[Interest check] System testing extravaganza...

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedKnave - Spacers/Mecha Hack + Stargrave + A Billion Suns + many othersPublic3 / weekPedrop
This is meta game and universe - WIP - that will try to bind narratively all the games I will GM in one cohort universe - with events of one game influencing the other.

Older description:
My testing ground for many systems. Will try to make the "game world" on few levels/dimensions, settings and rulesets.

Post frequency: from 1 to 10 post per week.

It will be crazy: as at morning you go by your spaceship running from pirates to the nearby planet. At evening you go to OSR dungeon at this vary planet. Next week: you lead a band of mercenaries riding a space station(Stargrave). And in (maybe) month you open your interstellar corporation and manage many space ships(A billion suns). Or some other factions do this and your hero is one of those soldiers on one of those huge spaceship. And you never know when your PC can be thrown on same desert planet in his mech to fight for some other thing.

My aim:
I want to find rulesets(family?) for me to play narratively, competitively, in Sci-fi and OSR fantasy, and on global scale.

I want to check how flexible those families/classes of rule sets are.

- Personal level - RPG rules, probably - still can't decide:
Knave - Spacer + Mecha Hack -> adding some optional rules with time or
22BLUE - 2400 -> extending into Savage World with full sci-fi rules or
Offworlders!!! - Word of dungeons? / Dungeon World -> adding 2G2BT and maybe extending into Starforged

On the menu are also:
FARSIGHT ?, The Expanse? Genesys (android/or SW), The One Ring(but used for OSR adventures not taking care about setting) , Salvage Union?

In the things I will like to try also will be: building base, hideout, and tinkering with a ship a lot(as base)

- Team level - Stargrave rule set
- Galactic/Planetary system level - A Billion Suns rulesets

Probably I will start most of those things solo, but... if you want to go on a ride - PM me and we will see if I will take you on my ship/ team/ company/ corporation.

Peace: if you like to join you have to be ready to treat this game as "background" one - at first at least. Sometimes I will post every day, sometimes once a week. BUT if you will not make a move for longer then 3-5 days - without telling anything - I reserve right for my to make moves for your side of conflict.

It will be slow but steady... I hope.

I know it all seems a little crazy/too big... but I don't care. I will do it in my own tempo... :D If you are ok with that, I'm more then happy to invite you and not go on this journey alone :)

it is highly probable that this game will be solo only - so if you are interested in what I write and you will be willing to leave some public comment/feedback - I will take "players" on passive side of things and will make special thread for followers discussion - just PM me if you will be liking to join as follower with commenting permissions.

Sep 26, 2022 1:15 pm
During all this years I have collected m-a-n-y RPG rule books, QSR and so(in PDF format mostly). At some point I have come to terms with myself and realized that - to be honest with myself - I just like... reading rules and analyzing them:D Looking for this perfect system, that simply does not exists - and never will, cause some things are better for different settings - is good journey at itself, but the aim is simply a mirage.

I'm also a big fan of good stories, but if I would not want to stop being honest to myself... all I need for those are probably rules like 2400 or Dungeon World(or hacks). And that is all I need, the rest I can home rule myself or they are simply a distraction:)

So... my idea is this: let's make a game that in reality will be... a series of games. Each new episode/advanture is new setting and new ruleset. We will start with some of the simpler ones of course. Players will do initial "creation" of their characters but it will be only something as simple as profession/archetype and personality. And every time the PCs go to sleep they wake up in new reality, setting and... new ruleset!. So probably this game is more for former/actual GMs playing as players, than for those that don't like to read rules and are asking GMs about them all the time. As...
In order to save time(mine mainly:) ): I won't help you with creating your "new/old warrior for this new ruleset" only will provide you with necessary information for you to do it yourself.

This could be really fast, dirty and wild ride for us. Think Sliders(1995) but not only setting is changing, but ruleset also. Today you are a "warrior" in Expanse "episode", tomorrow you are a "warrior" in Highlander setting, next Earthdown, Deadlands, LotR, Battlestar Galactica, Interstellar, Never Ending Story, Terinoth Genesys, Lancer, Scum and Villainy, Infinity, Conan, Coloris, Castles & Crusades, 7th Sea, Forbidden Lands, City of Mist... I don't know what else. I just want to feel those rules and sometimes settings for a brief moment... and move on:)

So this game is for experienced players(designer maybe?), with rich library of systems that are willing to create theirs characters by their own or sometimes take or thinker with pre-gens. I as GM will also have my character(support role) to check those systems from every side.

Firs part of the fun will be defining together required structure/aspects of adventure that will allow us test systems from most angles in shortest possible time. Then I will define starting system, thing about this fast and dirty episode story for you in this rulesets... and we get going - not caring if all the rules were perfectly executed or not. Let's just feel this system... and move on.

This will be probably slow "game" for years to come. Not priority one for me, but I will move it by small steps. So I think about even 10 players will be allowed - either you participate in this system or not - your choice. But you have to report to me that you are still interested or post a RP - at least twice a working week(mon-fri).

What do you guys think?
Sep 26, 2022 1:15 pm
So the story will be not as much important - testing rules will be.

Could it even work?
Last edited September 26, 2022 1:16 pm
Sep 26, 2022 2:08 pm
I also have a long list of games I want to try but this seems like more of an idea for live play to me. A bunch of mechanics are hard to pull off in PBP and you'd have to go looking for them and replace them in every new system. I also think a strength of the play by post medium is that being discriptive and contributing to the storytelling as a player seems much easier, but you want to reduce the story part.

Finally, the pace sounds like it would be difficult to manage. I may be biased here because I prefer games where there's at least one post per day as a player and I post every second day as a GM, but here's where I think your idea would struggle: a one-shot (where you get a decent chance to at least explore the core mechanics) with that pace could take you 6 months each. If you have a player who might just not be into that particular system, what are they going to do for those 6 months?

All personal opinion of course and if you find players who will stick with it then I wish you all lots of fun

Len

Sep 26, 2022 3:58 pm
This is a cool idea, Pedrop. A lot of gamers have accumulated more systems than they can play, so you will probably find several shallow divers to join you. Player attrition is always a problem in PbP, but less of an issue here because you can always advertise between systems and pick up new players. Over time, you'll pick up a core group that you gel with, and attrition will smooth out.

I suggest implementing the "stars and wishes" feedback system to debrief at the end of each system. It helps encourage both positive and negative feedback, which is sometimes a tricky thing.

Best of luck on this endeavour!
Sep 27, 2022 3:32 am
I would be interested in trying this. I am experienced in several systems and have access to some 150 or so. If desired, I can provide a list if those I have.
Sep 28, 2022 6:10 pm
Characters experiencing a continuity of universes could be interesting but it would have to be pretty fast-paced to really get the pivoting to slip into the narrative. And making characters in some systems is more challenging than others.
Oct 3, 2022 2:53 pm
I have changed my plans somehow and this is what came of it:
https://gamersplane.com/games/3771/
Last edited October 3, 2022 2:53 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.