An Unlikely Companionship

Apr 20, 2015 10:22 am
Living in the wake of a natural disaster is hard, even for the little magic folk of Candleton, a small gnome settlement that exists (or once existed) on the swampy borders of the Knee Deep. The name Candleton comes from the big folk, who only see little lights dancing around near the edge of the swamp that no one dares enter. Outside of that, nobody knows what it's called except for the people that live there. Most who live there never leave, but in this case, they didn't have much choice unless theydidn't value their lives.

The thunder storm of tonight reminds you of that ungodly evening, hell raining down from the sky in the form of electrical mayhem. The ground shook beneath your feet as you gathered your belongings to save your skin, hovels burning as you ran with the rain whipping your face and eyes. Thankfully you didn't have to run for too long, considering the folk outside that gave your town that funny human name, were about a half a days trip from your once cozy little community. You have been living in Rockdrift for a few months now, settling in quite nicely indeed. Apró, your tongue sours on this night, knowing that many of the gnomes you once lived with share your sadness tonight, though none you personally know seem to have turned up in this large strange town. To you, it's also a little confusing why they call it Rockdrift, considering it seems a little woodsy rather than rocky. The screams of an unhappy child bring you back to the present, remembering that you forgot to lull little Edward Ramsal to sleep, just like Isabella had asked you. The coin is good, the bedding is warm and the food keeps you fat, happy and your mind off the paw, so you prbably doon't mind much. However, tonight, you just want to be left alone.

The rest of you may describe what you are up to on this lonesome and dreary night. Jade, i'm not sure what your character's name is (Hi would be funny though) so introduce her and tell me why you've come to Rockdrift/what you are doing.
Apr 21, 2015 1:24 pm
Binlee stopped at a certain part of the road, bade his companion stay put, and edged into the woods. Climbing carefully up an old, strange hump in the woods, he could see Rockdrift through a break in the branches. He always stopped here, and enjoyed the view. He tamped leaf into his pipe and expertly lit it, the initial cloud of smoke rising ritualistically above his head. It wasn't much of a view at night, but he could see light from some of the homes, and could tell that the town wasn't on fire.

Returning to the road, he nodded at his cold companion, a young gnome woman named Hannion whom he had rescued from some unwholesome trappers. She had been in their service since fleeing Candleton, and had been all to happy to come with him when he offered to buy her "contract" from the trappers, using up nearly all of his coin to do so. One day he'd have to return to them and see about dispensing his own justice, but even at the thought, he signed a wiping motion across his eyes and whispered a devotion asking forgiveness from Sejorlia. Justice wasn't for him to decide, only to enact. He offered his arm to Hannion, but she walked on her own, and they continued to Rockdrift.

"It'll be only an hour from here, m'lady, and then you'll be free to start your life over. There are several who will want to take you in," Binlee said.

"And you? Will you stay, m'lord?" she all but whispered.

"Only long enough to get you settled, m'lady. I'm afeared that there are many of us still out there, lost in the flight from the swamp," he said, pausing to puff on his pipe, "and justice always needs dispensing."
Last edited April 21, 2015 1:26 pm
Apr 22, 2015 2:32 pm
A swig from my flask brings warmth as the rain leaks through the abandoned shack's rotted roof that I've made my base of oper-.....my home here in Rockdrift for the time being. I prefer the leaks. It reminds that I won't be staying here long. This is temporary... There's too many interesting places to see and interesting things to... experience.

Thoughts of my next move start swirling in my head...then memories of a job...an important job for the Prince...Why can't I remember?....

Footsteps.....Throwing knife in hand...No one knows I'm here... some vengeful merchant who got lucky? I was careful...I'm always careful....

As the footsteps fade I realize it's the thrill of the moment that drives me to take these jobs. Not the inevitable fear and paranoia that results from laying low...wondering if or when they will come for me...Yeah I could do without that mess.

A big swig this time.... I check the hidey-hole under the pile of rags and hay that I use for a bed...The Statue is still there. I wonder what makes it so valuable to her? She didn't even try and talk me down from my fee. Crazy times.. it's no matter...It'll be done with tomorrow.
Apr 26, 2015 3:43 am
Bog stood in the alley, face lifted to the sky. The rain pouring over him mixed with the grime and left muddy rivulets running over his boots. But while it never fully washed away the dirt, it did serve to hide the tears that were flowing freely from his eyes. Oh, Elana - if only you were still here. He stood that way for a few more minutes then sniffed loudly and shook his head, adding more droplets to the downpour. He moved into a doorway and dried his face as best he could.

Having composed himself, he sniffed again, this time drawing in the familiar smell of earth and rain. He wasn't quite home yet, but Rockdrift made for a safe haven to weather the storm. As soon as it cleared, he would finish his journey and maybe find some peace. As he stood there, he contemplated all he had seen that evening and pondered the reason why there were so many other gnomes here this night.
May 3, 2015 4:30 pm
You all spend the rest of your night doing as you see fit before catching rest in whatever hovels or homes you have been residing in for the past couple months following the disaster. By morning, there is little evidence of the storm from the night before, merely little pools of water that haven't escaped the cracks between the cobblestones. The soil has been thirsty, for the summer has been been oddly dry for Rockdrift. As the sun creeps up past the roof tops of the little town, the folk that reside within begin to awaken and start their daily routine. What part do the gnomes of Candleton play in the daily hustle and bustle?
May 4, 2015 10:24 pm
Bog stared up at the ceiling of the room he had procured the night before. He had paid far too much for it, but it was oddly one of the few rooms available, so he hadn't objected too heavily. As he lay there, his mind tried to rationalize his experience here in Rockdrift. He had spent the past several weeks traveling home to Candleton from Queen's Wood, and finding Rockdrift full of gnomefolk was the last thing he had expected. Deciding he might think better with a full stomach, he rose and got dressed before heading to the eating area.

As he entered, he was taken aback by how busy it was. He stood just inside in the doorway for a few moments, taking it all in, before weaving his way through the people. He felt someone bump into him and heard a low curse. He spun, just in time to catch a stack of plates that the barmaid had dropped. She had an exasperated look on her face as she apologized and thanked him in the same breath. Waving that aside, he offered his help and carried the plates toward the kitchen.

The kitchen was just as busy, but the hustle and bustle was far more organized. He set the stack on an empty space on the counter, and turned to the barmaid who had followed him in, "What's going on around here? I've been gone for quite some time, but I've never seen this many gnomes in Rockdrift!"
May 4, 2015 11:39 pm
Now able to take a better look at her you see she's a half-elf. Her sandy brown hair reaches down towards her waist and is perfectly straight, catches the light rather nicely to reveal shades of red and even gold too. Her face turns from thankful to rather annoyed at seeing the dirt on your hands, she quickly takes the plates you laid down to the sink. As you see her face calculating her response, sadness creeps into her expression.

"I'm sorry to inform you, but Candleton is no more. The story of exactly what happened is a mystery to me, to be honest. Some say it was brought to the ground by the wrath of a storm giant, some say orcs sacked it, others say the Diabolist herself came and brought hell fire down upon all those poor gnomes. It's tragic, no matter what the actual occurrence. All these little folk now have no place to go, and to be true, I don't think that Rockdrift is wealthy enough to support such a large increase in population in such a short time. The people here will grow impatient and cruel in swifter time than I would like, humans are too vain for compassion toward any but their own. The past two months have worn the townsfolk down and they grow bitter. If you don't mind me asking, where are you coming from? If you've been gone for so long, then it must have been on business that holds at least minor importance."

Her expression is smooth as stone as she washes the plates, asking you shamelessly of your tidings. You hear the rabble increase from the common room.
May 5, 2015 3:03 pm
His eyes turning side to side with the movements in the tavern crowd, Binleeargo munches on a human biscuit (human made not made of humans he thinks to himself with twinkling eyes). He notes the displeased looks from some of the humans at the gnomish tavern-goers, and more than once, a gnome is bumped with hardly a 'didn't see ya'. Still, the people of Rockdrift have made theirs homes and stores available, and the Candleton gnomes are lucky to have such neighbors.

He hisses a laugh at Geron's sudden innuendo, trying not to spray biscuits into his drink. The mirth of the guards of Rockdrift is most welcome. Binlee had always mistaken the reticence of the human priests as being a racial flaw, and most welcomed the outrageous lengths that regular humans seemed to go for a joke.

Among the mob, he sees several unfamiliar gnomes. This both pleases and worries him. His eyes twinkle a bit more as he thinks maybe these human biscuits are turning me into one of them - I'm certainly worrying more than I used to.
May 5, 2015 3:51 pm
There is a bit of a spring in Tanser's step this morning as he makes his way to the Tavern he agreed to meet the "Client" to hand over the statue.

"10 gold'll go a long way" He thinks to himself as he trudges along the street to the tavern

"I'll get my money then get some breakfast."

He thought to arrive early to case the joint but someone is already sitting in the booth he was supposed to go to...a cloaked and hooded someone.

Tanser shakes his head "Always with these damned hooded cloaks." He makes his way through the already crowded tavern, plops down across from the individual and looks to call over a server to place his breakfast order. Maybe try one of these 'human biscuits' he's heard of...Oh and get a refill on his flask..."Hmph, I don't remember finishing that last night."
May 5, 2015 10:06 pm
Edward's screams jar Apró from his slumber. "Wouldn't be morning without one of Ed's fits." he mumbles to himself as he slides out of bed to check on the little one. Lumbering down the hall Apró shakes his head as he ponders his current situation, "The Ramsals have been very good to me but asking me to look after this one may just be more than I can handle. He is a cute little feller though."

Ed's eyes widen and a slight smile works its way onto his face as he sees Apró enter the nursery. But only for an instance as he quickly reverts back to his usual morning routine of screaming and crying. "Morning little guy", Apró says as he approaches the crib. "So what will it be this morning, Edward? Perhaps 'the usual'?" and with a snap of Apró's fingers a dancing yellow orb appears just out of Ed's reach. Satisfied that his little trick will keep the young Ramsal occupied for a while Apró turns to return to his room to find Isabella standing in the doorway.

"Good Morning, Apró. I take 'the usual' was called for once again?"

"Good Morning, Ma'am. Yes, Ma'am, it seems to be the only thing that will keep him calm in the morning anymore."

"I am starting to worry about my little Eddie. These episodes seem to be getting worse, don't you think?"

"Yes, Ma'am, I do. My tricks aren't holding him over as long as they used to, but I'm obviously not an expert on human children. Perhaps a trip to the healer might be in order?"

"Yes, as much as I hate dealing with that man, I think you're correct. I'll have Juliska set something up right away." As she's about to exit the room she quickly turns back to Apró, "Thank you once again for taking on the extra task of looking after Edward. With Mora's departure we needed someone that we could trust to fill her role. We'll find a permanent replacement as soon as we can."

"Not a problem, Ma'am. The little guy is starting to grow on me."

As Apró heads back to his room to clean up and prepare for his day the thought of having breakfast down at the tavern enters his mind. "I think I'll try some of those human biscuits this time around..."
May 7, 2015 12:28 pm
Bog slumped against the counter in shock, "Candleton is gone?" Most of what she then said was heard through numb ears, but he gathered himself as best as he could before replying, "You're right. Rockdrift isn't enough for both the gnomes and humans. But perhaps if everyone had something to do other than just sitting around....Do you know of anyone who might have a better idea of what happened?"

"And to answer your question, my absence was of minor importance to many, and more than minor to some....I left Candleton several years ago much younger and more foolish. I sought adventure and riches and found something much more valuable instead." A wistful expression swept over his face, "I had heard rumor that a relative of the Elf Queen had disappeared, and she was offering a reward for whoever could find out what happened. To make a very long story brief, I found Elana, who as you probably know is, er was, the Queen's niece, and we returned to Queen's Wood. Elana took a fancy to me, and I've been there ever since. At least, until her passing."

He took a deep breath and looked around the cluttered kitchen. "May I be of any assistance?"
May 17, 2015 1:59 pm
Tanser

The hooded figure is wordless as you sit and order your meal and drink. You sit in a bit of an awkward silence for what seems like an eternity until the hooded figure pulls out a rolled piece of parchment held with a black piece of ribbon and a red wax seal. As the parchment slides out of the long sleeve of his cloak, you see the hand is red and has something akin to claws. Seeing this strikes you with a bit of fear, but you've learned very well to not show it.

Binleeargo

The gnomes you see are ragged, you're guessing they've been on the road for a while. Then you see it, they bear the mark, they're one of you. It's apparent that they lost their way after the disaster or simply didn't travel to Rockdrift often enough to find it. You feel something akin to pity for them, remembering what it was like when you first came to the town. Geron's boisterous laughter brings you back into the mood of the tavern. The other guards at the table laughing with him, you see that he had smeared some butter in the beard of the guard sitting across the table from him, looking rather displeased. The scene makes you chuckle but something in your stomach makes it a little less pleasing than it would have been when the unhappy guard stands and walks out the door. If you would like to scan the room and pick out Tanser and the shady character in the corner, please roll a perception check (Wis+lvl).

Bog

The half-elf bar maid winces when you mention the passing of Elana, even for a half-elf it had a large impact among the elves as a race. Except those damned drow, you would wear they had a spider in their chests instead of a heart. The maid's thoughts visibly come back to the present as she looks around the kitchen. She says, "No, that won't be necessary," again looking at your dirty hands, "I should get back to serving and I can't have you in the kitchen, please proceed." She motions towards the door with an elf-like grace. Pushing through the door, you see that a guard is laughing hysterically, thus being the more boisterous behavior. It's not immediately apparent why but you do feel some slight tension in the room. The half-elf scans the room quickly and says, "Ah! another gnome from Candleton is here, perhaps you would like to meet him?" She motions towards a table where a little gnome is sitting looking around patiently with a white cat sitting under his chair. She starts walking over before you respond, do you follow? You can also looks for Tanser if you'd like.

Apró

The town is alive as you make your way to the usual place, The Savoring Stone Giant. Easily the best place in town, the bread is perfect, the ale is thick and the severs are more than personable. As you reach for the door, it bursts open and knocks into you as Willam walks out, looking rather angry. No big surprise there though, he's always angry because of Geron's little jests. He's always telling Willam to "lighten up", though you're not entirely sure if that'll ever happen. You take your seat and await to be served. It's oddly long before Lyanna, the half-elf bar maid comes to take care of you. The same roll goes for you in regards to Tanser.
May 17, 2015 3:34 pm
SClark617 says:
The gnomes you see are ragged, you're guessing they've been on the road for a while. Then you see it, they bear the mark, they're one of you. It's apparent that they lost their way after the disaster or simply didn't travel to Rockdrift often enough to find it. You feel something akin to pity for them, remembering what it was like when you first came to the town. If you would like to scan the room and pick out Tanser and the shady character in the corner, please roll a perception check (Wis+lvl).
Binleeargo watches the unhappy guard leave with some mirth, but he doesn't really understand why the guard is unhappy. It was a crude but funny joke, and his beard wasn't anywhere near as magnificent as Binlee's. He strokes his beard, chest puffed slightly, and pride shining on his face.

Turning to the new faces in the crowed, he mutters aloud "These lost gnomes should be welcomed, but that's not my job, is it?" Maybe they know of others out there, have heard stories. "No rest for the unbuttered!" he exclaims and claps Geron on the shoulder, smiling broadly at the other guards. He begins to seek out the ragged gnomes, ostensibly making sure that they go to the gnomish Elder Council to seek lodging, and sparing some of his dwindling coin for biscuits for the hungriest of them. He asks if they have any missing family or friends, or know of any others out there that may not have made their way home yet. He leaves them with the thought that if the Elder Council doesn't know where they are, to let Binleeargo Jemop know. Finding lost gnomes is his self-appointed job.

Rolls

1d20+wis+lvl, spot Tanser - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

May 17, 2015 4:14 pm
The gnomes look a little scared at your approach. Your swagger puts them a little on guard. "We simply seek lodging for the night and a meal until we carry on our journey. We head for Axis and we recommend you do the same. More is at hand than what it seems, and the Emperor must know. I give you my thanks for the coin, friend." The last sentence sounds a touch less than genuine. You have the intuition that they're simply wary due to some horrible experience they had on the road and don't take it to heart. Your focus shifts when you see behind the gnome you are speaking to. You see anther gnome huddled in the table corner with a less than ideal looking character. Outstretched is his arm toward the gnome with a roll of parchment, you see all the details previously mentioned all too well, your stomach turns at the sight. Something is not right here.
May 17, 2015 4:24 pm
Binleeargo will wish the gnomes well on their journey. "We are overcrowding Rockdrift, and if we can find a more suitable home, then, well, our futures would be brighter. Send word to us if you find a solution, and perhaps we will send the Elder Council to beseech the Emperor." He puzzles over the words "more is at hand than what it seems" but is distracted by the clawed hand. "Travel well, my friends," he says warmly, and then heads over to the cornered gnome.
May 17, 2015 4:53 pm
As Apró sits and awaits service he stretches and rubs his shoulder a bit trying to take the sting out from where the door greeted him on the way in. "When will that Willam learn to not let Geron get to him like that. Not only is it bad for his health, it's starting to get bad for mine." Scanning the room to see where all of the servers might have gone he blindly reaches into his pouch and retrieves a treat for Macska who immediately pounces onto his lap and gingerly snaps it from his hand. "That's my girl. Keep a watch on the entrance for me and let me know if someone out of place shows up, would you?" Macska purrs and returns to her position under the chair. "Not like them to keep me waiting like this, must be a particularly busy morning for them."

Finally he see Lyanna approaching and with a big smile and a wave greets her, "Morning, Lyanna! Good to see you."
Last edited May 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Rolls

Spot Tanser - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

May 17, 2015 6:35 pm
Bog stayed close to Lyanna as she moved toward the gnome with the white cat. Even in her wake he had to nimbly dodge the 'giants' as they failed to notice him. He watched their faces and saw that while a few genuinely didn't see him, there were others who were well aware of his presence as they tried walking over him. The subtle hostility jarred him more than anything else.

Once they arrived, he pulled out the chair opposite the gnome and introduced himself, "I hope this fair morning finds you well. You look familiar to me, but the years away from Candleton have blurred my memory. I am Bog Dythure. May I join you? I would be willing to pay for your meal in exchange for some friendly company and some answers, for I just learned of Candleton's destruction, and it leaves me quite confused and distressed!"
May 18, 2015 1:30 am
Motioning for Bog to join him, Apró lowers his gaze as he slowly shakes his head. "I'm sorry that you've just learned of our town's destruction. It was... it was just an awful night." He pauses as he tries to regain his composure and then continues, "During the destruction and panic of that night I was unable to locate any of my friends. As I searched it did appear that at least a few were able to gather some of their belongings and flee. Others weren't so lucky..."

He goes silent as the reliving of that night takes its toll.

After a few awkward moments, Apró looks up at Bog and tries to change the tone of the conversation, "Apologies, friend, I've yet to properly introduce myself." Extending his hand towards Bog he says, "My name is Apró Bot. It would be an honor to share a meal with you."
May 18, 2015 2:08 am
SClark617 says:
Tanser

The hooded figure is wordless as you sit and order your meal and drink. You sit in a bit of an awkward silence for what seems like an eternity until the hooded figure pulls out a rolled piece of parchment held with a black piece of ribbon and a red wax seal. As the parchment slides out of the long sleeve of his cloak, you see the hand is red and has something akin to claws. Seeing this strikes you with a bit of fear, but you've learned very well to not show it.
Tanser thinks to himself 'Hmmm I don't remember her hands that way'. He slowly removes the statue from his satchel and puts it on the table still wrapped in the cloth he's hid it in. Reaching for the parchment he says...

"So... umm ... are you ok? It seems your hands look different from the first time we met....uh, also, is my gold in that parchment as well?" I look at the wax seal to see if there are any impressions.
May 18, 2015 10:21 am
Tanser

The wax seal has a symbol that you are not familiar with. You hear heavy footsteps in your direction, you look instinctively and see a gnome with an oddly fantastic beard walking toward you. When you look back to your "customer," it is gone. The roll of parchment is on the table in front of you next to the statue.

Binleeargo
You start advancing, though it's not easy. Just when you think you're in earshot, someone walks in front of you bumping you back a step or so and when they pass, the figure is gone and just the gnome is left at his table.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.