For starters...

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 5, 2015 5:35 pm
Hey guys and/or gals!

I'm Sean, the dude who will be DMing this crazy thing. Just to kick things off, this topic is for us to throw around character ideas for back story, race and class. Please feel free to play any race in the core rulebook or the twygzog from the 13th Age Bestiary and any class from either the core book or 13 True Ways. Since the target audience for this game is beginners, my recommendation is to simply start with the core rulebook stuff, just because it's easier to get a feel for the game. If you feel like you want to tackle something bigger, more power to you! I don't have any ideas for a story, and to be honest, I won't until we have a full group. 13th Age is supposed to be about the characters, so if I don't know who your characters are, well, that makes for a story your character may or may not be interested in. So again, we can use this topic for discussing rules and character building. One last thing, I prefer point buy system for stat creation just because i feel it's fair to everyone, so please, use that.
Apr 5, 2015 6:26 pm
I've been looking forward to trying this system for a while now so thanks for taking the time to put this together. I'll put some time into going through the character creation process in the next day or two and see what I can come up with.
Apr 5, 2015 8:54 pm
Thinking of playing a gnome sorcerer who has 2 point positive relationship with the high druid and 1 point conflicted relationship with the priestess.

Question: When selecting feats I can pick from any of the appropriate tables (general, race, class), correct?
Apr 5, 2015 9:01 pm
yup, you only get 1 adventurer feat (labeled A) though beause lvl 1. you can choose feats for some of you spells, talents and class features too (purple text under said abilities).
Apr 6, 2015 8:55 pm
Here's a quick chart to help others select a class:

http://www.pelgranepress.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Flowchart.jpg
Last edited April 6, 2015 8:56 pm
Apr 6, 2015 9:37 pm
i just saw this on 13th Age's facebook page! wayy too funny
Apr 6, 2015 9:49 pm
I rolled up a gnome ranger - a two-hammer wielding, church sanctioned, holy bounty hunter with an awesome mustache. I'll need some time to figure out the Icon Relationships thingies, and to finalize the wording of my Unique Thing, but I'll upload a character sheet later tonight.
Apr 6, 2015 10:10 pm
Attack of the Gnomes so far. I'm liking it!
Apr 6, 2015 11:50 pm
Icon relationships basically help you to build a back story and root your characters into the Dragon Empire. You get 1d6 per Icon Relationship point that we roll at the beginning of each "session" (which is gonna be weird in a play-by-post). Its purpose is kind of like a "get out of jail" card... or at least that's how my players use them in my regular games. I would like to see it used differently though, because in the book it basically encourages people to use them as things that propel the story in one way or another, they're story dice if you will. So for example, if your icon relationships are a +1 with the High Druid, -1 with the Diabolist and a +/- (conflicted) with the Emperor, there should be a story behind as to why those relationship points are positive, negative or conflicted. Then at the start of the session, you roll 1d6 for the high druid, then 1d6 for the diabolist, and then 1d6 for the emperor, but the roll is only important if you get a 5 or a 6. A 5 means that something good happens in the story for the party/character but with a consequence, a 6 means something good happens with no draw back. What it is that happens as a result of cashing in the relationship point during the "session" (I think we'll roll these at story appropriate times) has to be story relevant to what your relationship with that Icon is and why that relationship causes such events to happen. It's a little confusing but sometimes it makes for really interesting events in the story!
Apr 7, 2015 1:08 am
That sounds cool. Edge of the Empire has a similar mechanic for 'inflicting' the backstory of one character on the party. For example, you might have a "Debt" and if the roll comes up, then the lenders come looking for their stuff.
Apr 7, 2015 1:23 am
I've submitted my first draft of the ranger, Binleeargo Jemop. I randomly rolled the 3 icon points, and I'll have to research somewhere on the net to find the appropriate foils, er, icons. Once I figure those out, I'll flesh that part of the character sheet out.
Apr 7, 2015 10:20 am
looks great! only thing is your PD is off. middle mod of str con dex in numerical order, yours is 2 onstead of 3. other than that, it's perfect, i love your OUT
Apr 7, 2015 1:20 pm
The PD is auto-calculated, so I'll ask Keleth to look into it.
Apr 7, 2015 11:20 pm
Apró Bot has entered the game. A Gnome Sorcerer, Apró is accompanied by Macska, his white cat familiar.
Last edited April 8, 2015 11:43 pm
Apr 8, 2015 12:58 am
AAHH Awesome! Thanks for adding me in. I'm staying with the Gnome theme and working on Tanser Podane - Rogue.

Hitting a snag though. Not sure what to do. Every time I click Add in the Abilities/Powers field a little window pops up under the heading saying there is a Fatal Error. I can't proceed after that. Maybe it's me. Has anyone experienced this? I'm sorry if it's already been addressed.
Apr 8, 2015 1:15 am
bonzailopper says:
AAHH Awesome! Thanks for adding me in. I'm staying with the Gnome theme and working on Tanser Podane - Rogue.
Cool! I brought up the issue with the character sheet and I'm sure Keleth is working away on it.
Apr 8, 2015 1:48 am
this is hilarious. don't forget to add your Gnome racial powers guys! maybe you should all make a collective backstory as to why you know each other.
Apr 8, 2015 2:02 am
Maybe we're part of a gnomish diaspora. Our homeland or city or village became "a bad place" or "burned down" and we survived by fleeing. We may rev recognize each other by some shared cultural trait, like an armband or hair jewel, or actually know each other by having met during the flight.
Apr 8, 2015 2:09 am
I like the cultural trait idea, maybe we don't know each other directly, but can easily identify each other as 'belonging' somehow.

What about the "One Unique Things"? I put that Apró can test other peoples feelings. Not really a useful ability, but something I can have fun with.
Last edited April 8, 2015 8:36 pm
Apr 8, 2015 4:26 am
Could also be a tattoo or birthmark common among our people?
load next

Thread locked