Chapter 19 - This means war

load previous
Nov 26, 2022 7:33 pm
OOC:
pure adrenaline, and dog-spiration
Nov 26, 2022 8:01 pm
The worm thing recoils back, having lost its grip on the girl in the tunnel! It emits a strange guttural sound in rage and frustration!
OOC:
only Ripper left in the round, then it's card time
Jack the Ripper
the dog pushes away from Bev with her hind legs, whining loudly. The dark, this stranger trying too grab her - it's all too much.

Ripper scampers up the gentle slope of the circular tunnel, and drops out into the natural passage under the tree.

Deck Draws

Al, Bev, Logan, Johnny, Worm, Ripper
3 of Hearts
Black Joker
Jack of Clubs
King of Clubs
3 of Clubs
9 of Diamonds
Nov 26, 2022 8:04 pm
[outside]

[tree hole passage (Ripper)]

[round tunnel (Bev)]

[root chamber (Johnny, Al, Logan, Worm Thing)]
OOC:
Bev gets a Joker, everyone gets a Benny, we reshuffle.
Bev has +2 on Trait and Damage rolls this round, and decides when to act.

Bev (Joker)

others:
-Johnny
-Logan
-Ripper
-Al
-Worms

When does Bev want to act?
Nov 26, 2022 8:17 pm
"That's right girl; go on girl," Bev shouts after the dog.

Bev's reached up and turned on the Low Beam setting of her lights as she hurries down the tunnel after the dog...
OOC:
@Dr_B How are we handling running? Is there any world where Bev makes it all the way outside this round??? Edit: oh yeah shes going first!
Last edited November 26, 2022 8:18 pm
Nov 26, 2022 8:34 pm
OOC:
I would say that it isn't possible to run in those tunnels and passages. Where possible, we can go with the running die +Pace, or use a Chase...
Bev makes it to the surface end of the round tunnel and drops next to Ripper, in the irregular passage directly under the tree.

After the dark enclosed space of the small tunnel, here some light filters from the hole, and the air is more breathable.

She knows, however, that the loathsome multitude will follow shortly...
OOC:
Johnny is up @witchdoctor
The Worm thing is right in front of the underground end of the tunnel now.
Nov 26, 2022 8:48 pm
OOC:
In that case, I'd like to say that Bev's action for this round is looking round to see if there is anything on the edge of the entrance (outside) that she can push on the creature next turn!
Nov 26, 2022 8:51 pm
OOC:
Unless Bev wants to throw Ripper, there is nothing else in the passage that she could throw 😀
Nov 26, 2022 9:58 pm
OOC:
🙃 shell refrain from throwing the dog for now! But heads up shell spend a bennie next round on more than one action card if shes not ahead of creature!
Nov 26, 2022 10:18 pm
Lacking any better option, Johnny just can't let this thing out into the world at large and tries to block the entrance with his body. The worms can probably flow around him but maybe whatever Alana was grabbing at can't...so he wedges himself into the hole, takes a deep breath and tries to hold on.
OOC:
I figure it'll be a Strength roll or maybe athletics to hold on if Wormy tries to break past. I'll roll both, choose whichever is appropriate or have me roll another.

Rolls

Athletics* - (1d6, 1d6, RA)

1d6 : (5) = 5

1d6 : (5) = 5

Strength - (1d4, 1d6, RA)

1d4 : (41) = 5

1d6 : (1) = 1

Nov 26, 2022 10:50 pm
OOC:
Since the Worm thing is acting later in the round, we'll keep Johnny's action for later, to see if it applies and how it would solve - we'll consider it a Hold action that triggers when the Worms move.
Logan and Ripper next.
Logan
With the Worm thing focusing on the tunnel mouth, Logan sees his chance and goes charging at full energy, not worrying too much that he'll be exposed and out of balance after the attack.

Holding the bat handle first, like the ash stake aiming for a vampire's heart, he plunges it towards the middle of the creature!
OOC:
he tries a Wild Attack (+2), Called shot. This cancels the called shot penalty, but he will be Vunerable until the end of his next turn. Damage rolls at +2 too
OOC:
it's a hit, no raises. Rolling damage
OOC:
Spends a Benny to reroll damage!
OOC:
worked this time, he reaches Toughness 7 and the creature is Shaken!
Logan pushes hard into the ever-changing tide of the creature's "torso". HIs bat carves its way to its core, and he can feel something solid being impacted!
"Yes! Take that, you nightmare!"

Worm Thing
The creature jolts, dropping worms as it contorts in confused pain!

Rolls

Fighting, aimed, wild attack - (1d6, RA)

(3) = 3

Wild die - (1d6, RA)

(5) = 5

damage= Strength+1d4bat+2 wild attack - (1d6+1d4+2, RA)

(2) + (2) + 2 = 6

damage= Strength+1d4bat+2 wild attack - (1d6+1d4+2, RA)

(2) + (3) + 2 = 7

Nov 26, 2022 11:03 pm
Jack the Ripper
Ripper smells the open air and bolts to regain the surface. Once outside, she turns towards the hole entrance under the tree and starts to bark furiously.

OOC:
Bev (Joker)

others:
-Johnny
-Logan (Vulnerable, +2 against him)
-Ripper
-Al
-Worms (Shaken) - Johnny blocking

over to Alana, a chance to wound this thing while it's shaken

Alana "Al" Patterson

bowlofspinach

Nov 26, 2022 11:42 pm
"Johnny is right, we need to..." Al begins shouting just as Johnny himself stops his attempt at escape and instead blocks the mouth of the tunnel, cutting off the exit. She makes a face but then focuses on the creature again, not having any other choice, and tries once again to get at its core.
OOC:
Johnny sending some mixed signals here 😆

Yup, doing nothing but wasting Bennies here. Al is still all for getting out
Alana "Al" Patterson
Last edited November 26, 2022 11:43 pm

Rolls

Fighting, called shot - (1d4-2, 1d6-2, RA)

1d4-2 : (1) - 2 = -1

1d6-2 : (5) - 2 = 3

Fighting Benny - (1d4-2, 1d6-2, RA)

1d4-2 : (2) - 2 = 0

1d6-2 : (5) - 2 = 3

Worm Thing

Dr_B

Nov 27, 2022 9:21 am
Worm Thing
the Thing tries to recover from Logan's hit.

You can see it is slowed down, and doesn't seem intentioned to challenge Johnny and get past him this round.

However, it squashes down like a spring, then its mass surprisingly leaps up and reaches the ceiling of the cave, sticking to it and shaping itself along the vaulted profile.
OOC:
it is using the Wallwakker ability to Move itself out of melee range. Ceiling is not very high , you can reach it if you give each other a leg up

Rolls

Spirit - (1d6, RA)

(3) = 3

Nov 27, 2022 9:30 am
OOC:
cards

Deck Draws

Al, Bev, Johnny, Logan, Worms
King of Diamonds
King of Hearts
Ace of Diamonds
8 of Diamonds
7 of Hearts
Nov 27, 2022 9:36 am
OOC:
-Johnny
-Bev
-Al
-Logan (vulnerable)
-Worms (Shaken)

[outside (Ripper)]

[tree hole passage (Bev)]

[round tunnel ]

[root chamber (Johnny, Al, Logan, Worm Thing on ceiling)]
OOC:
over to Johnny
Nov 27, 2022 2:38 pm
Johnny honestly didn't expect it to retreat and he looked at it piling up on the ceiling with a puzzled expression. These things were like young animals just feeling out the ways of the world, running in only the instincts they were born with. He suddenly felt bad for the Ajewia and now the worm-thing... They were less 'monsters' than orphaned wild animals just doing what they could to survive.
That didn't change the fact that these things that the Fulcrum called into existence were dangerous, even as 'newborns', and could get much more dangerous if given the chance to 'grow up'. He gritted his teeth and resolved that the Hunters had to deal with the worm-thing like they did the Ajewia...and they had to do it with teamwork.

Logan had shown him a way for them to strike it where it really meant something and the three had to take advantage of that. Alana, you distract it and I'll help Logan stab it with the bat again! he called out, hoping the worm-thing didn't understand English.
OOC:
We've gotten two free Bennies courtesy of the two Jokers pulled so far, correct?

I'll roll Athletics, I guess, to help Logan get into the air to attack again. Vulnerable doesn't penalize attack rolls does it? I'd do the taunting instead of Alana, but I think Johnny's 'mild-mannered' hindrance might hold that roll back.

Rolls

Athletics* - (1d6, 1d6, RA)

1d6 : (61) = 7

1d6 : (2) = 2

Alana "Al" Patterson

bowlofspinach

Nov 27, 2022 2:44 pm
Quote:
OOC:
We've gotten two free Bennies courtesy of the two Jokers pulled so far, correct?
OOC:
Yes, but I also already spent three Bennies this battle 😅
Quote:
OOC:
I'd do the taunting instead of Alana, but I think Johnny's 'mild-mannered' hindrance might hold that roll back.
OOC:
As a boy, Johnny is also a more obvious choice for boosting Logan up than Al, I think
Alana "Al" Patterson
Nov 27, 2022 3:06 pm
Johnny starts looking for the best hold to lift Logan up towards the cave's ceiling, the most stable and the one that can lift him highest.
OOC:
Johnny's action is in Support of Logan's later action. At present, his roll of 7 would give him a +1

Logan's Vulnerable status will not affect his attack. It gives +2 to any action performed AGAINST Logan.

@Dunko Bev next, the Fulcrum holder - she is in the passage right under the tree at present, not seeing what happens in the roots room.
Nov 27, 2022 3:16 pm
Bev moves as fast as she can, out of the tunnel and into the Outside. She gulps in a breath of fresh air and goes to her knees, in the dirt, next to the barking dog, knowing the creature will be after the magic artifact she found.

Just like she does to Harold, she speaks her plan out loud to the strange pet.

"Out here-" huff, puff--"in the sun, it wont keep itself together! Like a worm on a dock, it'll just wiggle apart, weakening it!" She takes the dog's barking as affirmation.

She doesn't think the other kids are Russian spies... and shouts back down the tunnel, "Come on! SUNLIGHT or Water!!"
Last edited November 27, 2022 3:17 pm
Nov 27, 2022 3:34 pm
OOC:
over to Al. Free Notice roll at -1 to check if she hears Bev 's call from all the way outside (doesn't count as her action)
load next

Thread locked