Metagame Discussion

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jun 14, 2015 3:45 pm
Sorry for the wall of text...just trying to explain the issues. And I'm happy to do so for new players. I tend to be verbose when trying to teach...my wife says I can be a little to long winded.

On more note...on "The Four Outcomes" I said those were more my responsibility to deal with. While that is true, you players are more than welcome to make suggestions. In the case of taking Stress and Consequences you get to decide for yourself how that affects your character. In all other cases you can suggest what an Outcome looks narratively. In the case of a tie you usually have the option to "succeed at a cost" and can describe how you suffer a small setback while still accomplishing your goal.
Jun 14, 2015 4:19 pm
No need to apologize for the walls of text, I am quite enjoying them, and yes it is all becoming clearer to me :-) I'm just glad you are being so patient with me here.
Jun 15, 2015 2:28 am
I know that chocokiko bowed out, but it has been awhile since we heard from Amalthea and THEMeeple.
Jun 15, 2015 2:46 am
Qralloq says:
I know that chocokiko bowed out, but it has been awhile since we heard from Amalthea and THEMeeple.
Yeah :-(
Jun 18, 2015 5:05 am
Well...what do you guys want to do then? Should we keep playing? I can open this up to more people and hit the forums...but the story is really tied up in the current cast of characters.
Jun 18, 2015 5:45 am
I'd like to wait for them. That is, if they still intend to play.
Jun 19, 2015 4:34 pm
I will be away for a couple of days and unable to post. Thanks!
Jun 19, 2015 6:06 pm
I'd love to continue, but we should wait for Jabes to return. Maybe we proceed as we are for the chimera battle and then see whats what?
Jun 19, 2015 11:33 pm
I'm OK with this idea.
Jun 21, 2015 3:05 pm
I'm back. Yeah let's finish the battle at least :-)
Jun 22, 2015 2:49 pm
foolsmask says:
Rolls
Dragon Lion attack Forcefully (+2)
2 Positive, 1 Blank, 1 Negative - Total: +1
Goat snake attack Forcefully (+2)
1 Positive, 1 Blank, 2 Negative - Total: -1
(So that's a 3 and a 1 total coming at you.)
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Rolls
Defend Cleverly (+4) against Dragon Lion attack
2 Positive, 2 Blank, 0 Negative - Total: +2
Defend Quickly (+2) behind Recently Fallen Trees (+2) against Goat Snake attack
2 Positive, 1 Blank, 1 Negative - Total: +1
Just for my own continuous learning of how Fate works: Having invoked Recently Fallen Trees on the 2nd roll, Diginus now has 1 less Fate Point, correct? Actually, I didn't need to invoke the aspect as the Defense roll resulted in a +3 which was more than enough to beat the +1 Attack it was defending against. Am I right?
foolsmask says:
your next attack gets a +4 against Chimera. Normally the boost only against the attacker that failed to hit you, so it would be a +2 against one person, but this is a special situation.
Can I apply this boost to an Attack action causing the elemental to slash the chimera with its lightning sword? If I wanted, would it be possible for me to also invoke Distracted By Diginus for the same action?
Jun 23, 2015 12:06 am
You've nailed it. The only thing that I feel needs to be mentioned is that if you had not invoked the "recently fallen trees" during your defend roll you would not have gotten two Success with Style results, only one.

However you could then invoke it on the attack roll and get the same net benefit you now have. So you could look at it as you hedged your bet on that roll and it paid off so you get the bonus for the fate point twice. Had you not spent it the result would have still been OK, just not great like it turned out.

And just so we are clear...spend as many Fate points as you want, normally you can only invoke a single aspect once this way, on any given roll, but your "Distracted by Diginus gets to be invoked multiple times because you are focused on it.

Also...the consequence on Chimera "Wounded Led"can be invoked once for free. I think I forgot to mention that before. Anyone can invoke it if they feel it is appropriate to the action (like an attack) but only one person gets it for free. After its been used it needs to be paid for.
Jun 23, 2015 4:57 pm
So...I did reduce Chimera's max stress because the party shrank so much but it still qualified as a tough challenge for two characters. You spent a lot of Fate Points and had some great strategies and rolls. So good job. Your official stress against it totaled 11. It had a minor consequence (worth 2 stress) and three more physical stress before it was taken out completely. It was on a fact finding mission so fighting to 0 stress was never in the plan. I had decided that Chimera would flee if its consequences ever got filled and you guys pretty much got it there.
Jun 23, 2015 11:43 pm
Interesting! I ran FAE (Star Wars) for some friends once, but we handwaved most of the rules.
Jun 24, 2015 12:09 am
Well that is the great thing about Fate products in my opinion...they are very modular so things can be used or not as needed.
Jun 26, 2015 11:15 pm
Will post soon...busy day.
Jun 30, 2015 2:48 pm
Your Koco post is hilarious. If you've heard the parrot singing "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" on Youtube, you'll know why haha.
Youtube link
Jun 30, 2015 3:05 pm
That's awesome. I had a Yoda like voice in my head but that has replaced Yoda completely. Though the speech pattern will stay.
Aug 10, 2015 8:07 pm
Ok, I'm sorry it took me so long to put a new post up. Honestly, the trip through the woods should not have posed any difficulty to Digginus as he would have just teleported around any physical obstacles, but I'll go along with Qralloq's post anyway. I'm not sure what rolls to make on either his or my posts though :-)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.