Chapter 1: Sortie, Runners!

Mar 1, 2015 6:08 pm
God damn I'm stupid I tried to delete my first post but forgot that it deletes the entire thread...we'll have to redo it, although I remember the rolls everyone made. Dammit! Sorry everyone, this is what I mean when I say I'm new...I'll retype everything
Mar 1, 2015 6:09 pm
Actually can anyone maybe copy and paste the old thread's info here? I apologize profusely for my stupidity, I feel awful. If you can repost the old info here, but I am retyping.
Mar 1, 2015 6:36 pm
With a bang! you feel a powerful resonance under your feet. Monitors zigzag out of projectors and alight around the cortex, flashing unknown symbols, and levers and pedals extend out of the walls. You feel the tendril like synapses plug into the two holes in your neck. You're connected to the mind of the machine. [Spax listens for something, anything, but as usual only hears mental static that slowly fades away.]

The Type-12s stomp out of the hangar, and Commander Darani's red horned unit unbars a massive gate. As she steps aside and lets you pass through the gate, you hear her in your mind. ***"We've got three sluggies today. We all know they're damned slow, so this should be easy. Except if anyone is doing any out of cortex heroics today, please hit them in the red bulbs. Remember Zast, I had to pull you out of that thing's tentacles last time? It hurt the soul, buddy."*** Zast makes a rude gesture and punches Darani on the shoulder. Young, Darani is the commander because of her telepathy, she is foolhardy and talkative. The rest of you must communicate via hand signals and gestures. Darani 'talks' to fill the silence.

As you exit the city, the dead-skin like Amorphous Fields fills your monitors. Bubbling goop makes a misstep dangerous, and the ground has been known to crack. ***"Alright everyone, you know the drill. Be careful, and all that safety stuff."*** She lowers her arm to point at the slugs. The three yellow-brown gigantic slugs have multicolored mushrooms growing out of their shells, and glowing red bulbs cover their face, giving them a decorative air. Barbed tentacles grow out of their mouths and the backs of their shells.
***I yell, and we charge and decimate these things. Our usual plan."***
She 'yells' and raises a fist, and the Defensers pound across the fields to the slugs, making small, groundshaking leaps to avoid the goop. Did discipline die, or is it just Darani? The slugs grow larger in your monitors.

The slug on the left is the largest, it's tentacles almost whimsically floating behind it's shell, poised to shoot out. The slug in the middle is already distracted launching tentacles at Zast and Miu, but they seem to be doing a decent job of evading and parrying it's attacks so far. The right slug moves slower than the others, and seems slightly...sick. It is only moving forward.

What do you do? Roll initiative and state actions!
Mar 1, 2015 6:45 pm
Here's a condensed version of what I had before.

Sofőr throws Darani a salute and moves his Defenser into line with the others as the make their way towards the incoming slugs. "Look at the size of that monster, Hei", he says addressing his Zohari moving closer to the incoming threat. Catching the antics of Ara and Spax, Sofőr chuckles to himself, "Always so polite those two."

Once within range of the huge beast on the left, Sofőr reaches for the controls and has Hei transform his right hand into a huge serrated dagger. "Ready, Boy? Here we go...."

His initiative roll was 11 (and Sofőr is trained in Initiative).
His attack roll was 19, which gives him minor effect (take the extra damage, if that works.).
Mar 1, 2015 6:51 pm
(I will now post what I remember of your posts so we can continue as normal. Copy and paste them into your posts and then edit them if you wish)

Spax listens and sighs as he only hears Darani in his mind. "Still not talking, buddy? Don't worry, I'll wait." He pats a pile of thick cables next to him.

Leaving the bunker, he spots Ara's distinctive pink defenser and playfully bows, and then gestures towards the slugs in a 'ladies first' motion.

He leans into his controls, and Gion sets off. "I can't believe I'm finally a runner, Gion! I'm the happiest I've been in my entire life."

Initiative: 5

(Spax, you should take an action like the others)

Ara says: "You ready to go, Soniku? This should be easy." She leaves the city with the others and runs along the other Defensers. When they reach the slugs, she spots Spax and his motions. She waves her hands in a 'no thanks' motion, and lifts up a painted bow and taps herself with it with a ping. I'll shoot from back here, you play here today. Soniku lowers to one knee with a thump, and Ara looses an arrow at the middle slug distracted with Zast and Miu.

Initiative: 6
Arrow attack: 11

Zofor sees the antics of the young'uns and thinks Those two are always so affectionate. The fingers of his Defenser Hei snap together to become a dagger, and he attacks. (sorry, anything I missed? What slug did you attack?

Initiative: 11 trained
Dagger: 19
Mar 1, 2015 6:55 pm
Kaizival says:
Sofőr sees the antics of the young'uns and thinks Those two are always so affectionate. The fingers of his Defenser Hei snap together to become a dagger, and he attacks. (sorry, anything I missed? What slug did you attack?

Initiative: 11 trained
Dagger: 19
The big beast on the left.
Mar 1, 2015 7:50 pm
OCC: Flex skill for today is Perception

Osiris smiles, "Glad this place never gets boring." He draws his verred sword and slowly walks forward toward the slugs, waiting to see what they do.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Mar 1, 2015 7:51 pm
Initiative order
Sofor
Runners
Osiris
Ara
Slugs
Spax

Despite it being twice it's size, Hei leaps and plunges his razor sharp dagger hand into the left slug's (S1)throat before it can react.

The Runners attack the slugs with gusto. Taking advantage of Soför's speed, Darani sticks a spear into the slugs throat moments after he does. Miu manages to slash the slug in the middle with a sword while Herdin and Zast duck and weave around it's flying tentacles.

Osiris (OOC: can you name your Zorahi?) walks towards the slugs, almost inviting a challenge. The slug on the right slowly gazes at him with bloodred eyes, but makes no moves to attack and continues it's slow trip to the city.

Osiris, give me a perception roll.

Soniku's arrow flies, and hits the middle slug S2) in a soft part of it's shell. The arrow penetrates, and the usual brownish goop spills out.

The Sluggies: The big left slug S1 tries to fire it's barbed tentacles out of it's mouth, but instead burps out foul brown fluid out of it's mouth onto Hei and Darani's unit as it's stabbed in the throat twice (OOC: Yuck.). The middle slug S2 is slashed with a sword and hit with one of Ara's arrows, but is still very much alive. S2 fires it's mouth tentacles at Miu, and manages to knock part of her shoulder armor off and push her back. It's tail tentacles weave and spin through the air as they fly towards Soniku.

Ara, give me a speed defense roll.

The slug on the right S3sways a bit, but pays no mind to the defensers or Osiris and continues to slime it's way toward the city.

Spax watches the battle, waiting for an opening.

Next round, actions?
Mar 1, 2015 8:20 pm
Osiris joins in the stair down with the lone slug (S2). "Alright Ace, let's take this nice and slow. He's not going anywhere fast." Osiris slowly begins approaching the slug, examining it closely as he moves. "What are you hiding underneath all that slime?"

Rolls

Perception (Trained) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Mar 1, 2015 8:26 pm
I tense as the tentacles fly towards me. "Soniku, we've trained for this. I'm ready, I'm ready..." She pulls back on a lever while hitting a pedal and thinking "MOVE!" at the last moment, and hopes that she was fast enough.

If I manage to dodge, I'll try to whip out my dagger and slice slice those damn tentacles as they go by me.

(ooh: JUST WOW. It'd only have been better if the second roll was a one.)

Rolls

Dodge tentacles - (1d20)

(1) = 1

cut tentacles - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Mar 1, 2015 8:49 pm
Spax watches in awe as the event unfolds in front of him. The whine of the Defensers metallic and synth bodies plunging into the fray mixes with the wet, sloppy squishes coming from the slugs.

An arrow flies expertly from Ara's giant bow and pierces the monstrosity she was aiming at, he smiles proudly remembering how good Ara was at games of aiming and hitting targets that they played as kids. His warm memories swiftly change as he watches in horror as some of the slugs tentacles reach out toward her Defenser. Ara doesn't look like she's going to make it and Spax pushes Gion to intercept the enemies attacks.

OOC: Moving in front of Soniku with my blade gauntlet raised to block the slugs attack. Rolling Speed defense and adding one level of Effort.

Rolls

Block - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Mar 1, 2015 8:59 pm
(boom, pm incoming Osiris!)

While I wait for the others, I'll detail your anoetic Magnetic Drag 'whistler' cypher that is attached to your beautiful plug suits. You are all trained in their use. They can be used twice unlike most cyphers.

Magnetic Drag
Level: 6
Wearable: glove attached to hand of plugsuit.
Usable: Fires a magnetic cable
'Whistler' equipment is called so because of the 'whistling' sound that is heard when it pull runners along the cable. Their use is simple: Point at a metallic object, and you'll go flying to it, even if it's above you, like a Defenser. Runners use these to quickly mount other Defensers.

A note on Whistler use in conjunction with climbing Type-12 Zorahis:
Because of their unorthodox and uneven armor plating, Type-12s have good handholds and footholds and are easy to climb (or as easy as climbing a giant robot gets). So Type-12s are good runner platforms when runners aren't in their own.
Mar 1, 2015 9:05 pm
"Nicely done, Commander!" Sofőr grins as he see Darani's spear plunge into the giant slugs throat. Pulling back Hei shudders as he withdrawals the blade from the slug's throat and reaches back to attack once again. "Right across the throat this time, Hei!!"

Boom! Extra damage again, please.

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Mar 1, 2015 9:06 pm
Reacting to info gained from perception check.

"Well, you're certainly an interesting one. I don't like this. You're different than the others, that makes you dangerous. Unluckily for you, so am I."

Ace now stands between the slug (S2) and the city. Osiris and Ace's tattoos begin to glow, ripping the fabric of reality at the seems. There is a flash of blue light, the sound of thunder, and now there are two Aces standing shoulder-to-shoulder between the slug and the city. Osiris casts Minor Illusion, spending (1) point from his intellect pool.

"Alright Ace, one last look before we go. Then you can tear him apart."

Rolls

Identify (Danger) (Trained) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Mar 1, 2015 9:15 pm
OCC: Hey, since I had the crit, can I go with the minor effect of my illusion having a special quality? Namely, can the "cube" the illusion has to stay within move with me while the illusion lasts?
Mar 1, 2015 10:09 pm
(OOC: Holy hell, a 1, a 2, and two 20s. Fate has a hand in this somewhere.)

Hei pulls back it's arm for a final strike, and cuts through the slug's neck and decapitates it. Hei is going to need a long wash when it returns.

The Runners are beginning to notice the slug on the right, although some still fight the slug in the middle. Zast chops off some of S2's tentacles, and Miu tries to get in another hit, but can't find an opening. Darani offers Soför a high five, then shies back. ***"I'm not touching you now.***

Both Aces stand in front of the slowly advancing slug S3. (yes, this once you can have the minor affect for your illusion, but usually it doesn't work like that as Identify is totally different from illusions)

Soniku's foot sinks into a pool of bubbling muck as she tries to duck. To Ara:

You feel Soniku's foot slip into something as you try to duck, and moments later, tremendous pounding wracks you and Soniku. Above you, below you, to your right...you feel impacts everywhere...the walls around you begin to dent...the monitors fizzle... You feel Soniku's leg squish out of the pool, and feel a [i]thump! as she falls on her back.[/i]

Soniku falls to the ground as tentacles pound away at her hull, although so far the armor is holding. (Soniku is taking damage, but like I said on the Mecha Rules thread you'll have to guess how much)

The Slugs: Slug S1's head falls off, and slowly but surely the slug falls on Darani. ***"I'm okay, I'm okay, shoulda been more careful, don't tell Zast..."*** Darani's Zorahi tries to push the giant slug off and is unharmed.
Slug S2 fights Miu, Zast, and Herdin with it's mouth tentacles, but also rains it's tentacles down on fallen Soniku. Suddenly, it looks dazed, as if it had been hit by something, although it continues attacking.
Slug S3 stops and stares at the two Aces. Only Osiris notices it burps out a red chunk of something, and out of that chunk a small polyp appears and shoots off like a dart into the middle slug S2's neck. Then it waits impassively for the Aces to act.

Gion rushes towards Soniku, and anxious to save his friend, Spax cuts the attacking tentacles away from the battered Soniku.
(Skydut, I didn't let you block the attack because you were after the slugs in initiative, however I did let you rescue Soniku from the battering thanks to your good roll. Also remember that if you are blocking, it's a Might defense check, as you aren't dodging the attack.)

To everyone: I'm going easy on everyone now with their rolls and what you use them for, but that won't last long. Now, time for actions again everyone.
Mar 1, 2015 10:51 pm
(OCC: Just realized I was listing the wrong slug for my stuff; replace S2 with S3 in all the previous posts.)

Osiris sends a signal to the Zorahi fighting S2, "Watch out! Unidentified slug-thing incoming!"

The Aces both raise their verreds and move in to attack either side of the slug (S3), attempting to circumvent its defenses with a mirrored dance of death.
(OCC: Do I get to reduce the difficulty because of the illusion?)

Rolls

Attack With Verred - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Mar 1, 2015 11:00 pm
Satisfied that a decapitated slug poses no threat, Sofőr maneuvers a goo-encrusted Hei towards the slug to his immediate right (S2). Seeing Soniku down Sofőr has Hei lunge forward and makes an overhand stab at the attacking slug.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Mar 1, 2015 11:26 pm
My breathing gets faster and faster as Soniku takes more damage, then silence. The monitors regain clarity and I see Gion standing above me with an outstretched hand. I take it and pull myself up, and then nod in thanks to Spax. I'm still shaken.
I examine Soniku, (what do I see?) and as Sofor seems to be cleaning up the two slugs, I turn towards S3 and see the two Aces. It always creeps me out when Osiris does that, it's like there's two giant ghosts. With a deep breath, I pick up my bow and take aim at the demented slug.

Rolls

shoot at Slug S3-intellect effort for 3 damage - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Mar 1, 2015 11:27 pm
Gion rushes forward, but a second too late, the tentacles reach out toward Soniku and Ara inside with alarming speed, especially from something so inherently slow. "No! Ara!" Spax yells inside his Defensers hull. Almost as if Gion understood the mechanic humanoid springs forward with an extra burst of speed. Each footfall churns up the ground beneath.

(OOC: Sorry, I thought it would be Speed Defense to get there in time. I was fully ready to take the punishment from the slug to protect Ara. But being lower on the Initiative track, it makes sense that I didn't get there before the tentacles. As for my major effect... How about this?)

The gigantic gauntlet on Gion's right forearm splits in two with a mechanical whoosh and from inside a three-meter long, two-meter wide blade of synth-steel stabs forward cutting the air with a hiss. The gauntlet closing on top again as the blade fully extends into the air makes hollow "SHUNP!"

Spax maneuvers inside Gion's hull and brings his arm across in a wide arc, immediately the cogs, cables, and electronics transfer Spax's movements to Gion and the Defensers arm bearing the gigantic blade slices into the tentacles attacking Ara's Defenser Soniku. The blade easily slices the myriad of slimed tentacles with a single strike. The damaged tentacles retract almost as fast as they had attacked, each trailing a thin line of brown goop from the severed ends.

Spax maneuvers Gion to assist Soniku in getting up then gestures to gently take her bow. Gion kneels with the bow held over his head effectively becoming the base of a siege weapon. Giving Soniku the chance to pull back with both hands to fire. (OOC: I'm thinking +2 to attack and +2 damage!)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.