Characters

Feb 25, 2015 4:39 am
Please describe your characters here. Post looks, motivations, backstory, whatever you want, just make sure your descriptions are evocative and interesting. If you have a reason to not post some character info that's totally fine, we can discover it later the hard way...

For a more awesome story experience, please add these to your descriptions if you wish:

1. Create a familiar face you want to interact with or have impact in your story: This person could be your teacher, a family member, a romantic interest, a rival, or whatever else you think of.

2. Form story connections with at least two other players: After reading everyone's character descriptions, describe how you are connected to two other characters, in any way. They could be childhood friends, fellow thief, you might have both shared a Type-12, let your imaginations run wild! If you don't agree with or would like to revise your role in someone else's story, talk to them and come to something you can both agree on.

3. Why/how are you a defenser runner now?
Feb 26, 2015 2:23 am
Sofőr Zsoké is an Impulsive Nano who Murders.

Familiar Face:
Juliska Lajos is an older women who lives a comfortable life beyond the second wall of Gurrai. A widow after her husband's murder several years ago, she took to posting help wanted signs around the neighborhood whenever she needed some sort of odd job done at her residence. To her surprise almost all of her queries for help were answered by the same man; Sofőr Zsoké. At first Sofőr would take the small amount of shin that Juliska was offering for the work, but eventually the two became friends and Sofős now stops by once or twice a week to help out a bit and to have a warm meal and a nice chat. Sofőr's appearance in Juliska's life wasn't an accident.

His victims never saw him. A nice clean stab with the right poison or perhaps a mind crushing mental assault and the job was done. Never having to look his victims in the eyes or to hear their pleas for mercy, Sofőr never felt any remorse. His final assignment, the murder of Milton Lajos, however, was different...

Why a Defenser Runner:
Sofőr now takes great pride in being a Runner and protecting the city in which he was born. His original intent on joining the corps, however, was to make up for past wrongs. Who would think that an assassin for hire would also be a Runner? It was the perfect way to hide in plain site.
Feb 26, 2015 3:20 am
Spax Morllenfain is a Resilient Nano Who Talks With Machines

Spax is a nineteen-year-old Runner recently inducted into the Guardians of Gurai. 5'8" 175 lbs with fair skin and blonde hair.

Nano Background: Forbidden Knowledge
Nano Connection: I once trained as a Glaive, but my skills with Numenera led me down a different path. My former comrades don't understand me but they respect me.

Spax grew up in Gurrai admiring the mechanical guardians that protected the city from the threats of the Maelstrom. Though simple admiration may be too weak of a word, in truth Spax was completely and utterly infatuated with the machines and their pilots. Sneaking away to watch them from the tallest points in the city as they kicked up clouds of drit fighting enemies in the wastes and protecting Gurrai from harm. Spax watched in open mouthed awe each time he saw the defensers.

His collection of souvenirs, autographs from current and past runners, personal sketches of defensers, bits of armor or other mechanical bits dropped from the chasis of returning fighters, and a complete set of small defenser models which had ever been produced. Spax had it all, displaying proudly in his small room on top of his round floating dresser. But his pride and joy was the right gauntlet of Runner Juckai Smist, which was thrown from the Smist's defenser as he and the other runners paraded their guardians down Main Street during Recognation Day. Spax nabbed the long, red, leather gauntlet from the air and held tight as he ran all the way home.

Familiar Face
Morgun Morllenfain - Spax's Father
The Morllenfain clan has lived a posh lifestyle beneath the towers. For three generations the family has lived inside the inner wall enjoying Gurrai's finest lifestyle among such a dangerous environment as the Amorphous Fields. Morgun is the current owner of Gurrai's largest bank, which he inherited from his father, who inherited it from his father before him. Of course this meant Spax was to be the next inline as the only child of the family, however Morgun's son was never interested in safe holding Gurraian shins and oddities. Instead the youth turned all his attention to the Guardians program. This has of course led to a tense relationship between father and son, but Morgun's love is always there for Spax as is his ever present pressure to give up being a Guardian and do something worthwhile with his life.

Why is Spax a Defenser?
Spax's defining quirk is that he can speak to machines and believes that the defensers are actually alive. His peers may disagree, even roughing him up for his ideas. However Spax cannot be dissuaded, he KNOWS the defensers are alive and now that he's a runner himself, he plans on proving it. Spax spends most of his off time either in or around his defenser. Whether it be systematically checking the machines operating system, tightening its armor joints, or just lounging in the cockpit reading about Numenera (out loud to the defenser).

Spax has named his defenser Gion and has painted its hull in predominantly red hues to match the gauntlet of his hero Jukai Smist.
Feb 26, 2015 7:13 am
Ara Fyo is a Naive Jack who Carries a Quiver.

Ara grew up in rich Gurrai with Spax, and growing up together, they realized they shared different types of passions about the gigantic Defenser units. She was raised sheltered, although just recently her father sent her to the runners to try to remove her happy go lucky nature and general naivety of the world, to the horror of her mother Ergena Fyo. Although at first afraid of the giant machines which she previously admired, she has grown used to them, although something about them still makes her uneasy. Her older sister Miu also serves in the runners, so she is also happy to fight alongside her.

She is artsy, and her clothes, weapons, and Defenser are all painted with whimsical designs and unusual colors.

I know it's a little short so far, but right now the Internet is spazzing out here.
Mar 1, 2015 8:47 pm
Osiris Yesran is a Clever Jack Who Crafts Illusions.

"Those who play with the Devil's toys, will be brought by degrees to wield his sword."
- R.B. Fuller

"But his toys are just way too damn fun. I can't help myself."
- Osiris Yesran

Osiris is just over six and a half feet in height. His skin is a dark tan wherever it isn't covered by the swirling blue tattoos that crisscross his body. His black hair is completely shaved except for a thin beard on his chin. On the right side of his chest, in the same spot as the lettering on his plugsuit, the words "Ace 02" is tattooed in blue. Inside the cockpit, he wears a black, sleeveless plugsuit with a hood. Outside, he is generally shirtless, wearing only black jeans and boots. His Zorahi unit, Ace is taller and thinner than most Guardians. Ace is pitch black as a base color. She shares Osiris's blue swirling tattoos all across her body, with "Ace 02" marked up in bold blue across the right side of her chest.

Backstory coming soon. Backstory now here!

"Parents disappeared when I was a kid, but don't think that's an excuse to feel sorry for me or anything. I was too young for it to matter. I don't remember them. I'm a wanderer, always have been. Heh, as a matter of fact, my time as a Runner is the longest I've spent in the same place. Guess I'm not as much of a wanderer as I was. Anyway, I was able to feed myself as a performer. Paltry parlor tricks and such, rich people eat that stuff up. They're a sheltered lot. They don't see the messed up stuff we see outside. I made a decent chunk of change for a kid just messing around, and I got to see a lot of the inner city, something that most outer wall kids never had access to. To tell you the truth, it was boring, pretty, but boring. I eventually made my way back to the outer ring. Money goes a lot further out here than it does in there, but I still needed something to keep the hot meals coming, and I wasn't about to head back to the hive of cordial ass-kissing and naivety. So, I joined up with the Runners at the age of 16. If you had asked me five years ago if I had considered joining the Runners, I would have laughed in your face. Yet, here I am, just over four years in. I needed something to kill the boredom and the hunger in my stomach; this place does both. Plus, I'm protecting those outer wall runts like me. We rejects gotta stick together. This place has changed a lot in the last few years. They added all this discipline and structure, almost like they're gunna make it an actual army. When I showed up, they were scrambling for anybody they could get that was willing to go out there and fight these things. Probably didn't hurt that they had just lost a pilot two days before I came. Now, it's like we're a bunch of poster-boys for heroism or something. I even saw some middle ring kids out here looking to join up, maybe even an inner ring prince. Who'd a thought I'd actually end up in a position that could be considered respectable. It makes my skin crawl. Now I got a bunch of kids even younger than me to look out for. Take the two from the inner-ring, Ara and Spax. They're new around here, yeah, they know all about the Guardians and have always wanted to be Runners, etc. They are probably way better at this than me, but they haven't lived out here. They were on the inside where the sirens are nothing but a distant noise that causes an inconvenience. Out here, just about every time those sirens go off someone dies. I don't know if they're ready for that reality, but we'll see. Sofor, on the other hand, he has the look of someone who's seen some death. He's probably from the outer ring like me. The guy's got a killer instinct. That's a good thing to have out here. Darani, she joined just after me. We get along pretty well. She has the advantage of her telepathy. That's a big deal in combat. The Zorahi don't have communication systems other than hand signals. Someone has to be looking for the message in order to receive it. I've seen more than one guy get killed because he didn't see his buddy signaling that there was something behind him. So, every time we go out there, I like to keep an eye on her, because if she gets killed, we just lost our biggest asset for going home in one piece."
Mar 1, 2015 9:12 pm
I have to say that's pretty badass, Kenny. I'm imagining you and your defenser already.

Ara's pink flowery mech, Spax's OCD symmetrical mech, and Osiris's badass black mech with blue swirling tattoos. Just imagining those three in the hangar together gets me excited. Waiting on you, szemly!
Mar 1, 2015 9:23 pm
I need to work on an overall description of Hei still. Thinking a metallic dark blue for an overall color with yellow markings on each of his limbs (not tattoo-ish, more like striping of some sort). Couple of superficial battle-damage scars to the back that Sofőr keeps convincing maintenance not to patch up.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Maybe with a cool ancient symbol Sofőr once saw on each arm..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_Cz-NoUwAAqWaE.jpg:large
Mar 1, 2015 10:24 pm
I'm liking it a lot, reminds me a little bit for some reason of Gypsy Danger from Pacific Rim. (greatest movie on the planet).What about your plugsuit? Thanks to Kenny, they're dress code now.
Mar 1, 2015 11:22 pm
Let's see, let's go with the same color scheme for the plug suit, although it will be almost entirely blue. The exceptions being "Hei 05" across the front of the suit and "Zsoké" across the back in the same color yellow as the symbol above.

For those that don't know, the symbol above the number five in Chinese/Japanese. There's a reason I chose 5 as it's my favorite number for a couple of reasons:

1. My favorite hockey player wore number five. He is also from Sweden, which explains my color scheme.
2. Five is pronounced "Go" in Japanese. Go is one of my all time favorite games. You'll see the symbol above on almost all of Hikaru's clothes in the anime "Hikaru no Go".
Mar 1, 2015 11:30 pm
Huh, I used to play Go when I was little with my dad in Japan, I don't even remember the rules anymore though but I think i liked it. You try Shogi too? I've always been a little interested in it but have actually never played.
Mar 1, 2015 11:40 pm
Never played Shogi, same deal as you, always looked interesting, just never got around to playing it. It's on my long list of things to do. I used to play Go a lot more than I do now, was never really that strong at it (at my strongest I may have been about 7 or 8 kyu).
Mar 1, 2015 11:47 pm
Hey guys, I know I'm pretty bad as well, but can you create a thread or something in the OOC or Anime Chat threads? I'd like to keep this one for characters and they're details.
Mar 4, 2015 8:09 pm
So, I now have Osiris's backstory up rather than just a physical description.
Mar 4, 2015 8:28 pm
Nice Kenny!
Mar 8, 2015 5:50 pm
I just read your bio Kenny, it's pretty kickass. "Cordial ass kissing..." XD. But can you add a connection to an NPC and possibly a player? I like how you described them in Osiris's eyes, but how are you actually connected to all/one of them? Also, make up an NPC that Osiris knows.
Mar 8, 2015 7:08 pm
Additions to the bio to fill out connections.

NPC Connection

"James Raiden...When you got items you need acquired, money you need moved, or bodies you need hidden, this is the grinning motherf**ker you call. You put out a word, and he'll show up standing above your bed at an ungodly hour of the night. He'll crack a joke, laugh in your face for f**king up badly enough to need his help, then make it like your problem never even existed. He may even be a better magician than me. James was the closest thing I had to a childhood friend. We had cons going all over the outer-ring until I broke into the core with my tricks. We had each other's back. I pulled the cons, he picked the pockets, we split it down the middle and split up before the law came looking. Even now, I'm a runner, he's a fixer, but you'd be surprised how much we still lean on each other. I got enough sway to sweep his minor slip-ups under the rug, and he's always around to fulfill the 'special needs' that may arise when everything goes to shit. James is my brother, in ways that matter a hell of a lot more than blood."

OCC: I would like to clarify that James is a "fixer" in the shady dealings sense. He isn't an engineer who works on the Zorahi units.
Mar 10, 2015 1:31 pm
PC Connection
I don't really see that many ways that Osiris would be connected with the other PCs before being runners, but I came up with a few ideas.

Ara and Spax may have seen one of Osiris's shows when he was touring around the core. Maybe they remember him.

Osiris could have found Sofor in the outer-ring, maybe down on his luck. As a fellow street rat, Osiris may have taken a shining to him and brought him to the Runners to join up and share both free meals and free action.
Mar 10, 2015 9:38 pm
My thought was that Sofőr had joined the Runners as a way to right the wrongs he had committed against the citizens as his many years as a murderer for hire (wouldn't even classify him as a proper assassin). I imagine him as older than most of the other Runners who were young when they joined up. I do like having Osiris as his connection into the Runners though, perhaps Sofőr knew that Osiris was a Runner and stopped to talk to him after one of his performances.
Mar 10, 2015 11:01 pm
He hasn't performed since being a runner, and I didn't realize Sofor was that old. That probably makes him the oldest of the crew. Do you like the idea of Sofor's employment being a favor for Raiden (read the NPC thing I wrote above)? Maybe you went to him looking for a way into the Runners and he came to me.
Mar 10, 2015 11:33 pm
KennyGardnerIII says:
Do you like the idea of Sofor's employment being a favor for Raiden (read the NPC thing I wrote above)? Maybe you went to him looking for a way into the Runners and he came to me.
That'll work nicely!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.