[Closed] A Modern20 Supernatural Slice of Life

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedModern20 (RPG Objects)Private1 / dayEugeneGM
The year is 2003. The place? The fictional island town of Motivation, Rhode Island, located approximately 4 miles from the coast of Newport. It’s connected to Jamestown, Narragansett, Newport, and Providence by multiple ferries. The forested Subtle Reserve has landscaped gardens and trails. Nearby, coastal Dunaway Park and Campground features a south-facing beach with breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. Local legislation encourages local and regional artists to live in the community, bringing a bountiful creative scene unique to the region. Truly, the summer colony is known not just as place for New England's old monied types, but also as a place for creative types with bohemian lifestyles and celebrity-driven social scenes.

Most importantly, Motivation seems to be a draw for people interested in the supernatural. Unlike most summer colonies, Motivation is the scene of numerous hauntings, alien encounters, and government conspiracies (not helped by a secretive government research center on the island). Due to this, it sees a large number of visits from those interested in astrology, close encounters, crystal gazing, cryptozoology, possession, fortune-telling, ghost hunting, mediums, seances, spiritualism, and even ufology.

And for whatever reason, you? You view Motivation as home.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A Supernatural Slice of Life is a D20 Modern game using a variation of RPG Object's Modern20. Don't know the rules? Good! The point of this game is meant to be an exploration of the TV tropes of the late 90s and early 2000s. It takes heavy inspiration from shows like Providence, Charmed, Gilmore Girls, Alias, The Invisible Man, Diagnosis: Murder, Special Unit 2, Mutant X, Smallville, and Jackie Chan Adventures, just to name a few.

You'll initially play a mundane character with no supernatural abilities, or few supernatural abilities, although you are encouraged to think about their future path. So, you could play a secret government experiment who's powers develop as we go, a magic user who has no idea about their heritage, even a creature a mythology like an elf, dwarf, or Medusa, whose magical potential is unknown to them, as they and everyone around them thinks they are just a normal human. Or an alien who's powers are just emerging.

Or you could just play a mundane person going on wacky adventures in town. A burned spy? A doctor moving back after a parent's death? A teen visiting their grandparents for a year? A college student taking a gap year to find themselves?

As the game progresses, we can bring in powerful beings that are aware of their state, like Immortals and Vampires and powerful Aliens, but initially, I'd like to have low powered beings.

Some thoughts about the game's Slice of Life theme
Players take on the roles of residents, new and old, living in a tight-knit community that experiences high levels of tourism. Residents all know each other, and secrets are hard to keep. The group must navigate the social dynamics of the community and work together to solve problems and overcome challenges. Scenarios include finding affordable housing, navigating public transportation, successfully participating in local events and celebrations, and making meaningful connections with others. The key to a successful slice-of-life game is to focus on character development and interpersonal relationships.

Jan 19, 2023 9:08 pm
Hello! This is my first time advertising here, so let me know how I'm doing.

I decided to go 'dust off' my old D20 Modern pdfs and books, as I used to love running modern games. I found a system I made use of, an updated version known as Modern20 by RPG Objects. Along with that discovery, I've been watching a lot of TV shows from my early teens, and decided to unite the two. The result is A Supernatural Slice of Life, which merges all the light sci-fi/modern fantasy shows together with the dramas and dramedies of the late 90s, early 2000s. Basically, if it was a Drama, Dramedy, Modern Sci-fi, or Urban fantasy TV show on WB, UPN, or PAX, that is this game's inspiration. I've also added in some quality of life features from 5e and PF2, and removed the needless class system. Basically, I tim-the-toolman-taylor'ed it, and I'm looking for some players interested in playing my Frankenstein's monster of a modern game.

Oh, here's the link: https://gamersplane.com/games/3905/

How'm I doing?
Last edited January 23, 2023 2:15 am
Jan 19, 2023 9:14 pm
I like the idea of the game, but the system isn't really for me, I think. Still, hope you find some great players for this! I could see this becoming a pretty fun game

I checked your character generation info and Academics is sorted under Strength, which doesn't feel right to me. Maybe it's in the wrong category?

Anyway, good luck with your recruitment 😊
Jan 19, 2023 10:00 pm
What, no! Academics works out the brain, your biggest muscle!

Thank you, fixed.
Jan 19, 2023 10:02 pm
Quote:
Academics works out the brain, your biggest muscle!
Can't argue with that logic
Jan 20, 2023 5:27 am
This seems interesting! It's not my usual genre and I only know one of the shows you've listed, but if you're willing to bear with me potentially failing at slice-of-life... I'd love to try!

Do you think it would be possible for me to adapt a pre-existing character for this? I have a monster hunter monkey character who I'm willing to turn human (if needed), as long as he gets to shoot at some unholy horror abominations and charm some baristas on his breaks! (He's a Savage Worlds character, but I don't think he'd be hard to adapt. Here is his sheet, if you're curious.)
Jan 20, 2023 6:29 am
Sure, why the hell not? Keep the monkey theme in mind, I'm not opposed to adapting it. Maybe they were a government experiment, and they've gone rogue (Dark Angel), or were an agent that got burned (ala Burn Notice)? Maybe they're a reincarnation of the monkey king? A Monkey of legend that immigrated to the United States but blends in because people can't see he's a supernatural being (Grimm), or maybe they don't even know they're a Monkey (The Nine Lives of Chloe King)!

I'm excited, this sounds fun. You should definitely contemplate why your character calls Motivation home, what (non-magically) binds them there? Family? Friends?

Anyways, we can discus the particulars on the forum.
Last edited January 20, 2023 6:30 am
Jan 20, 2023 9:50 am
Hi there! This looks super fun. I’m not familiar with the system so you may have to be a little patient with me as I learn the rules, but I’d love to join in, if you’ll have me!

I’m not sure if the system would support it, but I have the beginnings of an idea for a sort of awkward-but-friendly, mild-mannered vampire character who’s lived in Motivation for hundreds of years and views the town as his ‘territory’ so he’s very protective of the town and everyone in it. Don't have much more than that yet, but I figure I'll fill in the details as I work my way through character creation :P
Jan 20, 2023 11:46 am
Very Dark Shadows! Tell you what, I'm literally creating this setting as I go, I want to avoid powerful beings like Vampires initially, although bringing them in later seems inevitable. I'd like everyone to play mundane or almost mundane characters initially. So we'd definitely say you'd play your Vampire eventually, in fact, he'd be like an unlockable. He's like the old man in Home Alone, thought of as a terrifying being only spoken about in rumors, he appears to be the Villain, the antagonist, but it turns out that isn't anywhere near the truth.

I have two ideas for your first character. Idea A is you play another unrelated character. Idea B, you play a character related to the Vampire. There could be a particular family he is protective of, it might be the remnants of his own living family, and your first character is from that family, or maybe the Vampire is your character's Patron, having followed their career and guiding it. Again, we can iron out particulars later.

Still interested?
Jan 20, 2023 12:08 pm
Oh! Of course! No worries at all. In that case, I might need some time to think up an idea for what my initial character will be, but I’m still very interested :)
Jan 20, 2023 4:11 pm
If you're willing to walk me through, I'm willing to learn this.
Jan 20, 2023 5:15 pm
monstersaurus90 says:
If you're willing to walk me through, I'm willing to learn this.
We'll be learning together! Adapting a 3.5 system on the fly to 5e sounds fun, we'll see if it works.

Invite sent.
Jan 20, 2023 5:33 pm
I have had the old d20 Modern .pdf for ages looking for an excuse to use it. If you'd have me, I'm interested in giving it a shot.
Jan 20, 2023 6:24 pm
You can join, but be aware that Modern20 changed like everything, although I haven't any problem with you using it for ideas, and then I can adapt anything you think of to the game.
Jan 20, 2023 7:45 pm
I think there's a free Modern20 quick start guide out there that should bridge the gap.
Jan 20, 2023 7:49 pm
EugeneGM says:
You can join, but be aware that Modern20 changed like everything, although I haven't any problem with you using it for ideas, and then I can adapt anything you think of to the game.
No worries. I just figured it would be a pretty solid jumping off point. Plus, after skimming a bit of Modern20 it still seems (at least at a cursory glance) some of the system themes hold up, so that's good.
Jan 21, 2023 1:43 am
I know nothing of the system but I like the concept for the game, so if you are willing to put up with a complete noob full of stupid questions, I'd be happy to join.
Jan 21, 2023 4:25 pm
How do I like, tie this up for now? We're at Max capacity.
Jan 21, 2023 4:27 pm
Maybe just edit the first post of the thread to change the thread title from [Recruitment] to [Closed]

That's the general way I see it done
Jan 23, 2023 2:15 am
bowlofspinach says:
Maybe just edit the first post of the thread to change the thread title from [Recruitment] to [Closed]

That's the general way I see it done
Done. Thank you!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.