Gully Toads -- sci-fi horror planetary exploration

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 17, 2023 3:04 pm
https://i.imgur.com/vr3qLQy.png

¬SYSTEM: Gully Toads ─ D6 only skills-based
¬PITCH: Your world is tearing itself apart and you've found a portal device to send you somewhere new: though that new place looks hostile too. Find if it's safe to settle here, or find another device so you can slide further onwards.
¬THEMES: Bleak context, genuine space horror, hopeful and desperate exploration. Were this a film, it'd be 18+

¬CHARACTERS: Built as per rules, with higher tech weapons and armours
¬DURATION / POSTS: Daily posts for two - three months (Sundays off)
¬PLAYERS: No experience of system expected; experience with pbp preferred but not required; we'll need 3-6 pepys
¬PLAYERS+: White cis bi man here; you can match or differ on any of those aspects, it's all gravy

¬APPLY: Drop a post below with a brief introduction to yourself and a character built from the rules above too. First come, first in; we'll start when we reach three
Last edited May 17, 2023 3:04 pm
May 18, 2023 11:10 pm
Old Man Thompson (Tom)

Hurt(2) Heall(1) Recover(3) Conceal(2) Flee(1) Seek(3) Frighten(1) Persuade(1) Reassure(2)

Starting items: Shotgun (Blunderbuss); Environmental protection suit {light}; small wind-up torch (glowing lichen) [chronograph wristwatch with cracked glass, multi-head screwdriver, adjustable wrench, roll of duct tape, pockets full of odd bits of wire, screws, and metal washers].

Old Man Thompson is roughly in his mid 60s. It would be hard to tell under the multiple layers of infrequently changed clothes and scraggy beard, but he’s in good shape for his age. He spent some time in a local militia in his youth, but has mostly worked in remote, frontier regions, maintaining industrial machinery.

I've played 5e and Starfinder, but this would be my first pbp. It all sounds very intriguing. I wasn't sure about the era, so can adjust as needed.
May 19, 2023 12:59 pm
Hey there. I'm new to the site, but not new to role-playing. I played some fantasy d6 in the past so I'm familiar with the d6 dice pool concept, and exploding dice assuming this game does that.

Beyond that I'm not familiar with your setting, so if you are comfortable creating a character or randomly generating one. I will play anything over 40 years of DMing experience here so I'm good to go and kind of like getting a random deck of cards of characters and seeing how that plays out.
May 22, 2023 6:10 pm
Name: Drax Vargo (Rex)
Skills:
Hurt [ 1 ]
Heal [ 2 ]
Recover [ 1 ]
Conceal [ 1 ]
Flee [ 2 ]
Seek [ 1 ]
Frighten [ 3 ]
Persuade [ 3 ]
Reassure [ 2 ]

Weapon:
- Scythe [spread]
Defense:
- Fused Platemail [heavy]
Misc. Tools:
- Only trail mix (forgot his pack somewhere)

Intro:
Drax Vargo, a once-respected human archeologist, delved into the depths of a forbidden civilization. His eyes emit a crimson glow, reflecting the dark forces that now intertwined with him, and made significant changes to his body. His now huge muscular physique gives him an imposing presence but at the cost of being vulnerable due to his body not being able to handle it if he pushed too far. To compensate for that, we wears a fused platemail and wields an intimidating scythe to hopefully end a fight before it gets out of hand.

Note:
I'm new to role playing games just like this one, so I might be a bit slow when calculating for roll checks and similar things like that.
Last edited May 22, 2023 6:15 pm
May 22, 2023 6:42 pm
Name: Vlaxander "Vlax" (callsign: Axe)

Skills:
Hurt [ 2]
Heal [ 1]
Recover [ 1 ]
Conceal [ 3]
Flee [ 1 ]
Seek [ 3 ]
Frighten [ 1 ]
Persuade [ 2 ]
Reassure [ 2]

Weapon:
- Muskette (ranged)
Defense:
- Bear trap (devious)
Misc. Tools:
- Chalk

Intro: Axe has done a great many things in his life. He's a middle-aged man, balding although he covers it with a hat is off to his possible. Is goatee beard and mustache show signs of gray hair. He's never wanted to be a laborer, mining, ditches, mechanisms, or anything like that. He always tried to work an angle, beg, barter and trade. He once labeled himself as a pawnbroker or a merchant but failed in that as well. Beneath his jack-of-all trades he's a prepper, and has always tried to gather and garner the things that would be needed in a survival scenario.

Meanwhile, he knkws that you can't just rely on the things you collect. He has honed his skills of stealth and has always found a way to skulk, hide, and usually avoid confrontation. When forced to deal with something head-on he puts on a devious front, and exploits the skills of parlay, lies, manipulation, and coercion.

Now, be it fate or misfortune the only things he can take with him are few...and the better part of his prep work, the gathering, will not serve him on this jaunt. Still he brings the gifts he feels most important, his wits and cunning. He knows he can't do it alone, or at least his chances of survival are better in a small group.

NOTE: totally new to the system, and to this website for that matter. Not new to PBP. Over 40 years of that. All the way back to the days prior to the internet and we had to use dial up modem and BBS.

Realizing my previous though of just running a pre-gen PC might not make the cut... and I saw everybody else was submitting a full character sheet ... so I checked out the rules and they seem simple enough to put something together.

This seems to be near future? The archaic armor is a bit confusing. Is that meant to be just a reference and we modernize it? Trying to wrap my head around the genre.
May 23, 2023 9:47 am
Hello! If you'd still have a spot I'd be interested
Aug 1, 2023 3:10 am
Name: Five (Callsign: Venom)

Skills:
Hurt [ 1]
Heal [ 3]
Recover [ 1 ]
Conceal [ 2]
Flee [ 1 ]
Seek [ 3 ]
Frighten [ 1 ]
Persuade [ 2 ]
Reassure [ 2]

Weapon:
- Musket (ranged)
Defense:
- Strap + padding (light)
Misc. Tools:
- Aerosol

Intro: Five is somekind of a big name in the medical world. He once do a surgery to a patient using only spoon and fork when he was only 19. The patient is anesthetized by using a lots of helium baloon and glue. The outcome? The patient is alive but needs to be administered for a tetanus shot for the next day. The procedure is so legendary that it was studied at the university as "The Essential Of Field Medicine" and "Worst Practice Of Field Medicine" at the same time.

Because of that, he retired early, wrote a book (or rather he hired aghost writer), get rich, fell to gambling addiction and now is broke. That’s whay he is now in space, scavenging for 3 things. The first, is glorious adventure for his next book. The second, is any treasure that can set him up for life. The third, is peace and quiet, space maybe filled with danger and horrors. But, it’s better compared to the sound of knocking door from the debt collector. Or so it would seem..
Aug 1, 2023 8:22 am
Hey @Snake I doubt that this game will take off. If you saw the Zzz next to seanfsmith user name it means that he haven't been online for 14 days or more. And the original post is 3 months old. If the game was ongoing it would have been established by now and room for more would have been difficult.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

https://i.imgur.com/H8l2bcT.png

You do not have permission to post in this thread.