Part 1: Morals or Wealth?

Feb 15, 2015 6:44 am
An old man sits in the dust cross legged, pedestrians swirling around him. As his bowed head rises, his mismatched eyes seem to pick you out of the crowd of street vendors, whores, thieves, cheats, orphans, beggars, and miscreants. His voice rises slowly in pitch and intensity, "Those who eat of the oligarchs plate will receive thier rewards. Repent and return to the Amber Papacy. Hear me and see my sign." The thin arms reach into a nearby moth eaten sack to produced a small vial of orange liquid. Never blinking, never breaking eye contact he pours the liquid on himself. Slowly his body begins to melt, like a hot wax, and run down into the street to form a puddle. Several gasp come from the crowd. Turning away from the gruesome sight you find a note in your pocket. Meet in the Cinderblock Cellar if you wish to help! Tomorrow Night after the Sweep.
Feb 15, 2015 6:41 pm
Carefully refolding the note before slipping it back into his pocket Kleas steps forward. Kneeling in front the orange puddle he shakes his head, "Generally not the way I like to start a job, but at this point my options are limited.". Getting back to his feet, he turns towards the onlookers and makes his way through the crowd. "I guess I'll learn more about his tomorrow night..."
Last edited February 15, 2015 6:41 pm
Feb 16, 2015 4:29 pm
Ary'din arches an eyebrow and frowns a little. internally thinking"The words the old man used do not hold any resonance for me, someone feels they should have though. Politics are not really my concern...but that substance he used to kill himself...that is interesting. Perhaps this will lead to new contacts with other interesting tools. Yes I will be there." And with that the note gets deposited into the inside pocket of his robe and he moves on.
Feb 17, 2015 8:04 pm
The Cinderblock Cellar was a dank musty affair. Located in an old part of town it used to be a winesink for less than desirable company. Eventually even that fell into disrepair. As you enter the cellar down some broken stone steps, a tattered strip of cloth serves as a door. Inside are several other people standing around the walls. A single lantern gives light to the room held by a man concealed in a brown cloak. "Thank you for coming friends. Obviously you know how to locate a disused building, evade the Sweep, and yet hold enough trust to show up. Your skills would be useful to us. If you care to help out our disheartened brothers and sisters of Aian, simply pocket one of the pill set before you. It will serve later in your mission." As you look your eyes find a small cloth laid out with enough pills for each person in the room to take one. They vary in color and size from tiny white pills to horse pills of a pallid yellow. *Once you have pocked a pill and two people have left the room...* "Now go forth and find the Master of the Marble Hall. The rich have relied on him too long to bank their ill gotten coin! Once you have him, bring him to the Jester's courtyard. Whoever succeeds in this task will have the Beggar Queen's thanks." The lantern is hooded and you are surrounded in darkness.
Feb 17, 2015 8:30 pm
Leaning back against the wall, Kleas' left hand finds the hilt of one of his daggers. "Dark room full of strangers, what could possibly go wrong?", he thinks to himself as he waits quietly, carefully listening to his surroundings. "Once this place clears out a bit I'll see what I can find out about this 'Master of the Marble Hall'."
I'll throw out an intellect roll, just in case it's needed for having Kleas listening to his surroundings.

Rolls

Intellect (Listening in the dark room) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Feb 17, 2015 9:09 pm
Old McDonald had a farm
With fleece as white as snow
Along came a spider
and .... oh, I forget the rest.

I'm not sure who this Beggar Queen is, but she sure wants this "Master of Marble Hall" pretty badly. I wonder what she will give for him. Then again, maybe he does not want to meet her. Who knows, not me. Palming the pill, I make my way to the back door. Wanting to shed a little light on the subject, and the pill.
Last edited February 17, 2015 9:22 pm

Rolls

Intellect Roll to ID the pill (specialized in Numenera) - (1D20)

(12) = 12

Feb 18, 2015 12:23 am
Ary'din approaches the table, trying hard not to show disdain for the surroundings, and pockets the pill. With that Ary'din turns and glides from the room. Once back on the street, a moment is spared to examine the item. Then Ary'din finds a shadowed corner and waits to see the others leave. Perhaps one of the others knows something more about this situation that would prove useful.

Rolls

Inspect the pill (trained in Numenera) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Feb 19, 2015 5:40 am
Kleas hears the feint sound of stone rubbing against stone. Inspecting the pill Ary'din fails to recognize its use. Kevba deduces his pill to be a level 2 Sleep Inducer. Effect: Touch or ingestion puts the victim to sleep for ten minutes or until awoken by a violent action or an extremely loud noise.
Feb 19, 2015 5:50 am
The meeting breaks up for the night and the six other figures filter out into the night. The next day the sun rises and the possibilities are fresh in your minds. Search out the marble hall. Learn more about the Beggar Queen or Master of the Marbel Hall. Try and join up with some of the other participants of last night's group.
Feb 19, 2015 10:00 pm
Upon waking the next morning Ary'din sets out to identify the Master of the Marble hall. Thoughts of the other people assigned to this task push to the forefront for a moment, but that course would likely prove fruitless without at least a name. "One of my wealthier patrons will know who this Master of the Marble Hall is. Some kind of banker apparently. Perhaps Bano, he and I are in good standing. He hasn't called on me in some time. Perhaps a visit will drum up a little business as well.

[I] OOC: I hope you don't mind my "creating" an NPC. Basically this is Ary'din using past connections to dig up info. I'm sure a roll will be required at some point, but I'm not sure what or when you want me to roll that. Bano is a whealthy merchant or whwtever, someone who miyht hire Ary'din for entertainment. Ary'din's approach would be gentle and offering favors in return for information. Pretty much anything is on the table, but this wouldn't be Ary'din's first time at the negotiation table...though there are no mechanical skills on the sheet to indicate that.[/I]
Feb 20, 2015 12:09 am
Shielding the morning sun from his eyes Kleas finds his way back to the spot where the old man had melted the previous day. "I wish I would have gotten a look at some of the others in the Cinderblock Cellar last night, I have no idea who this Master might be." Reaching into his pocket his fingers touch the pill he picked up from last night, "Forgot all about that, I wonder what it could be?"

Taking the pill out of his pocket he studies it carefully and tries to determine the strange pill's function.

Afterwards, Kleas will spend some time loitering in the area, trying to observe anyone who might have stopped by for a second look at what remains of the puddled old man.

Rolls

Intellect (Identifying the Cypher) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Feb 20, 2015 3:14 am
Quote:
Hello, pardon me? Can you point me.....

Hello? Sorry to bother.....

Oh, Hi...can you?
After stopping locals and asking around, only to be ignored and scoffed at, I see a rather dashing, self important man, walking alone. I start walking with him, trying to impress him with my poetry.
Quote:
Red are the roses,
Round is the ball
I seek the master
Of the marble hall
The whole while, I am looking for some reaction for anyone...a coy look, a downward glance, etc... I am mad, not stupid.

Rolls

Intellect check to see if I spot anyone ill at ease - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Feb 21, 2015 4:00 am
Ayre'din soon arrives at the plush offices of Bano the Silk Merchant. A man of connections to be sure, he wears a golden silk robes trimmed in silver. His office sits in a well endowed stone building on the east side of Aian. Piles of cushines sit behind a low desk. Bano himself has a double chin and is served by two boys dressed in white togas. "Ahh, it has been a time since I have seen you my cheeky dancer! What pleasure brings you to my humble office?" Make an intelligence roll to see how well you negotiate favors for information.
Feb 21, 2015 7:27 am
"Ah Bano, thank you so much for meeting me on such short notice. I will get straight to the point. A little bird has informed me of an...opportunity...that I cannot act on without, let's say, some assistance. I need to speak to someone called the Master of the Marble Hall, but the little bird was lacking in the details as little birds are want to be from time to time. I do not know that name, but I was able to gleam that this Master is a moneyed individual. Something of a banker to the powerful and wealthy. So I thought to myself, "Who would know such a person?" and of course your name was the first one that came to mind!"

Ary'din sits on the corner of Bano's desk and looks him straight in the eye with a pleasant smile.

"So I've come to ask if such a generous person as yourself would be willing to make an introduction? I am positive that The Master of the Marble Hall would be most grateful. And I know I would be."
Last edited February 21, 2015 7:28 am
Feb 22, 2015 1:29 am
OOC: Here is my roll

Rolls

Intellect Negotiation roll - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Feb 22, 2015 1:43 am
(OOC: Hi all, nice to see grandmaster and Utazo (oops, szemely) here, looking forward to getting to know everyone else as well!
Garfind, can you get a character thread started soon? I love reading player bios and it'd help us all out I think. Thanks.)

Perched on a windowsill high above the city, a hooded woman in a black cloak thinks back to the previous night while examining the mysterious pill. Celestial blue hair peeks out of the hood. The Beggar Queen... I remember the name from somewhere.

Sorako will try to return to the Cinderblock Cellar for more information. Do I find it? If so, what's in there?
Last edited February 22, 2015 2:37 am
Feb 22, 2015 2:41 am
(OOC: On my previous post I couldn't roll so I'm doing it here)

Rolls

identify pill - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Feb 23, 2015 11:27 pm
szemely says:
Afterwards, Kleas will spend some time loitering in the area, trying to observe anyone who might have stopped by for a second look at what remains of the puddled old man.
Kleas quickly identifies his pill as a Level 2 Stim. Effect: Reduce the difficulty of the next action taken by 3 steps. Sorako takes the pill in hand and recognizes a Mind Disrupting Poision Level 2. Effect: The victim suffers intelligence damage (2) for (2) rounds. Kevba notices a man wearing the garb of The Order of truth giving him an odd look.
Feb 24, 2015 2:59 am
Sorako returns to the Cinderblock Cellar...
Feb 24, 2015 3:31 pm
I continue around the streets, reciting my poems, keeping the man in the robes in sight.

Is he going anywhere in particular? I follow him until I can get close enough and get him alone.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.