[Interest Check]Chronicles of Hyboria (Conan 2d20)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 19, 2023 11:24 pm
https://i.imgur.com/hfXV6zyl.pngKNOW, O PRINCE, THAT BETWEEN THE YEARS WHEN THE OCEANS DRANK ATLANTIS AND THE GLEAMING CITIES, AND THE YEARS OF THE RISE OF THE SONS OF ARYAS, THERE WAS AN AGE UNDREAMED OF, WHEN SHINING KINGDOMS LAY SPREAD ACROSS THE WORLD LIKE BLUE MANTLES BENEATH THE STARS...

Theme: Low-magic adventuring, dungeon delving, and wilderness survival
Flavour: The Hyborian Age (Sword and Sorcery)

"Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of takes you into the world of Conan the Barbarian, where heroes raise blood-spattered swords against dire sorcery, exotic lands beckon to the daring, danger and treasure lurks in forgotten ruins, and where loathsome creatures haunt the spaces beneath the earth… as well as in the throne-rooms of mighty kingdoms! Seek your fortune in forbidden tombs or upon blood-soaked battlefi elds. Sail upon untamed seas to lands where no human in living memory has walked. Fight for the fate of civilization — or barbarism — on a savage frontier."

Using Modiphius’ Conan 2d20 system, we will explore the breadth and depths of the Hyborian Setting. I'll stick with published adventures, at least to start. The game will be very combat heavy, but with some exploration and chances for social encounters as well.

Posting rate should be at least 2-3x/week.
I'm feeling the need to do some fantasy gaming... I love the Conan stories and the 2d20 game from Modiphius, so I thought I would see if there is other interest out there for some Sword and Sorcery adventure. :)

I'm looking for 4-5 players, and just interested in an overall concept at the moment... I'll be creating a "Session 0/Creation thread in the game for those accepted where we can go over all the crunch, etc. :)
Jan 20, 2023 1:06 am
I grew up reading the Robert E Howard Conan books. I probably watched the movies more than my fair share of times. I'll definitely toss my hat in fir this.

As far as concept goes, I'm thinking a warrior (possibly a 3rd son type of deal) that's seeking to make his own fortune and glory. During character creation I can fine tune the idea...ie, make him from a noble or merchant family..etc.

I have a basic grasp of the system, but I'll still be a new player.
Jan 20, 2023 1:24 am
I love the Conan 2d20 system (and the 2d20 implementations in Star Trek Adventures, Dune, Achtung! Cthulhu...). It's a fun system, and the only PBP complexity are the shared pool for Momentum and the GM's pool of Doom. The GM can manage this for the players easily enough.

Just popping by to recommend this game.
Jan 20, 2023 2:27 am
I would be eager to play! I am running a Conan 2d20 at the moment so it would be fun to be a player. Just in case you didn’t know Qralloq has made a great character sheet for it that my players use. sheet
Jan 21, 2023 1:44 am
Hi, I'm new here, but I came here looking for some sword and sorcery specifically and this is one of the first games I saw. I have some TTRPG experience, though not with this system. I did pick up the quick start guide so I can be up to speed pretty quick. For concept, I was thinking either a seasoned military veteran, to old for the army, but not ready to settle down yet or a hunting/tracking hermit like character who prefers the wilds over civilization.

Thanks for your consideration!
Jan 21, 2023 9:43 pm
I've gone ahead and sent invitations to you three. :) And that's only because I wasn't sure you, Qralloq, would be interested as a player or not as it seemed you might just be pimping the system, which I agree with. :)
Jan 23, 2023 6:11 pm
The Conan stories were my introduction to "sword and sorcery" and I loved the richness of Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age. I am not familiar with the game system but I did download the free Quick Start.

If invited, my character concept is that of a mercenary guard who's tired of protecting the route along the Road of Kings and wants his own share of the wealth that is out there somewhere.
Jan 23, 2023 6:23 pm
This looks extremely promising.
Jan 23, 2023 8:47 pm
@rpgventurer, @Camilla - Invites sent. :)
Jan 24, 2023 2:10 am
I’m a huge fan of Howard and the whole genre of Sword and Sorcery. I’ve never played this system but have played a lot of Hyperborea and other RPGs with similar settings. I’d love to join if there’s still room.
Last edited January 24, 2023 2:10 am
Jan 31, 2023 11:14 pm
MrCyan says:
I’m a huge fan of Howard and the whole genre of Sword and Sorcery. I’ve never played this system but have played a lot of Hyperborea and other RPGs with similar settings. I’d love to join if there’s still room.
I do have room for one or two more, so invite sent. :)
Feb 1, 2023 1:50 am
Haven't played that system but if you are willing to show me I'd be happy to join as I loved the tone of Conan stories.
Feb 1, 2023 2:09 am
I have played a few short campaigns IRL, and I really like the system. I'd love to try my hand at some PBP Conan, I think the system has some real potential for it. An alchemist would be fun, some one who travels for dangerous knowledge and plays more of a support role. But I'm fine with playing something else if that doesn't fit the party or the campaign.
Feb 1, 2023 6:45 pm
GeneralET says:
Haven't played that system but if you are willing to show me I'd be happy to join as I loved the tone of Conan stories.
rvhhh says:
I have played a few short campaigns IRL, and I really like the system. I'd love to try my hand at some PBP Conan, I think the system has some real potential for it. An alchemist would be fun, some one who travels for dangerous knowledge and plays more of a support role. But I'm fine with playing something else if that doesn't fit the party or the campaign.
I've gone ahead and sent invites. :)

@GeneralET - The system is fairly easy to understand, and there is a character creator software to help. In addition, I'm pretty sure anyone will be willing to offer helpful advice at least. :)
@rvhhh - Sound like a very workable idea. At the moment, there's a priestess of Mistra, a couple of Mercenary types, and a potential sorceress. An Alchemist might fit in well. :)
Feb 3, 2023 12:36 am
I've very little experience with the 2d20 system (I believe told is the modiphius system?) but I'm a huge Howard fan and would love to play is there's room!
May 16, 2023 5:19 am
I once played Conan and have fond memories of the richness of the setting. Rules have never been my strong suit but I'm sure I can pick them up again. I currently am not in any games as I have been taking chemo which caused me to struggle to keep any posting commitments. However, I am looking forward to my last round and it is Conan....I probably should wait but did I mention it was Conan?
May 16, 2023 9:22 am
This game was deprecated, Knight forgot to close the ad.
May 16, 2023 9:24 am
This is the thread for current Conan interest

You do not have permission to post in this thread.