[Interest Check] - Starfinder - Homebrew Setting

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 10, 2023 11:01 pm
Below is basically what will be the recruitment post. But before I take the time to learn the features of this forum, I'd like to see if at least two people would be interested. Thanks for taking the time to read it all :)

https://assets-us-01.kc-usercontent.com/d960ad1b-9967-00f9-1158-72274b18312d/fa9db3bf-66db-4d59-97d7-a67001e2eae5/sflogo.png

Let's get this out of the way. Yes, I am new to the site. No, I am not new to PBP or being a DM. This is a homebrew Starfinder setting from a home game I was DM'ing for with friends for the past two years. My family and I have moved, and I don't see myself finding any home games. I am blessed to work full-time from home, with plenty of time to commit to a PBP campaign. Now on to the good stuff...

The Pitch

It's 2023, modern-day Earth, and the morning started as any other would. But everyone will remember where they were when the integration happened, assuming they survived. Unknown to the population, an ancient sentient AI, known as The System, with unimaginable power, has chosen Earth to integrate into the multiverse. For now, Earth is shrouded from interference from the powerhouses of all creation until the baby planet can prove its worth to the System. If not? Then like many before, Earth will be harvested for its resources, and its population will be either wiped out or enslaved by stronger factions of the multiverse.

If you are new to Starfinder, this will be the perfect game. It will start as a gritty survival game as your characters try to figure out what is going on with very little equipment. As the game progresses, Starfinder equipment and tech will become available giving you and your character time to adjust to, what can be an overwhelming number of options available. Eventually having to deal with the politics and intrigue of the other survivors. While taking you off-planet and traversing the vast multiverse discovering the secrets of reality itself.

Who are you and what is the premise?
WHO ARE YOU?

Session one and earlier: You can be anybody you want to be from modern-day Earth. That means you are a human (to begin the session), but you can be as mundane as a single mother working as a greeter at Walmart, a recent college grad working concessions at a movie theater to the president of the United States, test pilot for black ops aircraft, or a mob boss from NY. Literally, anything you want is open. I ask that you make it work with whatever Starfinder class/theme (we can make almost any theme work) you are going for. I will provide you with a word of caution, your choice will affect the game.
OOC:
1. Won't that make it difficult to get us all together? Maybe, but let me worry about that. I have complete faith that if I can't make it work that you would be willing to work with me.

2. Does that mean I must play a human? No, you can be any race available in Starfinder. During the opening scene, your race will change. However, this does mean that you will be whatever chosen race with a human upbringing and mindset. That would open up an interesting RP dynamic when interacting with others of your race. As well as figuring out why the heck you aren't human anymore.

3. What about my equipment and class? They don't fit with modern-day Earth. Without completely spoiling the opening scene, all of that will be taken care of.

THIS IS VERY STRANGE. WHAT KIND OF GAME IS THIS?
OOC:
1. If you are expecting a sci-fi game, flying around space and planet hopping from the start. THIS IS NOT THE GAME FOR YOU. You will/can get to that point, but it will be a slow ramp-up. The game start will be more like a wilderness survival D&D game using Starfinder.

2. As I mentioned earlier, this will start as a gritty survival game as the PC's piece together clues as to what is happening.

3. I won't give away too much lore but think of the AI as a single all-powerful god that controls and has quantified everything. You will have a character sheet, quests, etc., that your character will be able to see.

4. Everything is not as it seems, and your characters will begin to see that there is more going on the more powerful they get.

5. It will be very combat heavy early on with clear direction (though you don't have to follow it) and a lot of mystery. With the idea of creating a sense of unease and self-doubt, perhaps even anger, due to confusion (the characters, not players). That will progress to opportunities for leadership, city building, and politics.

6. This is YOUR story, not mine. I provide the situation, you control the outcome. Of course, I have plots, but I am not a novelist with you playing the characters in my story. I don't expect you to make my life difficult for the sake of being difficult, but you are not going to be railroaded. I guarantee you will sometimes feel like you are - but trust me, you are not. There will even be times the better choice is not to do what is expected or asked of you. :)

7. I want this game to be a long-running campaign.

As the DM, what do you expect from us?

1. We are all here because we want to have fun in a roleplaying game. So there should be an understanding that no one is here to make anyone's life difficult and we are here to play a game together.

2. Communicate with me. If you aren't having fun, don't like what's happening, or have a real-life situation - tell me. Don't just disappear. I promise you that I am way too old to have my feelings hurt over this. I'd rather you be upfront and honest with me so I can fix it or find a replacement ASAP.

3. Be able to post at least 3 times a week.

4. Be patient with me as I learn how to use this board.

General Housekeeping

1. I work from home at my PC Monday - Friday from 8am EST to 5pm EST. Those are the times I'm committing to you that I can post at least once daily. But I can more often than not, post multiple times.

2. If you cannot post and that causes a delay. I will post for you as best I can, as your character would post. I have had way too many games die because we are waiting too long for people to post. This includes if you are a 3 days a week poster, but a scene requires your character's interaction - I will do it for you. The post will be as little as possible to keep the scene moving.

3. This goes along with 2 above. Talk to me, let me know what you want out of the game and your character so I know them and what you want. This isn't a DM vs player thing, don't worry if you think what you are doing will derail what I have planned. The game will be much more fun for everyone if I know what your want and can adjust the story to you.

4. I don't do romance. I have no problems with PG type interactions between the NPC's and your character. I also don't mind if your character wants a relationship with another, but do not expect me to get into detail. I also ask that you keep interaction between players to PG. Take it to private messages if you want more.

5. New players welcome.

How to Apply

You can send me this information in a private message or post in this thread. Whichever you are more comfortable with.

1. Posting rate

2. Character concept before the game starts. In other words, what is your concept of who your character is before the integration and all hell breaks loose? A paragraph will suffice, it's fine if you want to do more than that but it will have no bearing on the selection process. We will get the background details sorted out when you're selected. It will be part of the game.

3. What is your class/theme? What party role are you looking to fill? Given what little you know about the game world. What do you think your character's motivation would be post-integration?

Deadlines

TBD - Character concept submissions
TBD - Character creation when selected
TBD - Game start
Last edited January 11, 2023 2:44 am
Jan 11, 2023 12:09 am
I’ve never played the star finder system before but I learn quickly and the premise to your campaign sounds incredible!

My character concept - A boxer (almost Rocky-ish) that grew up in the not so nice areas of New York or wherever the party will be found, who has no clear direction other than to just survive. Perhaps with the world at stake, saving his home planet will be his newfound purpose or his "destiny" you could say.

My character would be the Soldier class - maybe a bit of a tank role just because of his history of being able to take a beating. Or maybe an enforcer type.

When it comes to posting I’m able to post every day when I get the chance. I am very regular on GP and play in various games at the moment.

Thanks!
Jan 11, 2023 9:15 am
I would be interested in this. Sounds like it would be fun.

My understanding is that for now you are only gauging interest, rather than asking for character concepts?
Will start thinking of one that would be good for these setting premises, though. I like roleplaying ordinary folks.
Jan 11, 2023 9:20 am
This sounds a little bit like TORG in that people changes. I would love to play. Big fan of Starfinder, but my real life group bounced of hard so haven't had many chances to play outside of Starfinder Society. Will think of a concept as well.
Jan 11, 2023 12:35 pm
I would be interested. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I will start thinking about a concept (und start dusting off my Starfinder Books).
Jan 11, 2023 12:58 pm
Awesome, thank you, everyone. I feel like I should have a handle on the features of this forum. Thankfully, there are some pretty good videos people made to assist with the maps and such. I will create an official recruitment thread by the end of the week. The plan is to have recruitment open for no more than a week. Then get character creation done the following week, then start the game.

Feel free to message me with any questions int he meantime.
Last edited January 11, 2023 12:58 pm
Jan 11, 2023 1:00 pm
Dr_B says:
I would be interested in this. Sounds like it would be fun.

My understanding is that for now you are only gauging interest, rather than asking for character concepts?
Will start thinking of one that would be good for these setting premises, though. I like roleplaying ordinary folks.
That is correct. I wasn't going to be in any hurry to learn the forum features if there wasn't much interest. The campaign is already done, I'll just take this week to transfer my tabletop notes onto the forum. Though your background will be an 'ordinary' person, by the time the opening scene is completed you will have your full Starfinder class/race etc.
Last edited January 11, 2023 1:02 pm
Jan 11, 2023 2:29 pm
If you need help with any forum features, always feel free to ask. Ideally in this subforum (Link) or, if you want even faster responses, on the GP discord
Jan 11, 2023 2:48 pm
bowlofspinach says:
If you need help with any forum features, always feel free to ask. Ideally in this subforum (Link) or, if you want even faster responses, on the GP discord
Thank you!
Jan 14, 2023 4:15 am
Hi. I'm interested if you're still willing to accept people. While I have run a starfinder game once before, it's been years, and I don't really remember the rules. So you can effectively consider me a newbie.
Jan 14, 2023 3:06 pm
1. Posting rate

I'm comfortable with a daily posting rate, but life will likely get in the way often and I may occasionally be slowed down to once every other day.

2. Character concept

U.S. soldier recently and involuntarily separated from duty. He is fit and loyal, capturing the essence of what a soldier is supposed to be (aka, actually cares about protecting the country and all people within). I'm not sure the reason of his separation - either medical (if it's reasonable that the AI system could cure him), or political (perhaps he tried to report some extremists within the ranks and they removed him for it).

3. What is your class/theme?

Some sort of combatant or protector. I'm not fussy here, and I'm perfectly ok with letting the story decide.
Jan 18, 2023 1:25 pm
You still have an opening? I love this concept.

New to star finder but Played pathfinder for years so star finder will be a quick learn. Give me a day to work up a character concept.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.