Post formatting

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 28, 2023 8:01 am
Is there an accepted format during games?

I posted this and was told it's not the site standard. What's the site standard? (Names have been changed to protect the innocent)
Eyes says:
Format topic.

Speaking
So in general whether you see quotation marks or not if it's bold, it's considered said out loud by your character.
If nothing is bold but you have quotes, it's considered to be said out loud by your character.

Underlined =Stressed wording

Thinking
Italics regardless of quotes will be considered thinking to yourself. Please do not bold thoughts.

Actions:
No formatting

Initiative order (from me)
Will look something like this.
In this case, Joker has posted but in time line it will happen after Stumbler

Scurge
Captain Cavedude
Goblin 1
Goblin 2
Stumbler
Joker
Sadman
Oger captain

Active turn = green
Next = blue
Down on death saves = red
Dead= removed

Oh and strikethrough is something you wish you could have said or done but were smart enough not to
Ex: hearing the ancient dragon make a joke at my expense, I stab it in the eye with my sword and yell Biyatch better recognize!!! I smile and chuckle self consciously.
Last edited February 28, 2023 11:52 am
Feb 28, 2023 8:08 am
Did they give specific areas where it was not how they expected? Looks fine to me.

The only thing I disagree with is leaving out the quotes on spoken text. Formatting, like bold and such, should not replace basic writing conventions. Not everyone can see the formatting.
Feb 28, 2023 11:49 am
No, I think it was wording, I edited the post to fix my wording

And, I don't think anyone has ever defined Italics as just being for thoughts, but I know several people that do that and I liked it.
Last edited February 28, 2023 11:51 am
Feb 28, 2023 1:04 pm
It is pretty common for people to use unbolded italics for thoughts, but still best to not rely on the formatting alone and to still write out:
Quote:
Am I having an actual coherent though? Bob found themself wondering.
I have not found these formattings to really add that much. But it is best to keep consistent with the game's style-guide if it has one, or follow what everyone else is doing. When people start relying on the bolded text to help them skim and find spoken words, but one player keeps leaving them out, it can make it hard on everyone else.

Each game and each GM and each group will have their own preferences. If we play with people, it is polite to try to adhere to them.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.