[OSR Interest Check] A Daughter Stolen

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedCustomPrivate4 / weekAbbyssalChimera
Our story began in a tavern..."
Though the cliché does not

The party has been together for some time now. Meeting along the way, adventuring, and more. It was not a tavern where they met, but a meeting at a tavern that brings them to their greatest journey yet...
Having only a small portion of renown in the capital city of Imprei, Lord's Perch. Yet, it seems their limited fame has been brought to the attention of one Arthur Rondelm, the kingdom's governor of affairs. One evening, the party received a letter from the governor, requesting that they come to the Rusted Buckler tavern as swiftly as they might.
Upon entry to the seedy establishment, they were led back to a private room that was rented out for their audience. Unfortunately, it would never happen. For as soon as the door swung in to the room, it was apparent that Sir Rondelm was asphyxiating - a silver flask was spilled out over the dark wood floor. The barmaid that led the party back shrieked as she ran to call for the city guard to come. Still struggling for breath, the dying man proffered a hastily scribbled note that read: "Find Ursula Dumein." He passed away just seconds after...
Guards then came bursting through the front door, flooding the tavern and surrounding it. The squad leader called out for the party to surrender, seemingly thinking that they were the culprits. The barmaid tried to protest the claim, but was taken away outside. With such numbers against them, it was decided that it would be best to surrender for the time being until they might be able to secure their innocence via a trial. However, instead of going to the city jail, the party was led down below, into the Imprei Oubliette...
Our adventure starts in a dark, dank dungeon...

Jan 13, 2023 2:28 am
https://i.imgur.com/y6T57Nc.jpg

"Our story began in a tavern..."
Though the cliché does not

The party has been together for some time now. Meeting along the way, adventuring, and more. It was not a tavern where they met, but a meeting at a tavern that brings them to their greatest journey yet...
Having only a small portion of renown in the capital city of Imprei, Lord's Perch. Yet, it seems their limited fame has been brought to the attention of one Arthur Rondelm, the kingdom's governor of affairs. One evening, the party received a letter from the governor, requesting that they come to the Rusted Buckler tavern as swiftly as they might.
Upon entry to the seedy establishment, they were led back to a private room that was rented out for their audience. Unfortunately, it would never happen. For as soon as the door swung in to the room, it was apparent that Sir Rondelm was asphyxiating - a silver flask was spilled out over the dark wood floor. The barmaid that led the party back shrieked as she ran to call for the city guard to come. Still struggling for breath, the dying man proffered a hastily scribbled note that read: "Find Ursula Dumein." He passed away just seconds after...
Guards then came bursting through the front door, flooding the tavern and surrounding it. The squad leader called out for the party to surrender, seemingly thinking that they were the culprits. The barmaid tried to protest the claim, but was taken away outside. With such numbers against them, it was decided that it would be best to surrender for the time being until they might be able to secure their innocence via a trial. However, instead of going to the city jail, the party was led down below, into the Imprei Oubliette...
Our adventure starts in a dark, dank dungeon...

Greetings everyone!

Recently, I decided to close down an Old School Essentials game due to loss of my steam for it. However, I still want to run something OSR - thus, here we are.
I've had an idea for an adventure for a couple of years now, but I've had difficulty trying to get a sense of duration for it. Well, let's see how it goes as a shorter venture, aye?

I have it set up as three acts, though I'm certain the first will likely take the longest. In terms of commitment from the players goes, I expect the game to take up the better part of the year, at the least. That's keeping in mind potential breaks, slow downs, etc.
As far as posting goes, I'd be looking at 4/week. I tend to not post Fri-Sun unless I have the mind for it/have something important to put up.
Now, the one thing to be decided is the system itself... While OSE is fun, not everyone has access to it since it is a paid product. Thus, I've decided to opt for more widely available systems. So far the potential options for the game are:
* OSRIC
* Basic Fantasy
* For Gold & Glory

For those unfamiliar with the above:
* OSRIC is one of the closest OSR games to 1e D&D, with changes made here and there
* Basic Fantasy is more barebones in comparison to OSRIC, but quicker and easier to pick up and play. It also modernizes some mechanics, more notably ascending AC and stat modifiers that one would see today.
* For Gold & Glory is more in line with 2e D&D
https://i.imgur.com/6x4o7SQ.jpg

Now, as far as players go, I'll probably be looking to bring in at least five people, capping out at seven. Lethality and luck go hand and hand with these games, so a larger party ought to be able to do well.

The following questions will act as a form of application for the game. There are no right or wrong answers, and don't worry, they're multiple choice ;)
Additionally, a short description of your potential character you wish to play would be wonderful.
Spoilering both would get great to keep things condensed.
[ +- ] Questions
Further info about character generation, world, etc will be available in the forum for those accepted.

Should there be any questions or things I might've missed/forgotten, feel free to bring them up!
Jan 13, 2023 3:27 pm
I'm tentatively interested, depending on the system. I find myself with a free slot, given that one game I'm in might actually be dead and another never took off. I like the idea of Basic or even Swords and Wizardry, possibly OSRIC, and I'm not particularly interested in FG&G. I think I overdid AD&D recently, between running a game here, at my FLGS, and live with friends.

As for a character, I'm open to most roles! I've been enjoying playing as Eltrezar the Medium in a ToEE game and have a concept for Tibor the Yellow (Tibor the Subversive), 10% magic-user and 90% beard. But dwarf/gnome thieves are also something I would be willing to tinker with.

As for your questions, I'm going with my general answers rather than as a particular character. Instructions were unclear, now my cheerios are on fire.
[ +- ] Answers
Jan 13, 2023 5:24 pm
Well you know I'm interested, especially if Datura can find her way out of the lycanthrope's keep and back towards the tavern in question ;)

Personally I love Basic Fantasy as it has some great expansion material that adds a number of interesting classes and alternative magic rules.
Jan 13, 2023 11:19 pm
I might be on for Basic Fantasy. Though White Box is promising.
Jan 14, 2023 5:18 pm
This reminds me of character creation in Ultima ;)

I do like OSRIC as well as BF.
[ +- ] Questions
Last edited January 14, 2023 5:23 pm
Jan 14, 2023 8:44 pm
[ +- ] Questions
I'd be very keen for some Basic Fantasy. My character would be an honourable dwarf fighter who fights for his clan and the rights of the underdog.
Jan 14, 2023 9:05 pm
I would be interested in joining as well. BFRPG or OSRIC would work well for me.

For OSR I tend to just go with what the dice tell me. I usually roll my stats first and then try to visualize my character. If I had to pick something beforehand, I would like to try a druid or a paladin (since I have not played either of those in any system) if the chosen system supports them. I think in OSR more so then in other games I bring a lot of my own personality to the table, so I tend to play cheery and cooperative characters. This could be a good hook for a Paladin who had their vows/faith tested by being wrongfully accused of the murder.

Answers (General, not for a specific character):
[ +- ] Spoiler
Jan 17, 2023 11:54 pm
Sorry for the silence! Had a fairly busy weekend, time just flew on by.

As I'm seeing, it looks like Basic Fantasy is the dominant choice, so I'll go forth with it in mind. I'll just need a few days to at least get a better idea of what all is left to do. In the meantime, I'll at least get a forum set up with a chatting thread soon.
Thanks for popping in to show interest!
Jan 18, 2023 1:57 am
Hmmm. I'm not familiar with Basic Fantasy, but the rules are freely available and it seems easy enough. I'd like to toss my helm into the ring.
[ +- ] Answers
Jan 23, 2023 10:04 pm
There are still openings for those interested in joining
Jan 23, 2023 11:24 pm
[ +- ] QUEST I O N S
[ +- ] CHAR A C T E R
Jan 24, 2023 1:27 am
AbbyssalChimera says:
There are still openings for those interested in joining
I would very much like to join if there are still spots available.
Jan 26, 2023 1:56 am
Welcome aboard you two! Invites have been sent out
Jan 27, 2023 10:09 pm
Too busy to join, but let me throw Blood & Treasure on the table for consideration :D
www.drivethrurpg.com/product/124972/Blood--Treasure-Complete
Last edited January 27, 2023 10:10 pm
Jan 29, 2023 10:56 pm
If its Basic Fantasy Id like to throw my name in the hat if there are still places available.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.