CLOSED Recruitment Thread for "The City of Doors"

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 24, 2022 2:18 pm
New DM (to play by post) looking to recruit 3/5 players to a Sigil/Planescape based game. The Planescape setting will be tweaked to use 5e rules. I'm looking for 3 players (to join two already recruited) interested in running a game with characters starting at Level 1. I have never DM'd a play by post game (but have many years table experience) so there will be a learning curve for me, I am sure.

Your character is a newcomer to the wondrous torus that is Sigil- the City of Doors. I'm going to run the city as if it is a new experience for you- a planar suddenly thrust into a city where all planes intersect. You're a fish out of water, so to speak.

As this is Sigil- if you have a far out idea for a character race let me know and we can discuss. Characters can be from whatever setting you'd like. We'll be using the standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) for character creation and the 5e character sheet. All published WoTC material is on the table for character creation options.

I am much more interested in a dynamic story with player interaction that a kill crazy rampage. Character connections and relationships will be established to try and make sure everyone has a compelling reason to get along with each other.

This will be an Adult game with adult themes.

I will probably be looking to post one or two times a week as work/life allows. I have joined several games on the site that have fizzled (of course, it happens) to nothing so I'd like to avoid that at all costs.

Please submit your character ideas here in the thread- I'm going to try and put together five people who I'd think be the start of a great story.
Last edited September 25, 2022 9:58 pm
Sep 24, 2022 2:35 pm
Oh, I have a soft spot for Planescape and its artwork and would have loved to join. Unfortunately, I'm at capacity game wise and I have had my fill of low-level games.
Sep 24, 2022 2:58 pm
Tony Diterlizzi's artwork is an all time favorite (and inspirational to my own work). Planescape is just the best! I hope I do it justice.
Sep 24, 2022 3:19 pm
I would love to explore the factions, the Society of Sensation is one of my favourites
Sep 24, 2022 3:27 pm
Hello love to give it a go!
Sep 24, 2022 3:28 pm
I love that there can be tension or cooperation between players based on the faction they belong to (if any)- it just adds a neat little philosophical layer to gameplay. In this game I will expose the factions to the newcomers as they encounter them (lol- shouldn't take too long in Sigil) and if they'd like to pursue membership we can add it to gameplay or break off into a seperate thread if it is just a single player.
Sep 24, 2022 3:29 pm
Basil says:
Hello love to give it a go!
Awesome! What's your idea for a planar character suddenly thrust into the setting?
Sep 24, 2022 3:54 pm
I am interested in the game as well.

Character idea is a warlock.
She is a daughter of a hag. Protected by magic so she didn't change. She has powers of evil but wants to do good. It is her struggle.

Had this idea in another game but that one seemed to have died in session 0. But she would work for this game.
Sep 24, 2022 4:01 pm
SvanDerh says:

She is a daughter of a hag. Protected by magic so she didn't change. She has powers of evil but wants to do good. It is her struggle.

Had this idea in another game but that one seemed to have died in session 0. But she would work for this game.
Great idea! Where would your warlock be from, originally? I like the setup for a conflicted nature.
Sep 24, 2022 5:22 pm
No idea really. Anytime I've done planescape I've just been a normal hero that ends up planes traveling. Regardless I'll probably be a rogue. Love their flexibility.
Sep 24, 2022 5:50 pm
Name:Baile Torjak
Race:Tabaxi
Class:Rogue
Alignment: Chaotic good
Hometown/world: Sigil

Backstory:

"Stolen from his den at a young age and sold to an aristocrat as a pet, Baile Torjak eventually escaped at the age of nine. Living on the streets and fending for himself, he soon learned the art of being a thief.

His life took an unexpected turn when he unknowingly pickpocketed an experienced Rogue. The master thief was so impressed that he gave him a home in the small guild he belonged to and Baile was trained in the art of thievery and assassination.

As an adult when not battling evil (or mice), Baile loves to take the opportunity to steal from aristocrats and to hunt for his lost family pack."
Sep 24, 2022 6:18 pm
So slight correction Baile was originally from Chult and when he was kidnapped from his Den he made it his mission to find his family following a long trail of clues to discover where they had gone too. He discovers that they were taken as slaves through a portal. After years of questing eventually he finished a job for a wizard who granted him passage through a portal to a mysterious city where he believes his family may still be held as captives.
Sep 24, 2022 6:46 pm
SenorDeebs says:
SvanDerh says:

Great idea! Where would your warlock be from, originally? I like the setup for a conflicted nature.
That depends a little.
I kinda like her to be from a darkish place before she somehow entered the planes. A place where people know what hags are and believe in them.

Barovia would work wonders and could be a first choice.
I could also make Theros work (and I know that world a bit better, so that helps).
Or if it would not strictly be a D&D world (since we'd be in the planes now anyway), Eldraine (which is a Magic the Gathering setting and very based on the Grimm fairytales).
Sep 24, 2022 6:58 pm
As the game pace, is relatively low and I have a character concept that just won't go away, I'll announce my interest and a question

My concept is a warforged without memories. I also plan to play her with a minimal of equipment
OOC:
I know it's cliche and very close to Planescape torment, but I want her story to be much about identity
I'm thinking of going druid, and here is my question: In Exploring Eberron there is a druid subclass called Circle of the forged. Will that one be allowed?
[ +- ] images and links to galleries
Last edited September 24, 2022 6:58 pm
Sep 24, 2022 7:31 pm
JamaisVu says:
Human (Variant) Monk - Outlander background
OOC:
Her setting world has never been specified. She could come from Spelljammer. She is already built with starting Point buy, but I can easily shift her scores around to Standard Array if that doesn't work.
Khyree was born into a society and culture that prided themselves on physical perfection and prowess. There was no room for the weak, the small, and frail and no room for failure. It was an oppressive male-dominated society that looked down upon the small girl, who was never as good as her older brother and sister.

When she reaches the age of responsibility, at the tender age of twelve, her father abandoned his embarrassment in the badlands and bid her never to return. She has been forsaken and left to die with the ravages of time and the predations of the horrors that lurked in the shadows of that forbidden expanse. Several times did she barely escape death alone and on her own.

Though, as luck, fate, or providence would have it, she was found on the brink of starvation by a nomadic wanderer. She was nursed back to health and discovered her unlikely benefactor was the last of an order of monks—of sorts. He became her mentor in his last years of physical being. With his guidance, Khyree grew stronger and more knowledgeable of the vast realms of her world and beyond.

When her mentor finally passed from the world of the living, she has no inclination to seek out her old life. That society and its ways were dead to her. So, she set out alone again and soon found herself aboard a ship of land, water, and sky.
OOC:
Maybe she's marrooned in Sigil? The ship and crew were lost?
Hell yeah this is dope. EXCELLENT concept. There is a river (lol- not a river) that divides part of the city where ships can plane shift in via the outer seas/oceans. l have ZERO experince with spelljammer stuff though. I don't know the lore but wherever you want to hail from we can get your character into the city.
Last edited September 24, 2022 7:32 pm
Sep 24, 2022 7:44 pm
JamaisVu says:
SenorDeebs says:
... l have ZERO experience with spelljammer stuff though. I don't know the lore but wherever you want to hail from we can get your character into the city.
I must admit I also have very little experience with Spelljammer. I will look into potential origin points, but I am very flexible if you have ideas.
Lol- do some digging! I love the idea and we can start with just a bare bones idea of where the character comes from. Amnesia, memory loss, or curses are a sweet way to flesh in detail after the fact! You met me know- I'm open for whatever!
Last edited September 24, 2022 7:45 pm
Sep 24, 2022 7:49 pm
SO right now we have a Human (variant) Monk, A Tabaxi Rogue, a Hag (lets talk about the base race) Warlock... several other characters/origin points have been mentioned as well.
Sep 24, 2022 8:01 pm
I don't consider my character a hag as race.
Hags are born human until they change. She never changed due to rituals and wards.
Sep 24, 2022 8:06 pm
SvanDerh says:
I don't consider my character a hag as race.
Hags are born human until they change. She never changed due to rituals and wards.
Works for me- variant human would be a nice fit. The feat can tie nicely into the hag background!
Last edited September 25, 2022 9:56 pm
Sep 24, 2022 8:53 pm
I mean... *looks at avatar picture*

Planescape is my favourite setting of all time, but I'm currently swamped by life and already engaged in enough games on GP. Plus I've mentally checked out of 5e, so using that lessens the pain of me deciding not to join you. But I will be reading if the forums are public and as a long time fan of the setting, I'm always a PM away if you need any advice or feel like spitballing ideas. Good luck with this!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.