private games

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 13, 2023 2:51 pm
why do ppl even make private games? i love snooping other ppl's games :-(
Jan 13, 2023 2:56 pm
Some games handle subject matter that the players don't want publically accessible. And some players just feel more comfortable if they're not watched.
Jan 13, 2023 4:08 pm
I've played games in my life that, if they had been PbP, would have violated the ToS and code of conduct and whatever else for any website.

So, that by itself -- even knowing it is an extreme minority -- is reason to let private games be private. I know GP doesn't allow games that messed up, but there is stuff kids just shouldn't be privy to. And before you say, "if kids want to find that stuff they will," let me be perfectly honest -- you'd be right. However -- and this is the important part -- just because kids can find it somewhere doesn't mean we have to let it be here.

Then think about this... it isn't always just kids. Real people are sometimes victims of messed up stuff in real life. It would be unpleasant for them to be trying to relax and unwind with a little RPing and accidentally read something that reopens old wounds, so to speak.

And these are reasons on top of the most obvious: Mind ya business. If people want to let you read their story, or not -- it's up to them.
Last edited January 13, 2023 4:09 pm
Jan 13, 2023 7:49 pm
MaJunior says:
I've played games in my life that, if they had been PbP, would have violated the ToS and code of conduct and whatever else for any website.

So, that by itself -- even knowing it is an extreme minority -- is reason to let private games be private. I know GP doesn't allow games that messed up, but there is stuff kids just shouldn't be privy to. And before you say, "if kids want to find that stuff they will," let me be perfectly honest -- you'd be right. However -- and this is the important part -- just because kids can find it somewhere doesn't mean we have to let it be here.

Then think about this... it isn't always just kids. Real people are sometimes victims of messed up stuff in real life. It would be unpleasant for them to be trying to relax and unwind with a little RPing and accidentally read something that reopens old wounds, so to speak.

And these are reasons on top of the most obvious: Mind ya business. If people want to let you read their story, or not -- it's up to them.
with that in mind shouldn't ALL games be private? how do you know you are about to see somat questionable...... before you see it?
Jan 13, 2023 8:09 pm
Morlaf says:

with that in mind shouldn't ALL games be private? how do you know you are about to see somat questionable...... before you see it?
Honestly? Because most games don't have objectionable content. (Much less objectionable content to the degree I'm talking about.)

A little violence, a little flirty banter, maybe a fade to black after a seduction roll... it's tame. PG type stuff at most, not even PG-13. Even people who have been traumatized aren't going to be upset by that stuff... and the ones who would probably aren't playing PbP RPGs with strangers online, because they know how easily they get upset.
Jan 13, 2023 8:32 pm
MaJunior says:
Morlaf says:

Honestly? Because most games don't have objectionable content. (Much less objectionable content to the degree I'm talking about.)

A little violence, a little flirty banter, maybe a fade to black after a seduction roll... it's tame. PG type stuff at most, not even PG-13. Even people who have been traumatized aren't going to be upset by that stuff... and the ones who would probably aren't playing PbP RPGs with strangers online, because they know how easily they get upset.
yeah, I get ya. The option needs to be made available regardless. good points, dude.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.