Session 2 - Where In The World Is Mrs. Polaski?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 8, 2017 3:55 pm
Mythic Session Records

Character List
* Mrs. Polaski - Client who hired me last session to find her missing husband. She has gone missing.
* Black Car Thug 2 - Helped to kidnap me and then got shot by yours truly during my escape. They survived.
* Black Car Thug 1 - Helped to kidnap me and disappeared during my escape, presumably with the bodies of Mr. Polaski & my wheelchair riding captor.
* Amore Renata - Rich's across the street neighbor who got angry because a fake cable company drove over her rose bush.

Thread List
* Prove self-defense in the shooting of BCT2.
* Find Mrs. Polaski.
* Discover why the Polaskis have been targeted.
* Find out what the bad guys did at Amore's house.

Current Chaos: 5

Scene 1:
Setup: Standing at the back sliding door of the Polaski residence, looking in on the chaos of Mrs. Polaski's apparent kidnapping.
Chaos Roll: 9. No changes to scene setup.

Chaos increases by one due to the events in the scene.

Scene 2:
Setup: Sitting at home watching TV when Mrs. Polaski calls to discuss further investigation.
Chaos Roll: 6. That is equal to Chaos and even, so the scene is interrupted. Random event happens: Introduce a new NPC. Negligence, Dispute.

I'll drop Chaos by one as the scene turned out pretty bland.

Scene 3:
Setup: Meeting Mrs. Polaski for drinks and to discuss the case.
Chaos Roll: 10. That's more than the current Chaos score so the scene is not changed.

Leaving Chaos as is.

Scene 4:
Setup: Returning to my office to do a little research on Mrs. Polaski's son.
Chaos Roll: 10. No change to the scene.

Chaos will reduce by one for another bland scene.

Scene 5:
Setup: Heading to the police station to try and get the charges against me dropped.
Chaos Roll: 4. Less than Chaos and even, so the scene is interrupted. Focus: PC Negative, Action: Assist, Subject: Weapons.
Apr 8, 2017 4:27 pm
Scene 1

I stare through the glass, unsure of what to do. If I call the cops, I could get dragged in again and that's definitely not something I want to do. But, if they find out I was here later and didn't report it, well... Ah, hell.

I pull out my phone, quickly dialing 911. "Hello, my name is Richard Spotter, I'm a P.I. and I'm at a client's house at 10234 W Warm Springs Rd. I can see signs of a struggle and blood inside, I'm going to break in and see if anyone's still here that needs help." I hang up, not waiting for them to try and talk me into waiting for a patrol car to get here.

Ok. Here goes nothing. I'm not one for picking locks, so I just kick the glass. (Roll 66 v 45 Strength). The glass pane vibrates a little as my foot bounces off of it and I stumble backwards with a slight twinge in my knee. Ok, bad idea. I pick up one of the patio chairs and slam it into the glass. (Rolling again with bonus die, Roll 23 v 45). The glass shatters with a crash. I toss the chair to the side and gingerly step through the opening, my feet crunching on glass shards. I reach for my pistol but don't find it. Crap, I forgot they kept it as evidence. I look around, trying to find a knife or something here in the kitchen that I could use to defend myself, if needed. (Rolling Luck with bonus die, Roll 13 v 28). I grab a large knife from a wooden block and walk further into the kitchen.

"Hello?" I call. I doubt there will be an answer, but might as well try. (Rolling on the Mythic Fate Chart, Unlikely I get an answer, 28 v 35). A weak, choking voice calls out, "Help me!" It sounds like it's coming from upstairs. I walk through the dining room, past the scratched up table that's streaked with blood, to the stairs. I peek around the corner, hoping to whatever spirits live here that no one's pointing a gun at me, waiting for my head to poke around. (Rolling Spot Hidden, 63 v 60. As that's a failure, I'll say there's someone waiting for me). As I quickly scan the upstairs, a shot rings out. (Rolling 51 v 50 for the shooter, fail). The bullet smacks into the wall, throwing dust into my face.

I jerk back, squeezing my eyes shut, quickly rubbing them to clear the dust. There's no way I can take on a shooter with a knife.
Apr 13, 2017 4:47 am
I quickly weigh my options. Mrs. Polaski is upstairs in need of help. There's at least one person up there with a gun who wants to kill me. I'm armed only with a knife. I need another weapon. Knowing what I know about Mr. Polaski, I'm willing to bet that there's some sort of firearm in the living room. I just need to get there. (Rolling Dodge to dive across the stairway to get to the living room without getting shot. 44 v 50.)

As I dive across the opening of the stairway, another shot rings out, cracking into the hardwood floor. I grunt as my impact with the floor kicks slams into my ribs. I scramble into the living room and start to look for a firearm. (Rolling Spot Hidden 84 v 60.) I throw cushions from the seats, yank open drawers and make a huge mess. But, I don't find anything. Wonderful.

Ok, I'm outgunned, on lower ground and have less knowledgenof the upstairs layout than whoever is shooting at me. I have no good options; even waiting corner cops could mean disaster for Mrs. Polaski. Ok, a rush it is.

I grab a vase and heft it, getting a feel for it. I quickly move to the bottom of the stairs holding the knife in my left hand and the vase in my right. Here goes nothing. I throw the vase around the corner and follow it up immediately, hoping to catch the gunner off guard. (Rolling Throw to distract, 30 v 20. Crap, spending 10 Luck points to get a success.)

The vase flies through the air and shatters on the wall where a corner sticks out. I pound up the stairs behind it, running up to a figure in black, face covered by a ski mask. As I get close, I slam my shoulder into them, driving my knife home. (Fighting Brawl 20 v 25.) The figure sees me at the last minute and tries to twist out of the way. (Rolling Dodge with penalty die. 66 v 50.) My knife drives into the figures gut and they double over my hand with a terrified grunt. (Rolling d6+d4 damage. 8 dmg.)
Apr 13, 2017 5:07 am
The figure tumbles to the ground with a gasp and lies still. I step cautiously forward, listening for signs of any other assailants. (Rolling Very Unlikely on the Fate Chart. 53 v 25.) It seems to be all clear. I step forward, checking the rooms that spring off this hallway one by one. When I check the third one, I see Mrs. Polaski on the floor, bloodied and bound with duck tape.

"Hang on, I'll get you free," I say as I kneel down next to her. She looks at me, frightened, over her shoulder and then squeezes her eyes together with a moan of relief when she sees me. I quickly cut her free and help her sit up.

"Are you hurt anywhere?" I glance at her body, looking for serious wounds. (Is she seriously hurt? About a 50/50 chance. 07 v 50. That's an Extreme Yes.)

She coughs out a sob and blood shatters my chest. Ok, so, that's a yes. Some internal injury, of course, something that I can help with.

"It hurts to breathe," she gasps.

"Ok." I nod. "Let's get you downstairs for the ambulance." I reach down, gathering her up. She reaches up, wrapping an arm around my neck. I lift her up and carefully carry her down the stairs. My back screams at me while I do it. I'm not really a strong guy.
Apr 14, 2017 3:25 am
The ambulance comes and takes her away. The cops cone and ask a lot of questions while a second ambulance takes the assailant away. They don't take me away. Thank the spirits for small miracles. It seems that this attack is lending some credibility to my story. I hate that it took someone else getting hurt to convince them of what I already know: I'm a stand-up guy.

What? I am.

Tho gs go quiet for awhile. I decide to take some time to heal from my wounds and figure out what my next step is. (Do I get to rest the full 10 days I need to get to full HP? Somewhat likely, 95 v 65. So, no.)

Five days later, I'm sitting in front of the TV streaming some crap show when the phone rings.
Apr 14, 2017 3:47 am
Scene 2

I reach over to pick up the phone from the table next to my couch when my door suddenly rattles in its frame as someone pounds on it from the outside. I start and my phone clatters to the ground. Carefully, I stand up, grabbing my new pistol and holding it behind my back as I move to answer the door.

I slowly grip the handle, peeking out the peep hole. (Man? 50/50, 87 v 65. Woman). A middle aged woman stands angrily on my porch. Deftly I turn the lock and handle one after the other and smoothly pull it open.

"Yes? Can I help you?" I ask.

"You bet you can!" she snarls. "You can call that cable company you referred to me and have them pay for my rose bush that they destroyed!" Her face is splotchy and her hands are trembling with rage.

I blink. "The what that I what?" I say. "Ma'am, I don't know you. I didn't refer anyone to you. You must be mistaken." I step back and start to close the door when her hand shoots out, slapping the door and holding it open.

"Oh, no you don't!" she shouts. Her other hand points at me. "You're Rich Spotter. You sent Desert Cable over to do a free installation inspection. They came. They quoted a price I wasn't happy with and when they were done, they drove off, right over my rose!"
Apr 16, 2017 3:38 am
I shake my head in confusion. "I... I really don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry, I don't even know your name." I wait for her to respond.

She scoffs. "I'm Amore Renata... your neighbor from across the street," she cries in disbelief.

"I'm sorry," I say with an embarrassed smile. "I keep to myself and I tend to get wrapped up in my work. I apologize for forgetting your name." I step back, pulling the door open. "Won't you come in? Tell me more about it?" (Charm to calm her down so she's more personable. 45 v. 66. Success!)

After slight hesitation, she steps through the door. I close it after her and turn to see her taking in my small living room. She looks like she's in her mid-thirties, obviously cares about her body but not into building it up. She appears to be a normal woman. She's not likely to be working with the two men who abducted me.

As she turns back to look at me, I turn on the charm again, giving her a bright smile. "All right, can I get you anything to drink? Water? Soda? Something else?" She shakes her head. "Well, then please, sit," I invite her.

She sits with a small sigh, leaning back on my moderately comfortable couch. "I'm sorry for coming over so aggressive," she says, "but I love that rose bush. And, now it's gone."

I nod in response to her. "I can understand that you want someone to be held responsible for the bush. Completely, but please, believe me when I say I had nothing to do with it."

She sighs again and shakes her head. "I know, you weren't driving the van. I tried to call the company, but I couldn't find a listing and they mentioned your name so I stormed over here to get their number from you and I just let it get out of hand."

I nod, taking in what she's said. (Does Desert Cable actually exist? Very Unlikely, 37 v 33. No it does not.) "Amore, have you ever heard of Desert Cable before? I haven't."

She shakes her head, "No, I haven't. But, I don't keep up with the cable companies in town. Are they new?"

I shake my head slowly. "No, not as far as I'm aware. I don't think Desert Cable actually exists. I've never heard of them, so of course I didn't refer them." I watch as the color drains from her face. One fist clenches while the other floats up and rests on her chest.

"So... so I had strangers lie to me to gain access to my house for... for what?" she gasps.

I shrug and look out my front window, across the street, to her house. "If I had to guess, I think it's to keep tabs on me." My eyes bore into the front walls of her house across the street, looking, trying to find a reason why they would be in her house. It's almost impossible to tell anything from this far away.

She clears her throat and I realize that I've been silent for long enough for it to be awkward. "Oh! Sorry, lost in thought," I say, flippantly gesturing towards my head. "I'm a Private Investigator and my last case pulled me into some pretty nasty stuff. I think that whoever is calling the shots has decided to use your house, your cable, to keep tabs on me."

I think I broke her. She is sitting on my couch, staring at me, her mouth partway open in disbelief.

"I'd love to help out, though!" I continue. "Would it be all right if I go over there and see if I can figure out what they were doing?"

She nods her head vigorously before I've even completed my question.
Apr 21, 2017 1:48 am
We walk over to her house and I can tell she's rather jumpy. The rose bush in question is broken and mangled, obviously from a vehicle tire. So, that much of her story check out.

Once inside, I begin to check her house for surveillance devices pointed at my property. (Spot Hidden, 48 v 60. So, I've found something. Is it something mundane? 50/50, vs 55, yes.) A small camera changes under the eaves of her house, tied I to her cable. They've obviously got another hookup somewhere else to receive the feed.

Returning to her living room, I show her the camera. "This was hanging under your roof, pointed my way. You don't recognize it?"

She shakes her head, shocked that my suspicious came true. "No, I don't," she says. Her voice darkens in anger. "I'm gonna due them. Those good for nothing spies!"
Apr 21, 2017 1:54 am
I tell her that I'll track them down and do what I can to see they are brought to justice.

After saying goodbye, I walk back to my house and pick my phone up off the floor. I see that I've got a voicemail from Mrs. Polaski.

"Hi, Rich. I'm just checking in. I... I'd like to talk to you about... Well, you know, my husband. So... give me a call when you can. Thanks."

I dial her back. When she answers, I simply say, "I could use a drink. Wanna join?"
Apr 26, 2017 9:54 pm
Scene 3

I walk into the bar, blinking at the change in light level from outside. I glance around and spot Mrs. Polaski seated at a table in a corner. (Is she dressed up? Somewhat likely, 14 v. 60. Yep.) She looks great, nice clothes, makeup perfect... She doesn't look like a woman grieving for her husband. I shake my head in chagrin. As if there's a look to grief! Glancing down at my own attire, I'm a little embarrassed.

Pulling out a chair, I sit. "Hey. Been waiting long?"

She saw me walk up and gives me a small smile. "No, I haven't even ordered a drink yet." As if on cue, a waitress comes and asks for our drink orders. I get tequila. She orders wine.

As we wait for our drinks, she fiddles with a napkin. "So, Rich, tell me," she says.

I sigh, leaning back in my chair. Shrugging, I say, "I don't have anymore information. I'm sorry, I really am. I wish I could have gotten to him sooner." The table is silent amidst the auditory chaos around us and we both stare at the table. "I may have one lead, though. Maybe."

She looks up at that, her eyes wet. "Maybe? That's not very encouraging." Her tone is sarcastic.

I shrug again. "No, it's not. But, a fake cable crew bugged my neighbors house to keep tabs on me. I have to believe that they are involved in this case."

(Does she have anymore useful information? 99 v 40. Extreme No.)

She sighs as our drinks arrive. "Just drop it, ok? I lost my husband to this mess. I'd hate to see you lose something, too."

I fumble my drink as I'm picking it up, slopping some alcohol on my fingers in my shock. "What? I... no, I cant. It just... wouldn't be right." I breathe for a second, collecting my thoughts. "Don't you want to know what happened to him? Don't you want him back? Don't you want closure?"
Apr 27, 2017 9:45 pm
She shakes her head. "Of course i do! But it's too dangerous."

I narrow my eyes at her. She can't really want me to let this go. There has to be something making her say this. I take a sip of my drink and set it down. "Someone threatened you, didn't they?" I ask in a quiet voice. (Rolling Psychology, 13 v 60. Yes.) Her eyes widen and she trembles slightly in alarm and takes a large swallow of her wine. I lean toward her, over the table.

"If someone threatened you, you have to tell me. We can't let them get away with this." (Persuade, 74 v 20. Nope). She shakes her head vehemently and a lock of blond hair falls in front of one eye.

"No! You and I aren't the only ones at risk," she hisses. Her hands are truly trembling now. She watches the wine in her glass slide around with her movements before sharply putting the glass down and dropping her hands to her lap.

I raise an eyebrow, confused. "Who else is in danger? Who are you protecting?" (Is it a secret child? Somewhat Likely 43 v 60.)

She looks around, her nervousness obvious to anyone watching us. Leaning closer, she says, "My son. I had him years ago before I was married and gave him up for adoption."

I shake my head, still confused. "How is he in all this?" I ask.

She looks down at the table, breathing, and then looks up at me, meeting my gaze. "I've always been a part of his life, but just as a family friend. Somehow... somehow they found out."

"Who found out? Who did?" Desperation is creeping into my voice. "I need to know who we're up against!"

Dropping her gaze once more, she just shakes her head, then stands up. "Just leave it alone, Mr. Spotter." With that, she turns and walks out the door.
Apr 28, 2017 9:50 pm
Scene 4

Back at my office, I shut the door and shrug out of my jacket, dropping it on a chair. With a sigh I move to my desk, flopping into my chair. It breaks under the assault and I shake my head. I need an easier case. But first, gotta find out who's on my back and get them off it.

After flipping on my computer, I start searching around for any leads on Mrs. Polaski's son. If I can track him down, I might be able to find whatever tail the bad guys put on him. (Rolling Computer Use, 37 v 20). After a couple hours, I give up. The bad guys must have a computer wizard working for them. Or, I just suck with computers.

I rub my eyes, trying to get rid of the fatigue and dryness of staring at my monitor. After another deep breath, I decide that I need to come at this from another direction. This game cable company will have left some kind of trail, I'm sure of it. Pulling my keyboard towards me, I start clicking away. (Rolling Computer Use 64 v 20. Another no).

After another couple hours, I shove the keyboard away from me in disgust. Really, what kind of investigator am I? I push away from my desk, looking up at the basketball signed my MJ himself that hangs on my office wall. "I could really use a distraction," I say out loud. I pick up my cell phone from my desk and dial my sister, Tomi. (Does she answer? 50/50, 82 v 50. Nope). The phone rings and rings and sends me to voicemail. Looking at the clock, I see why, it's after midnight. I shake my head. "Always losing track of time."

I decide to head home and turn in for the night.

(Gonna gain 1 hp back).
Apr 29, 2017 10:34 pm
Scene 5

I wake up to darkness. My bedroom ceiling is lined with fingers of light slipping in through the blinds from the streetlamp outside. I blink, wondering why I’m awake. (Rolling Spot Hidden, 05 v 60. Extreme success.)

I see a dark figure in the corner of my room, standing where the outside light doesn’t shine. It doesn’t appear to be looking my way, so I roll out of bed, reaching for my revolver, which I had places under my pillow last night. (Dex roll, 78 v 70. Fail.) My hand slaps the weapon, knocking it onto the pitch black floor and drawing my visitor’s attention. I stand before them, in t-shirt and boxers, ready for action.

(Is the figure armed? Seems Very Likely. 46 v 80. Yep.) The figure turns toward me, one hand held up. Perfect. They’ve got a gun. "Who are you? What do you want?" I growl.

The figure chuckles. Ok, so it’s a man. "Cross your ankles and kneel on the floor," he growls back at me. (Does this guy really want to shoot me? Psychology 97 v 60. I have no idea.)

"Ok, ok," I say. I do as he says, putting my hands on my head for good measure. "Are you here to kill me?" I ask.
May 1, 2017 9:39 pm
(Does this person want to kill me? 50/50, 61 v 50. No, they don’t.)

"No," they say. "I’m just here to give you a warning. Stop investigating the Polaski case. Someone’s going to get hurt if you don’t."

I shake my head. "I can’t do that. You killed my client’s husband. Justice has to he served."

The figure sighs and the pistol’s muzzle drops slightly. "Justice has been served. You saw to that."

I pause. They sound remorseful, maybe? "Ok, maybe I did. Give us his body. Give my client some closure." (Rolling Persuade, 23 v 20. Nope. My Luck total is only 18, so I’m not going to spend for a success.)

The figure shakes their head, "No, that’s not possible. Not going to happen." (Do they pocket their pistol? Unlikely, 13 v 40. Yep!) The figure suddenly slides their pistol into a holster inside their jacket. "You’ve been warned," they say, before turning and walking out of my bedroom.

I let out a breath and it seems to rattle in my throat. After waiting a few seconds, I stand up quickly and rush to a front window, to try and catch a glimpse of the dark figure and maybe get a vehicle license plate or something. (Spot Hidden, 97 v 60. Bummer.) I look out the blinds only to see empty street both ways. Great. There’s another lead that’s disappeared.

Shaking from the experience, I walk back to bed. I lay there for a couple hours before I calm down enough to get to sleep. Even then, my rest is fitful and I start awake several times, feeling like eyes watch me.
May 8, 2017 9:57 pm
The next morning I slowly pull myself out of bed and get cleaned up. I am exhausted.

After downing a cup of coffee, I make my way to the police station to talk to the detective in charge of my shooting case. While we’ve never worked together on any cases, I’ve only heard good things about him from my cop friends.

He finds me sitting in the chair next to his desk. He hesitates when he sees me, but then continues to walk my way. "Spotter, what are you doing here?"

I take a sip of the coffee someone gave me when they told me to wait right here for Det. Martin. I give him a small smile. "Why, waiting for you of course." Ok, no laugh or smile. Gotta keep going. "I want to know what I have to worry about. I mean, with what happened at the Polaski place, I think all charges against me should be dropped. I mean, I hope they would be. That event should certainly give my account of the warehouse events some weight, right?" I meet his gaze he stares me down for a second or two before responding. (Are the charges being dropped? I think it’s Likely. 55 v. 70, yes! Also a random event happens, Move toward a thread, Desert, Business. What could that possibly mean?)

He sits down heavily in his desk chair and gives me a chuckle. "Yeah, you’re off the hook. I actually just finished discussing it with my boss and was going to give you a call." He shrugs. "Don’t make a habit of this. You might not be in the right, next time."

I nod soberly, "Yeah, it’s always a hard call." We sit in silence for a few seconds before it gets broken by a young woman plopping a folder onto his desk.

"Martin, there’s that research you wanted on Desert Cable. Let me know if you need anything else." Martin waves her a thank you.

I perk up at the mention of Desert Cable. "You looking into Desert Cable?" I ask. He stares at me before responding.

"Yeah, and it’s an on-going investigation," he says.

Oh, no, I gotta see what’s in his file. "Hey, I think they might be tied up with this Polaski case," I say. "A van with guys claiming to be with Desert Cable conned their way into my neighbor’s house to install a camera faced at my house yesterday."

At this his eyes widen. "Ok, what’s the address?" I give it to him. "Ok," he says, "I’ll swing by and have a word."

I wait for a few seconds. "C’mon, can I see your file? I need to followup on these guys."

He laughs and shakes his head. "No way! I told you, it’s my investigation."

I lean forward in my chair, placing my coffee cup at the edge of his desk. "Come on, this was my case first. This is the Polaski case. I still need answers. Please." (Rolling Persuade 55v. 20. Nope.)

He shakes his head and stands. "Come on, I’ll walk you out." I sigh.

"I know the way." I look back at him as I do so and watch as he opens the folder and starts reviewing whatever report he was given.
May 9, 2017 9:57 pm
As I leave, I look for the young woman who gave Martin the report. If I can’t get him to share the report, perhaps going to the source will reveal it. (Rolling Spot Hidden 62 v. 60. Grrrr. Gonna push it.) I don’t spot her as I’m walking towards the front so I decide that I’ll "look for the bathroom" and turn down another hallway. (Rolling again, 56 v. 60. Much better.)

I follow the smell of coffee and come upon a break room with the door open. Poking my head inside I see the petite figure I’m seeking. I stroll in and grab a styrofoam cup and grab a pot of coffee. "And one for the road!" I say, trying to get her attention. When she glances over, I give her my 100 watt smile. (Rolling Charm 42 v. 66.)

She smiles back at me though her brow furrows a bit. "You’re not supposed to be in here," she says.

"Technically, no. But I’m a familiar face around here and Martin said I could grab a cup on my way out, as long as I did it quickly." I set the pot down and lean against the counter and inhale the wonderful aroma.

She watches me for a few seconds then says, "This is fast?"

I chuckle. "Gotta take time for coffee. Gotta get the ritual in." She laughs at that, a strong, confident laugh. Making her laugh feels good. I shake my head internally. Eye on the prize, buddy.

Smiling, I hold my hand out and set the coffee down with the other, "Where are my manners. Rich Spotter."

She smiles back and grips my hand firmly, "Dana. Dana Mills."

Picking my coffee back up, I take a sip. "So what do you do around here, Dana? I don’t think I’ve seen you around before."

Dana turns as the microwave behind her beeps, pulling it open and removing a plate with a steaming hot pocket on it. "I’m a forensic accountant," she says before turning back around to look at me. "I mostly work on corporate fraud cases."

I nod. "Like the Desert Cable case."

"Yep. Like that one. It’s a weird one. It’s not actually a company but it has ties to a company in town."

I nod. "Interesting. Which company is it tied to?"

She chuckles, "Aren’t you the curious one!"

I shrug. "You are very interesting. What you do, I mean." She smiles, taken with my charm. I think I might be taken with hers.

"Morgan, LLC. It’s a small company that’s very rich. Daniel Morgan, the owner, is also very sick. No one’s seen him for years."

You do not have permission to post in this thread.