[CLOSED] RimStories - A FFG Star Wars Game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedStar Wars FFGPublic1 / weekhtech
https://i.imgur.com/1yYz54q.png

It is a time of civil war...and much, much more. Every day, the growing Rebellion threatens the Galactic Empire on new battlefields and political arenas, fighting for hearts and minds throughout the galaxy in their bid for freedom. Moreover, the agents of the Galactic Empire viciously hunt the few remaining Force users in known space and strive to end the influence of the Jedi forever. Beyond the Rebellion and the Jedi, the rest of the galaxy goes about its business. Some hope to stay out of the line of fire, but others profit from the conflict. The most unlucky beings are caught in tyrannical Imperial policies that repress freedom and enslave entire species.

Here you will be part storyteller and part improvisational actor. You will simultaneously create and play through fantastic Star Wars stories filled with action, suspense, space battles, and more than a few stormtroopers, smugglers, bounty hunters, and Force sensitives.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ijr2x7jGrWg/UOIEBDU6DhI/AAAAAAAAEWc/G0FCgOYojhs/s640/star_wars_edge_of_the_empire_JPTargete.jpg

Unlike most RPGs this will be an experimental storytelling game:

1. Everyone will have a thread, named after their main character. It will be in this thread that your main character will shine. You will play there, with or without suggestions and opinions from other players: You can play solo with the dice or have me and more people writing posts and giving Out-of-character (OOC) suggestions.

2. All players must take responsibility for the game in their threads, both the game mechanics and the general flow of the story. Please follow the Star Wars RPG rules, as published by FFG, and the Star Wars Canon Timeline and Setting. You should read and have easy access to, at least, one of the RPG core rulebooks from Fantasy Flight Games. This will be our common ground, so we can tell relatable, similar and interesting stories.

3. Here, your main character is not your "avatar". Characters’ are not extensions of the players into the DM’s world. In fact, there is not a "DM’s world". Each thread is a world, a parallel Star Wars universe, potentially unaffected by the other threads.

4. I won’t be a classical DM. I will not have "special powers", I won’t be a referee, I won’t handle all NPCs and it is not my word that goes in your thread. I may give you some hints, some suggestions, some story hooks if you want to. You can go from there… Or you can ignore everything that I wrote. Indeed, you can even ignore me completely, as long as you are writing your story following our rules and everybody is having fun. =)

5. In their threads, players are free to have more than one character, ebbing and flowing between them as the story dictates. They are also free to control and create all NPCs (minions, rivals and nemesis). In fact, there will be no distinctions between player characters and non-player characters.

6. Collaboration: If you want to, me and your fellow storytellers can help you, OOC, with some hints, some plots and/or some character's description and motivations. If you explicitly ask us to, we can also have our own character in your thread, and occasionally post something In-Character (IC), maybe with some unexpected situations, dialogs or actions.

7. This is still a game. Everybody should have fun and I expect there will be at least as much role-playing, problem solving, exploration, combat and adventure as a classical Star Wars RPG. More so when you consider that now everyone gets to do everything and we don't need to wait days for someone else.

8. Let the dice help (and surprise) you. Use the Star Wars RPG rules and the randomness of the dice to give you structure, boundaries and surprises so you can use your creativity while also having some unexpected challenges. When in doubt, make a skill check ;)

9. In your thread, you should keep the plot moving forward, provide plot twists and maybe even side stories, while still collaborating with your readers, players, following the RPG rules, the dice rolls and listening to suggestions. But don't wait too long for us! The best storytellers can think on their feet and improvise new plans and directions for a story on the fly, depending on the dice roll or based on another player's incomplete suggestions, keeping everyone entertained.

10. This is an experiment. I have never done this collaborative storytelling stuff before. English is not my first language. I won’t be able to post more than once a week and won't require you to, but if you can, please do! Real Life also happens. So please, be patient and open minded with me, yourself and everybody else. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won’t. As long as we have some fun, it will be worthwhile. ;)

The game forums will be open for everybody to read. If you are in doubt, go there and check other people's threads.

May 14, 2023 9:44 pm
Game System: Enjoy thrilling adventures in the Star Wars universe with any or all of three different Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars roleplaying systems — Age of Rebellion, Edge of the Empire, and Force and Destiny.

The Flavour: Star Wars!

Caveats: This is a not a typical RPG experience. It is closer to a "writer's workshop" that can only happen in a play-by-post environment. It is an experiment. See the posting guidelines and further details in the game description above.

Game Duration and Post Frequency: 1/week

Player Experience: Easy access to Star Wars roleplaying rulebooks is a must, as you will, in a certain way, be a GM for your thread. See the guidelines and further details in the game description above.

How to Apply: Just speak up here! Thanks again to those who've already indicated interest. First come first served.

Public Forum: The game forum is public. See the threads there to see an example of gameplay.

Welcome All: This game explicitly welcomes all groups.
Last edited July 12, 2023 11:48 am
May 15, 2023 4:16 pm
This sounds mighty intriguing, but I have some questions about things that are unclear.

The biggest one being, if everybody is locked off in their own thread (which if I read this correctly doesn't even have to be part of the same continuity as other players' threads), where does the collaboration happen?
May 18, 2023 2:43 pm
Carabas says:
The biggest one being, if everybody is locked off in their own thread (which if I read this correctly doesn't even have to be part of the same continuity as other players' threads), where does the collaboration happen?
Collaboration is mainly through:
- OOC comments and suggestions
- Shared threads (you can have another player in your thread and/or vice-versa)
May 18, 2023 3:14 pm
I have updated point 6, above, to make it more clear. Thank you, Carabas! :)
May 22, 2023 5:38 pm
I'm interested in joining in on this. It would be fun to organize some interactions with others. In the meantime it seems to allow the freedom of "world building" for each player.
May 22, 2023 8:57 pm
Will says:
I'm interested in joining in on this. It would be fun to organize some interactions with others. In the meantime it seems to allow the freedom of "world building" for each player.
Welcome aboard! I have sent you an invite. Don't know how this site works, though, so any problems, please send me a DM. =)
Jun 1, 2023 1:01 am
I've been thinking about this and I'd liked to join as well. I only have Edge of the Empire but that seems to fit. Not sure which Will was interested in, for collaboration or 'visiting' purposes.

I'd like to explore fleshing out and playing in an unusual planetary setting, somewhere not super remote but not entirely entangled in imperial complications.
Jun 1, 2023 9:43 pm
Qralloq says:
I've been thinking about this and I'd liked to join as well. I only have Edge of the Empire but that seems to fit. Not sure which Will was interested in, for collaboration or 'visiting' purposes.
Welcome aboard! I have sent you an invite. Don't know how the invite works, though, so any problems, please send me a DM. =)
Qralloq says:
I'd like to explore fleshing out and playing in an unusual planetary setting, somewhere not super remote but not entirely entangled in imperial complications.
Nice! As soon as you add your main character to the game, we can create your OOC thread and colaborate in your setting =)
Jun 7, 2023 2:19 am
This sounds incredibly interesting! I just joined this site today and I've had the itch to roleplay in the Star Wars universe for quite awhile due to my last game being such a long time ago. I have access to all the books but since I haven't used the system in some time I may need some hand holding during some checks or during combat during the initial period but not to a point where I'd need to completely rely on the GM for every encounter.

I hope I can participate in this experiment! Thanks.
Jun 15, 2023 7:43 pm
The4x4Guy says:
This sounds incredibly interesting! I just joined this site today and I've had the itch to roleplay in the Star Wars universe for quite awhile due to my last game being such a long time ago. I have access to all the books but since I haven't used the system in some time I may need some hand holding during some checks or during combat during the initial period but not to a point where I'd need to completely rely on the GM for every encounter.

I hope I can participate in this experiment! Thanks.
Welcome aboard! Just sent you the invite.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.