:39 am
If we open up I'll definitely let you all know! Thanks for reaching our with interest.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.